Any intrest in a ufo/tftd map editor?

daishiva

https://members.cox.net/daishiva/mv.gif

Is there any intrest in this at all? I know this is (basically) the first time i have said anything about this, just wondering if anyone cares =) If so, the documentation will be finished real soon, if not, then so what, right? :P

ahh yes ufo2k, it would be useful for you guys wouldnt it :P

and since you dont need to make rmp maps it makes the process even easier (rmp are the route files used by the AI in the game)

alright then, i'll try and get it up in a couple days (hope hope)

hmmm, cant edit my existing post.... owell

i should mention that even tho the screenshot above is for tftd, the map format+image format is the same for UFO as it is for tftd, i just didnt 'install' the editor on my machine to use UFO, so dont worry about that

(iirc, ufo2k uses the ufo defense mapset/images)

Is there any intrest in this at all? I know this is (basically) the first time i have said anything about this, just wondering if anyone cares =) If so, the documentation will be finished real soon, if not, then so what, right?  :P

Yes, there is definitely interest.

The screenshot looks very very promising.

To put it briefly: WOW!!!!!!!!!

R.

if anyone wants to get a jump start on this, you will need to download and install the .net framework. If you have been following the xcom.net project that was started about a month ago (in the 'ideas for the new xcom game' forum) it also uses the .net framework

for a link to the download page, visit my website, the link is on the first line of the page - www.daishiva.com

Downloaded it, it doesn't work. :P

I am getting an error - "Application is generating an exception that could not be handled" - followed by a bunch of hexa-decimal numbers identifying it. I have DX9, .Net framework, and the program is in my UFO directory.

well i recompiled it and uploaded it to the same place, its running on my end. I would make sure that you installed it correctly - if you are unsure, delete the paths.pth file and you will get the option to select ANY FILE in the ufo and/or tftd directory (you dont need to have both)

I had the same problem Jman 4117 described when I set the path for the UFO-directory. I always got stuck with this exception error.

I solved it by setting the path for the TFTD directory first. The program runs fine (it's great BTW). Then I edited the path (within the program) by adding the path to the UFO directory. No problems at all, full access to all files of both games. Don't know why but it works.

Daishiva:

The programm seems only to recognize the standard maps coming with the game (ufo_110, ufo _120 etc.). I use BladeFirelight's designs for the medium scout (ufo_111 etc.) as well. Is it possible without renaming them to get them into the list of existing maps?

R.

Daishiva:

Forget my question about adding other maps. Figured it out.

As I said before: great!

No fiddling around with the old mapedit anymore, no tedious and frustrating attempts of reworking rmp-files anymore.

Thanks.

R.

yeah adding existing maps isnt as easy as it could, the paths editor was added as a thought for those that didnt like mucking around with text files

personally i think its easier to add in new maps by editing the mapedit.dat file directly, but it works thru the paths editor as well

get enough of these questions and i can start a faq =)