Alien Technology - Time or Event based???

rking999

Hi,

Have been playing this game solid for a couple of days and just wanted to see if anyone out there has noticed the same thing...

When the Area 51 mission popped up I did it staright away and evetually got through - However, when I did the next set of crashed UFO, based missions, the alien technology was at the same level as the Area 51 aliens, although before this they were at a poor level.

Then came the Russian mission, again the aliens didnt even know what a rocket launcher or micro slug gun was until I tried this mission. Managed to finish it after much saving and reloading and luck... However, the next crashed UFO, Base mission involved mass levels of Rocket Launchers and nicro slug guns....

Was just wondering whether the alien technology improves when you accept these missions or whether it gets better depending on how much time passes?? Can anyone shed any light on this before I experiment??

I was wondering as well, since my friend and I are at about the same point in the plotline, yet he has had enough time to crank out many items from his engineers (especially armor), whereas I have only managed to build a few items. I believe we have comparable numbers of engineering bases.

I'm thinking it may indeed be more event-driven rather than time-driven, since I was very aggressive about taking as many missions as possible as quickly as possible... it seems it may be better to slow down and let the engineers build and research complete before attracting too much attention to oneself(?)

Ahh, but then if you wait too long, and believe you me, those missions are a lot harder than if you take it right away. I just retook Area51 as I started a new game, still on Hard ofcourse :blink: , and there were fewer aliens and much easier to handle. Also, I got the Area 51 mission much sooner now than in the previous game with the same research level as before. I think this game is both event and timebased (on a random level). Just do some saves and just let your Geoscape just run with out doing any missions, and missions wether story or regular missons appear more or less at random.

Still, I learn and revise my ideas about this game every day. There are so many really good aspects about it that this gotta be awarded Strategy Game of the Year :rolleyes:

Z.

I have - the biomass starts spreading even if you sit tight. I've only done the first plot mission and now planters are appearing. Every planter you don't shoot down drops some of the biomass.

I missed one and now a blob has appeared in the Near East.

Take those planters down at all costs! If you need to, convert more bases to military so you have plenty of fighters (I have 50% military bases). As soon as an aircraft tech arrives, research it.

OK - So the planters start doing their business after the Area 51 mission.

What about before you try the area 51 mission? Or does the biomass start from day1?? In which case you will be against the clock to get the stuff sorted - which would make sense...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, yet another veteran xcom player to come here :withstupid:

10 days have passed since i started the game (normal, v1.2), and i have spotted a planter and couldn't take it down.

Now this happened just before i closed U:AM and then i came to this thread where ppl are saying i should see planters after a mission about "Area 51" and that if i dont shoot down this planter i would face this 'biomass' thing.

Now just wondering is this normal?

i think the planters appear right away, but dont start spreading biomass straight away. also, it might depend on your success rate and number of bases( lots of bases means seeing more planters) if you shoot them down, you wont see biomass till later on, but it will appear eventuall. i think theres a deadline latest you can go to without it appearing. scripted event?