Shotguns of death

the_dead

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an anomaly or what, but my shotguns in the game v1.3 are ridiculously powerful, they never seem to miss even when I have only 12% to hit or something, and they seem to cause critical damage 3 in 4 times from the longest range possible to fire them. I'm not running any mods or anything like that, has anyone else had these super shotguns of death? I've stopped using them for now just to be fair to the poor aliens.

Well, this is what I've concluded from observation on the game, most weapons with busrt shots and some cases of the aimed shots have what I've called "fraction damage" this means that every shot is divided into "sub-shots" and every one of those shots has it's "hit" calculated from the "to-hit" value. This seems to emulate quite nicely the lack of accuracy of some weapons.

Hope my explanation was clear enough. I'll probably investigate more in the future to determine this.

Kret, I've definitely noticed that effect you describe with the microslug accelerator (because it fires 10 or 30 rounds per shot), but I've never noticed it with the shotguns (although the shotgun fires 15 pellets per shot).

the_dead: The soldiers Aliens skill dictates how likely they are to do critical damage(I think, it certainly increases the amount of damage they do).

None of my soldiers has a good alien skill though, perhaps I'm just being extremely lucky with them or something but it does get annoying when something that takes 10 rounds of uzi fire dies like a daisy from a shotgun fired at the maximum range, I think I'll just continue not to use the default shotgun while playing, unless those aliens REALLY p me off, in which case I'll use them out of spite :laugh:

As far as I've seen the Pump Action can do up to 3000 damage with SH alien skill and for a soldier do something close to 2000 they need about very good skill.

Additionally, why should you take pitty on those critters that are walking on OUR planet like it is their own backyard? I say "stuff'em" (with lead prefferably) :laugh:

• 3 months later...

After I played through the game once I realized that the two most deadly weapons you can get until heavy stuff are GRENADES and SHOTGUNS, all of my me have either a shotgun or grenade for the first half of the game...

I usually make combo's like medic / grenader and shotgun / sniper.. I found that when leveling my men these skills seem to go together very well....

When using the shotgun says 12% I always like to invert that number and say he's got a 12% chance of not making that alien into pudding!!! Just use them and don't worry about it being easy! It doesn't stay that way and the shotties are only good at very close range anyway...