Finally got to play XCOM2 again...

Space Voyager

Been contemplating a restart for a loooong time now and finally I gathered the will to do it. I was kinda ashamed I never played through it, also Silencer's immense successes didn't help with my self-esteem. 

Now I finally started to get somewhere.

The main revelation came when I decided I simply won't take the viper king mission (and the other one with the engineer's father). I thought it would be my doom but it turns out you don't need to take those missions. Both led me to the death of my best soldiers in previous games as they appear early in the game and I had regular armour and weaponry. Which led to the demise of several of my best soldiers and whole best teams being in the infirmary for ages. When Mutons entered the game, I was dead in the water. Now my soldiers are pretty bad-ass and I have plenty of cool gadgets so both missions should be pretty easy to finish. Will do those now.

Second revelation was that I don't need any laboratory or workshops. What a waste of time, space and resources. Turns out we can get through all the research and work just fine without them.

I still hate that XCOM is so into soldier advancement. I mean, people are our greatest assets and all, but still - in XCOM2 they really go from zero to hero. It takes a lot of time and any loss is a huge setback as the difficulty ramps up just as fast as the soldiers advance. 

The egineer's father mission (Shen's Last Gift DLC) was a walk in the park. Ground all the mechs like nobody's business. I had that stupid grin on my face all the time, even when the... main menace (to avoid spoilers) appeared. And I definitely remember how this mission was the end of several of my games.