The Different UFO(x-com) games

zeddius

Sleeplessone

you CPU is not designed to be FORCED to run that slow just the same as overclocking, slowing the CPU down that much is not a feature of the cpu it's no SUPOSED to be able to do it. and by doing it you invalidate any warranty you have on it.

I've worked on tech support for PCs and believe me people screwing around with things like this can end in disaster and all i could do was refer them to thier warranty saying they have altered the operation of thier machine beyond it's intended use. As a result has damaged some of the hardware which we cannont be held responsable for.

it's works just don't be suprised IF your cpu gets damaged :angel:

Turning down your voltage to underclock the CPU would be a bad thing, but I think this is a software underclock that just slows the program down.

Correct me if i'm wrong. It's something like MoSlo (which, as you remember, is what we pointed people too when they couldn't get X-Com to run slow on their 200s)

The pieces of software don't touch voltages or the cpu speed - they just force more idle threads than normal so that less work is done in the same time.

I've had no trouble yet. Without it, UFO runs at 5 minutes per second when I set the game time to 5 seconds. :o

1) UFO Enemy Unknown (X-COM UFO Defense)

5) E-Mail Games - X-COM (The e-mail game, quite cool but impossible to find in the shops any more)

6) X-COM Enforcer (3rd person shooter)

2) X-COM Terror From The Deep

4) X-COM Interceptor (The rock-hard (on hard setting) flight simulator)

3) X-COM Apocalypse

*) X-COM Alliance (The never-completed first person shooter)

*) X-COM Genesis (The half-started fully-rotatable/zoomy UFO Enemy Unknown/UFO Aftermath type game that got canned years ago at about the same time as Alliance).

The above is in chronological order in the X-COM timeline of events. The number prefixing the game title is the order they were released in (never sure about Interceptor/Apoc :withstupid:).

Ehh, sorry... Didn't see the numbers... And yeah, Interceptor's timeline is between TFTD and Apoc.

About all the old games, I find the best way is to partition your hard drive, so you have win 98 on one and xp on the other so now I can go back play all the classic games that won't run on XP, even in compatibility mode.... ufo, tftd, civilization, transport tycoon :withstupid: oh the list is endless ;) hehe!

S.

Hey making my first post so be gentle

well i am one of the lucky owners of the X-com collectors edition :angel: but unfortunatly even that version of apocalypse doesn't work in xp thou i doudt they made any changes from the original one. Which is one of the reason why i never really played it. So my question is does anybody know how to make it work on in XP ? or is that totally impossible? runnig dual boot just so i can play one game seems like such a hassel.

X-Com UFO Defence and X-Com Terror form the Deep runs fine in xp as long as you disable direct draw just remember you did it or you will get a big surprise when none of your other games work *not that it ever happent to me.........* scroll speed is still af problem but i ran fine on my 700 mhz 128 md ram at the lowest scrool speed but that was before i upgraded. maybe somebody wil find that information useful thou i am not sure if this only works with the collectors edition.

One last "funny" fact the collectors edition came with a X-com Alliance poster a shame it never was relaesed.

sorry for going on and on

Fairly sure I got most of the games in the right order there - check the Timeline pages at x-com.co.uk - it's all in there in grey and white (with pictures! :withstupid:) Just couldn't be bothered checking myself before posting so I apologise if something's a little out.

TerrorFromTheDeep:

Actually no as I said microprose gave away all rights and it is shareware now so you can put the link back, pcgamer itself said this is a free program and we didn't pay anything for it. It was some top ten list of greatest game that are free now or something. Companys can do that sort of thing you know letting people download it for free after awhile.
I'm not really bothered as to what Microprose have or haven't done as they no longer own the rights and haven't done for years.

I'll check up with Infogrames/Atari and see what they say as it's their licence to play with, but the PCGamer version was probably a special version and I'd like to triple-check with teh current licence holders first if that's alright ;)

Having experienced Infogrames' legal department, I'd rather be 100% sure (in writing with permanent ink if possible) about this, as if so then I can whack it up for downlaod at my other site.