Map editor available for download

daishiva

I got the program to start, but now it will not let me edit the map. It shows the map but I can't change anything on it. Any ideas about what is causing this?

you dont edit in the main windows.. that is for showing the results.. edit's are done with the topview grid. just read the manual.

• 1 month later...

ssvb:

It currently allows placing map elements in invalid slots. For example 'object' element can be placed in 'floor' slot and vice-versa. That can cause problems in the game not correctly interpreting these values (at least this is a problem for ufo2000).

well i wouldnt call this a problem per se, since you can use human thinking to solve the problem before it happens, but i see what you mean. I dont plan on limiting the map editor to only place 'ground tiles in ground spaces' but i could make it so that it would alert you to these problems (in hopes that they are easily fixable), would that be an acceptable comprimise? =)

ssvb:

It currently allows placing map elements in invalid slots. For example 'object' element can be placed in 'floor' slot and vice-versa. That can cause problems in the game not correctly interpreting these values (at least this is a problem for ufo2000).

well i wouldnt call this a problem per se, since you can use human thinking to solve the problem before it happens, but i see what you mean. I dont plan on limiting the map editor to only place 'ground tiles in ground spaces' but i could make it so that it would alert you to these problems (in hopes that they are easily fixable), would that be an acceptable comprimise? =)

Yes, that's acceptable.

yes it will be a toggle option as i was sure (80% sure) that the official maps didnt follow their 'rules'. Good to have the official answer at any rate, thanks =)

on a side note, there was no way you would be clicking OK on every 'illegal' tile placement, it just screams annoyance =) here is what i was thinking:

1) color the topView 'bad' tile background as red if it doesnt match its spot

2) add an option to scan for all 'bad' tiles, highlight them somehow on the mainView

3) add tabs to the tileView, call them walls, ground, content and all, leave it up to the user to place correct tiles. The 'ground' tab has all ground-flagged tiles, walls have wall-flagged tiles, etc.

4) any combination of the above

the current plan is to do them all - i like the organization aspect of #3, but i bet some people have already memorized where certain tiles are which is why the 'all' tab is there. #1 will be an option to turn on/off as i would hate having red tiles on my topView. #2 would be a button or menu item, straight scan, highlight with a red cursor box or something, in case you want to fix other people's maps i guess

if ssvb has input id like to hear it, as he is probably going to be using it much more than others (i would guess =)

course i have to get some time to work on the editor. Between work and GunBound my time is pretty limited.

Big plans are planned tho, and they are being worked on slowly, dont worry =)