Fanfic update?

PvT Emil Thorsell

• 2 weeks later...

What about Ben Fischer's Kansai Arc? I've been wanting to re-read the story for a long time since I lost it when my drive broke down. :D

His story and Fernando's were the ones who really drove me into writing the Unknown Menace. Are you still waiting for permission to post the story here?

• 1 month later...

Alas! my 3rd chapter of my fanfic is done! I'm waiting for my madre to proofread some of it, as she edits for the NASA website(dont mean to be a braggart).

As soon as I'm done with that, all finishing touches have been made, I'll send it on over to Mouse.

I also need some ideas for my title. Right now I have it as: X-COM: The Extra-Terrestrial Combat Unit. But I think something a bit more snazzy is in order. Any cool ideas?

Also, what does Kiryu-Kai mean in Japanese?

My knowledge of Japanese is less than rudimentary but my opinion is that Kiryu-Kai has no meaning in that language and it was just made up by who wrote the timeline at Microprose.

The closest thing to Kiryu-Kai that i found is Kokuryu-Kai, which was the name of a Japanese secret society before WWII called Black Dragon Society. It makes sense that they based the name upon this society since it was secret its members were fanatical to Japan.

Ryu means dragon and Kai society. Just make up something for the Ki syllable since probably that's what the writer did. :)

Yeah, altavista doesn't translate any of that into english. Not Ryu, not Kai, and especially not Ki or Kiryu. Owell. Thank you for the help. Anyone an expert on Japanese? I'll put something in like, Anti-Dragon Society or something like that. Or Defending Dragon Society. Sounds cheesy though... D'oh!

The problem with Japanese translators is that written Japanese is an iconografic language: each caracter can have several different meanings, either separately or combined to other phrases. For instance, the real meaning of Kokuryu-Kai is Order of the Amur River. But in the West it was wrongly translated into another possible meaning of the word: Society of the Black Dragon (a much more mysterious name for a 'secret society')

It's my understanding that the Dragon is a symbol of Japanese society so better if you don't use that Anti-Dragon idea. Dragons are viewed in a completely different way on eastern cultures: they are symbols of power and magic, not evil creatures like western tradition characterizes them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to leave the translation out for now, because I need to post the first three chapters. I've stalled for long enough.

I'm thinking of maybe, Order of the Dragon? Or Society of the Dragon? I want a genuine translation, or at least the best I can get. Anyone have anything. Hobbes, your opinions are still good here!

Let's see....(this is all fruit of my imagination)

Order of the Hidden Dragon

Order of the Dragon's Eye

Order of the Pursing Dragon

Society of the Warrior Dragon

Society of the Stalking Dragon

I could come up with a dozen more like those...

• 2 weeks later...

As far as an update is concerned; I just finished up revisions to Chapter 6 of A Soldier's Tale. Mouse put it up a week or so ago. Seven should be done within a week or two. I'm currently working on about four things simultaneously so you'll have to forgive me if things start lagging a bit.

Also, one other thing. Cyber-discs.... do they detonate on the ground if taken down by a laser weapon? Been a while since I've played.