UFO Fanfiction Discussion

Carlos the Jackal

Yeah I thought it made sense to get a live reaper quite easily due to the two hearts and brains... Hence the incredibly erratic heartbeat Tam :thinking: It's not erratic at all really, the old doc just has no idea that she's listening to two of them at once :eh: One may also be slower than the other due to the injuries but that's not my department!

We can't take any more fatalities this mission which sucks a bit but we can take loads of woundings. It would be a good idea to open up some filler slots. For example, if squad one loses 4 members to the med bay it leaves 4 places for new recruits in their next mission. Killable troops always add variety to these missions.

We're only against floaters and reapers here though so its easy enough to do without casualties. The reapers are way more formidable than the floaters and we all know it...

Only specific thoughts I have is maybe Howitz running into a little trouble. Maybe a high explosive gone slightly wrong or an alien blocking his exit route after placing. It would be interesting to lose a couple of soldiers in a collapsed warehouse. Temporarly of course, not datally :eh:

Good to have you back Tam ;) Love you :P

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love you, too, but be careful who you call "old doc" :thinking:!

We definitely need some filler recruits when we get back to base. Injuries are good, though. They give me a chance to work my magic and engage in witty dialogue at the same time. :eh:

Wow what a heffer of a post :eh: If you think that's a big 'un though check out Snikers' post 292! That's what every post should be like :(

Which reminds me, at some point tomorrow, everyone needs to check out the downloadable fic topic I started. There is some applauding to do for certain people ;)

Back to this quickly tho because I need to be awake very soon and I can't help but notice I'm not even asleep yet! Do what you like with any and all of the situations I've set up just there. I started off knowing exactly what I wanted to do but I ended up adding and adding just because it was all linked together and I thought it read better without any content left out...

Big point is, the aliens are probably not looking for anything, that was just a logical explanation for so many of them being in one place in Howitz's mind. On the other hand though, something nearby is stopping his radio working and it's stopping Tammy from getting and medical data. I did the tablet thing just as a way to explain why the radio would just stop working as its military kit and Howitz hasn't even fallen on it yet :eh: Whatever it is that's interfering with it is up to someone else :P Also obviously the fact that Howitz could be absolutely fine, near critically injured or anything in between is another nice unknown now due to Tammy's cack readings showing that the HUD may be lying about him even being alive! BB he's yours so I'm pretty sure he's ok :) I just figure the easiest way to take out that many aliens was to level the place and maybe he got interrupted or got shot at or whatever... But something went a bit wrong! Even if maybe it went perfectly to plan and its just the hardware lying again and he's hundreds of meters away. He can't tell anyone cos his radio sucks :)

All for you to decide though! I've made the problem now someone else can solve it :thinking:

Whenever I'm tempted to start super-heroing with Howitz, someone always comes along and does it for me. This moves him even further ahead on the killing leaderboard. :thinking:

But then, who can resist blowing stuff up? bomberhappy.gif

Anyway, I'm sticking to my two-post-gap rule, so someone else has a chance to expand on his (and Warlord's) dilemma before I throw in my two cents. :eh:

Superheroing? Not ata ll, he's just a damn good sapper :thinking: Besides he's probably got himself buried under rubble or something :eh: And who knows how many of the buggers are even dead :)

so 2 post minimum huh? That means we need at least three regular posters. I'll be one, BB you can be two, who's no.3? Tammy maybe? Come on Tam, you're on your way to Howitz anyway so you can write some now :P

And I made you win your game too :eh:

Quick edit, just found thisimage in a UFO review. Floaters, Reapers and a slightly scared looking trooper! Classic fanfic imagery ;)

Well we know there were at least two floaters and a reaper in there so that's a nice chunk of their forces gone if they're all dead. Like I had Tim say earlier, if we use relative numbers to the previous terror mission we're looking at 10+ floaters and 3 or 4 reapers. We have 3 accounted for already and I think that's more than enough... As for floaters we've seen only four so far, two are definitely dead. Two in 'The Warehouse of Boom' :thinking: It would be interesting if the reaper was still alive but it would most certainly now be at least slightly aflame and we know how effective incendiaries are against the hairy blighters so maybe Howitz could realise this as he watches its death throes or even finish it off with an incendiary grenade... That it if he's still alive anyway :eh:

Good stuff guys! How damn fast was Ki-tat running... I left him in a shop on the other side of the bay :thinking: I'll make a quick edit when I leave my next post which will probably be about now! Just so long as I can think of what to write...

Done it :eh: Soz Howitz but maybe whatever's screwing with the radios is just messing with your tablet too, it's down to you BB!

As far as the old beastie in the blown up warehouse goes I thought it would be a good opportunity to get Jenning in on the action as that flamethrower hasn't even been warmed up yet! We all know how flammable rapers are so that's an easy job for him, then he could clear the rest of the hangar easily enough and maybe move on next door as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That'll teach me to post without reading the discussion first. Now Jennings has destroyed the flamethrower and took only one Reaper with it, and it was already wounded! You know what they say about squaddies and their kit...

Tammy can report now, though, that Reapers don't like fire, as well as redundant brain systems.

Oh, and while Ghost technically belongs to Fatigue, I adopted him. So I guess he sorta belongs to me.

Dude that's an awesome post! It's good to have you back and writing again. We need a few good contributors and you've made good on that! I'll give it a while and see if BB wants to post first but if not I'll post in a day or so. What with the footy I've been soooo busy it aint even funny!!! Still, we lost so we're out and I need to find another way to make money for th next few weeks so here we go ;)

And now I don't know who's dead. An earlier post here says it's Ghost, but the fic says Dodge. Presuming Ghost is alive (which I hope because he's fun to write and technically still Fatigue's character) where is he and who is he with? It seems to me that the only person he could be with was Ki-Tat...

Please, people. We had just built up some real momentum and now we've stagnated. If someone doesn't post, I will have to write again.

You all know what happens when I write. I am savage. Deet took a full magazine of ammunition, Brute had his throat cut, and Phil was shot in the back of the head. Moreover, the dead are the lucky ones. Jennings was XCOM's first casualty, and has now been mangled severely. Fitz lost an ear, and suffered a lot of injuries in the form of being beaten with fists, cut by glass, blasted with alien grenades and bruised by a two-storey drop into a Skyranger ramp.

When I post, characters suffer.

Please, think of the characters.

Yeah but Snikers when you post, I look forward to reading it! I had a read through of squad 3s appaulingly bad terror mission a few weeks ago and I was absolutely engrossed from start to finish. The Brute saga was worthy of cinema, I could just see Bruce Willis kicking his backside all over that warehouse!

Unfortunately with Squad 1 we're dealing with super pro's so there's a limit to the death and destruction that can be laid own there but I will personally hand over temporary control of Rick to you if you want to hurt him in any way. I love your writing and respect your skill. He can't die, but if he has to take a bullet or two in the name of duty then dammit that's what Squad leaders do eh Fitz!

Seriously dude, go for it!!!!

Don't worry, Vet, I was just joking. Well...exhibiting fact in a joking manner, anyway.

I really just want to see some writing, as I figured people wouldn't be impressed if I started taking over half the 'fic...seems like everyone's muse is a little slow lately, though.

Expect some stuff tomorrow, or the day after. **snaps on bloodproof rubber gloves**

Snikers go and download the fanfic from the files section here. I included a word and post count with a total percentage of each for everyone who's contributed so far...

Needless to say your 11% isn't quite in spitting distance of me yet so you won't be taking over the fic anytime soon ;) I go by Bomb Bloke's two post rule now so that I can try and give other people a chance but I get so frustrated when people don't post ;)

In all fairness Snikers you are actually the no.2 all time poster, instalments and words... Congratulations! But you still aren't quite at half my percentage so come on and join me at the top dude :)