Let's Play UFO:Extraterrestrials Gold

Zombie

What happens when you put a mixer to work in a battlecruiser? Aliens salad! 👽

That's got to be one of the most diverse crews ever to board a UFO. They're desperate and trying to think of something out of the box at this point - I mean, what couldn't a Preacher Commander do with some Hallucinoid help, right? *wink, wink* 😜

But those commander resists, again, seeemingly foreshadow what we may face ahead.

Meanwhile, maintain orderly formation - the alien sheep mass for the culling!

Before I started messing around with the upcoming swarm, I decided to check on all my JAGs. Turns out one JAG from Pulsar was destroyed somewhere along the line. I tried transferring one of my JAGs from my main base over there and then built a brand new JAG. That didn't quite work out for two reasons:

1. The transferred JAG would take too long to arrive in Pulsar (the swarm event was imminent) and
  2. The new JAG could be built at my main base but it takes time for the different weapons systems and shields to make it good to go so that wouldn't be usable either.

The best course of action was to keep everything where it was and use what I had.

The swarm shows up and I reload a few times to get a favorable spawn location. It wasn't perfect but I made it work. One thing I learned is that once you start attacking the swarm leader all the other UFO's in the swarm will come to it's aid, even if they themselves are currently under attack. So while the UFO's were heading to the swarm leader my other ships could target the UFOs with impunity. My 3 JAGs from my main base were able to take out a red battleship on its own with 0 damage taken themselves. Unfortunately, another JAG from Pulsar was destroyed in the swarm leader encounter. Small price to pay for downing the baddie over land though:

20220905165756_1.jpg

Too bad money is meaningless at this point of the game. I'd happily trade it for a chance at some more rares. Anyhow, with the leader out of the way it was open hunting season for the rest of the UFO's. Pretty easy to mop up the stragglers as they were on different parts of the globe. The aftermath:

20220905170153_1.jpg

The swarm leader is the white dot in the middle of the 3 on the landmass where the JAGs are heading away from. Might as well go after that first so I sent my team in. First map we zone into was a hellhole of Inquisitors and a Phantom camped out along my transport. I took a peek to show you guys just how bad it really was:

20220905171042_1.jpg

Uh, uh, I'm not dealing with this mess. :no2: Funny thing was I stuck around a little and tried to dig myself out of this mess and actually managed to get the LZ clear (needed to utilize some of my other troopers like Owl and Melia to toss grenades on the stragglers). Too bad I forgot to drop a save. The next map was not Phantoms and Inquisitors but Chasers and Hallucinoids - so much for xp. But then again, I figured a map with pushovers wouldn't take too long to clear out.

Well, there were a crap ton of aliens this time again. I couldn't even get an accurate count as it looked like they spawned on top of one another. It was that crowded. Luckily they came trickling over to the transport in one's or two's so we could blast them at our leisure. And more importantly, our transport spawned directly in the corner of the map which meant the LZ stayed clear. After a long, long time of waiting out the last Hallucinoid we started to head to the UFO to clear that out. Took a pic of the battlescape around the transport with all the carnage:

20220905182101_1.jpg

There's 13 aliens in this screenshot and there's some more to the left which I couldn't catch. I found a good use for the personal teleporter: if you run out to greet an alien and shoot it dead but don't have enough TU to withdraw you can toss the personal teleporter and make a hasty retreat. Gotta save some TU for the throw but it can get you out of harm's way quick. You can also use it to get yourself healed by another soldier or to reequip more grenades from the mules. Quite handy even if it's situational. :yes:

The inside of the UFO was pretty easy to clear out. EOM:

20220905184023_1.jpg

Thirty aliens, yup, that's a lot of killing! (20 were chasers and 10 hallucinoids). My two soldier killing team finished with a measly 100 xp each for a final xp of 4000. Oh well, at least there's plenty of UFO's still on the map yet - bound to be decent xp in at least one of them.

Now, before I finished the mission I dropped a save as a reload point and looked at what rare items I needed yet: 2 Auto Docs and 1 Personal Eternal Shield and I figured the last could be a distortion field generator. After a number of reloads the best I could come up with was this:

20220905184213_1.jpg

Probably good enough, the 2nd personal teleporter can be for my other frontline trooper. And if they get injured or their shielding runs low I can teleport them back to the rest of the team to heal and replenish or even take a break.

After this it'll be on to another crash site. Gotta get Lashunda and Ishantil promoted yet. :)

- Zombie

What a reception at that swarm leader's LZ, Zombie. Barbeque time! 😈

Such a contrast between going in hot and then to land a sweet corner spot with cool customers coming in, ducks in a row, at their leisure...

Too bad about the JAG losses, but you're well covered and the money is raining in.

L & I, make 'em fry - let's go crash us some more parties!!

Just a quick update today. First things first, I transferred my non-gold JAG at my main base to Pulsar. Then I started building another JAG. By the time that was finishing up, my team arrived back at base. I loaded the armaments and shielding on the new JAG and sent that over to Pulsar as well. Then I started on another JAG for my main base.

The transport still had about 60% of it's fuel left so I decided to take it to that crashed battleship close by. After giving my guys their new equipment from the swarm rewards they went out to see that bapttleship. Preachers and Observers were the name of the game. I even had a Preacher Commander, which folded like a deck of cards after the mark III chem grenade treatment. After cleaning up the outside, we went inside. The bridge went easy because all the preachers were looking away from the lift. The last preacher roaming the halls on the second floor was blasted by Ishantil. EOM:

20220906204348_1.jpg

Ending xp was 4350 which was a good jump. When we arrived back to base the other JAG finished construction so I loaded on it's armament and shields and we should be back to normal again. Who knows what's going to happen yet but we're going to be ready for it.

The fuel in the first transport was nearing 40% so I loaded everyone on the second transport and sent that to the crashed battleship next to the swarm leader. Destroyers and Chasers were the crew so I decided to play this one out. The destroyers were all going down with one hit from the particle rifle so that was good. There looked to be one one alien camped out near the entrance to the UFO. Out transport was on that side clear across the map. To expedite the scouting process a bit I utilized the personal transporter. Ishantil tossed his teleporter to where I thought the alien was but it looked to be hung up in some cactus. After going around it we found it was a destroyer. After killing that we huffed it over to the door of the UFO and entered. We used the personal teleporters to surprise the aliens who were camped out in the fog of war/shadows and after a snap shot the alien was dead so we retreated with the teleporter again. Still had a few TU's left after that too. The second floor of the UFO was pretty easy as it was all chasers. EOM:

20220906225440_1.jpg

There were 12 chasers (obviously) and 7 destroyers so xp was a little bit slim. Ending xp was 4360 so yeah, we still need 800 xp to get promoted. Maybe we'll see some higher xp aliens in the battlecruisers. Wish me luck. ;)

- Zombie

giphy.gif

This is how I envision your newfound tactical ghosting technique on the field, Zombie. Cinematic Nightcrawler stuff right there.

If they were having trouble before, you perfecting the use of the personal teleporter out there is going to feel like nightmare mode for the aliens - not only they can't know where the next shot is coming from they won't know how to hit back either. :assassin:

Fingers crossed for some juicy alien harvesting to come your way!

Unfortunately, I could only get to one of the battlecruisers as the others were slated to disappear. Let's make this count then. We zone in and kill some aliens (preachers and telemats) until most of the scouts are dead and just before we head off to tackle the inside of the ship we saw this on the second level:

20220907223419_1.jpg

Never seen aliens line up in rows like that before. New tactic? Whatever it is, it doesn't work against me. This is the result of one mark III chem grenade:

20220907224528_1.jpg

A three-fer. Gotta love it when the aliens bunch up like that. After taking out the last preacher by the gas cloud the last 3 came storming into the center for some sweet revenge. Or something. EOM:

20220907230354_1.jpg

Xp was 4530 so that was a good one. My personal particle shields and particle rifle ammo was getting a little low so I put my engineers to work for probably the last time. Eventually some battleships and battlecruisers popped in for a visit. I shot down a battleship over Patria and a battlecruiser near my base so let's sneak over to the close UFO while the two black battleships fly around aimlessly.

20220907230837_1.jpg

This time it was phantoms and inquisitors. :dancing-banana-homer-simpson:I'll tell you one thing, a bunch of inquisitors is one of the toughest groups to deal with as they can blanket large areas with their incendiary shots. Ishantil was injured in one such encounter but luckily he was able to be patched up with no problems after. EOM:

20220909204249_1.jpg

Ending xp was 4850. Progress! When we arrived back at base, it was a quick swap to the other transport and I immediately sent everyone out to that battleship. A slight mixed crew containing Hallucinoids, Terror Floaters, Chasers, Destroyers and a lone Vipon at the very end. EOM:

20220909215403_1.jpg

Ending xp was 5100+ so one more mission should lock in that promotion. I'm probably going to take care of both battleships though, just in case one of them provides a rare item or something. Those personal teleporters are actually quite handy for missions in general because you can use them to advance scout ahead to get visual on an alien, back off and shoot with your other guy. Or just use them to cover lots of ground in one turn (like making the long trek to the main door of the UFO before the aliens have a chance to regroup. I'm glad I have a couple of them for the final missions. :)

- Zombie

18 hours ago, Zombie said:

Ending xp was 5100+ so one more mission should lock in that promotion. I'm probably going to take care of both battleships though, just in case one of them provides a rare item or something.

The first black colored battleship was phantoms and inquisitors again. Outside, the killing was rather uneventful. I thought all the scouting aliens had been dealt with, but no. We go in and open the door to the lifts and there are 2 phantoms inside. Ishantil took a snap shot at one but it only did minor damage to the alien which then shot back, missed, but hit Lash instead. She was patched up but her throwing and shooting were lower for the rest of the mission.

As usual when the lower part was cleaned up we rush in and plug the lifts which is normal protocol.There seemed to be some glitchy-ness going on during the aliens turn so imagine my surprise when I see a red blip on the level we are at. This is what we found out:

20220910220351_1.jpg

Somehow an inquisitor was able to push it's way through and make it down by us. Not sure how that was possible, but it was a sitting duck. Ish took it out, Lash took out two phantoms grouped together on the bridge with a mark III chem grenade and Ish took out the last alien and the mission was over. EOM:

20220910220848_1.jpg

Finally! Let's allocate those points. I'll preface this by saying I looked at all my soldiers stats before this and pretty much decided who was going to go on the final missions. Ish and Lash were definite contenders vying for spots against Birdie and Galfar. It seemed to me that I didn't have anyone with a really high throwing accuracy. And the one issue I noticed with the personal transporter was that a mis-throw into an object would eat up the time units but the soldier wouldn't get transported. That isn't good if you are trying to get away from something fast or trying to get close to kill an alien. The fix for that is a high throwing accuracy, so that's what my intention was: ignore everything except agility, vitality and throwing with an emphasis on maxing out vitality first of course. Here's what I came up with:

20220910220950_1.jpg20220910220955_1.jpg

I couldn't completely ignore agility as you may need some points to walk into cover after a retreat with a personal teleporter throw, So these two are going to be my dedicated teleporter squad: teleport in, shoot (or throw a grenade), then retreat. Their shooting accuracy is on the lower side but it should be sufficient because they will be closer. If you are going to build a soldier for this role, I'll suggest ignoring reactions completely so that you have more points to dump into throwing.

Anyhow, ending xp for these two was about 5400, not that it matters now. Back in the geoscape and there's the last black battleship we shot down near my main base so let's get rid of that for old time's sake.

20220910221444_1.jpg

Lash was insta-healed back at base so no foul. The aliens on this map were hallucinoids and chasers and it was on a golf course. There's some small buildings that are usually present so Ish used them to get a little closer to the action. A chaser tried sneaking around the buildings to get visual on Lash who was in the transport, but Ish teleported himself over to take care of this threat:

20220910222649_1.jpg

Too easy. EOM:

20220910224018_1.jpg

With that taken care of it should be time to head out for the final missions. Might have to do a little producing yet, but that shouldn't take too long. :)

- Zombie

An Inquisitor got introspective but his deep corner meditation could not bend the spoon. By thy hand set free it was with a merciful execution. 🤺

Who could have foretold that Captains to be were Ish and Lash in such a fashion?

Teleporters - trust them no farther than you can throw them. Got it.

All systems go, Commander. Everything is par for the course now!

7 hours ago, Thorondor said:

Teleporters - trust them no farther than you can throw them. Got it.

You can trust them as far as you can throw them accurately. Oh, and user error is an issue too, but we will not talk about that one. ;)

Well, as I was manufacturing some grenades and ammo it was the end of the month. Let's take a look at that:

20220911185743_1.jpg

About time everyone is happy again. I could have really bumped the current balance up even higher if I exploited the bug I found with selling the normal tank. Again, we'll gloss over that and continue on. Time to go!

20220912215056_1.jpg

Or not. We gotta load up my team and equip them with some goodies. Here's a typical loadout I decided on:

20220912215205_1.jpg

Lash and Ish don't carry a lot of ammo because they need the space for the distortion field generator and the personal transporter. Nobody is carrying an advanced medikit except for OVNI and Mephistoex (tossed these in last minute just in case something happens). Four mark III chem grenades were a no-brainer and 4 antimatter grenades are backup, one inferno grenade for chem resistant aliens and one proximity stasis grenade to booby trap rooms or corridors. I'm going to try and save the proximity grenades till the final mission. With that done, it's time to go to earth (btw, you must load your final squad of soldiers on the Devil 1 transport - other transports will not work):

20220912215230_1.jpg

Our base is in the middle of nowhere Mexico. I don't recall there being any extinct volcanoes there. The first mission appears to be in Idaho in the United States (or maybe western Wyoming) dunno why you would want to build a base their either. So we head out to there and zone in. I didn't want to stay in the anteroom as that didn't have any doors so we moved to the next room and occupied that instead as it looked to be a good spot for long range sniping shots. The first activity was a inquisitor being killed by Mephistoex with reaction fire:

20220912215657_1.jpg

We explored the next room a little and indeed, it was a good spot to camp out as it was a long room with a choke point (some kind of machinery maybe) and at the far end a door leading to the the rest of the base. And other than a few chem grenade kills with Ishantil, Duane did all the killing via long-range sniping shots (phantoms were the other alien type present). Here's what the end of the room looked like at the end of the mission:

20220912222658_1.jpg

The final mission tally for expenditures was one clip of particle rifle ammo and two mark III chem grenades. I can live with that. Nobody got injured either. Really I could have used the tanks for killing as their ammo is magically replenished after each mission. EOM:

20220912222757_1.jpg

This seemed to be the easiest mission I ran with preachers and inquisitors. It was pretty straightforward honestly. Looks like we got an SRO-2 Device so we have to research that first. A word to the wise: you only have 10 scientists to use so they take forever to get anything done. Luckily there aren't any UFOs flying around to constantly slow things down. Eventually the research was complete:

20220912223130_1.jpg

Durham, eh? Let's check this out. Here's where the game shows it's at on earth:

20220912223241_1.jpg

That's in Michigan. Google maps says there isn't a Durham Michigan though. The green dot is not in the Lansing area as that's in the middle of the state. Me thinks it's closer to Grand Rapids. Meh, whatever. We'll be going there next wherever that may be. :pardon:

- Zombie

giphy.gif

EOM report for January, courtesy of Mr. Burns. :biggrin:

Shipping out at long last; I can scarcely believe it. And so the fun finally begins on Earth!

Not much in the way of sightseeing for starters but at least there was some progress regarding our main mission. An auspicious start to 2110 all told, even if our cartography seems to be a little off. :sarcastic:

It turns out that this Durham mission was on an outdoor landscape, so for that reason I left the two tanks back at home base. No sense in them clogging up the exit to the devil transport. Not only that, but there were very few aliens total (it was phantoms and inquisitors again). After we cleared the LZ it went quiet for a round or two, then we heard the sound of an inquisitor moving about. Owl finished it off and I was shocked how bare the battlescape was:

20220913205407_1.jpg

Granted, there were two aliens in the air somewhere, but only 5 aliens alive on turn 6? It seems like fewer aliens than on a scout UFO. The last few phantoms and inquisitors came trickling into the LZ in an orderly fashion. Ishantil found a nice protected location to spot or shoot them as they came in. He found the last inquisitor nearby in the air so it was an easy kill:

20220913210745_1.jpg

Lash and Owl did most of the killing though as they had a prime location at the back of the transport where they could kneel down and snipe (mostly autoshots as I didn't want to draw reaction fire. EOM:

20220913211120_1.jpg

Yeah, 10 aliens total. That isn't even enough to play football (aka soccer). Well, we could both agree to go ahead each with one player short I suppose. Oh, and we got starport plans which we can research. That was taking forever to finish and when we hit 40% this is what happened:

20220913211413_1.jpg

Crap, I forgot to drop a save in the Geoscape when I got back from the last mission so I guess we'll have to play this one as-is. It looked like there were a couple aliens in the next room so Owl went to investigate with a mark III chem grenade at the ready:

20220913211645_1.jpg

Ok, I can't pass up a sweet target like that with a chem grenade, so they both got it and were killed. Nice! For the rest of the mission I put 4 soldiers in that room to act as advance scouts at the doors and Ishantil was stationed at the south east end of the corridor as there was a long hallway where aliens could sneak up. They never did though, and Ishantil was the man doing most of the killing as he was in a prime location:

20220913213729_1.jpg

The last alien was an inquisitor (again). EOM:

20220913213832_1.jpg

Nothing really gained from all this killing except for the now meaningless xp and cash. I guess it was just a mission for you to waste resources on. When we finally got back to a Geoscape screen it was full speed ahead on research:

20220913214056_1.jpg

I know where that is obviously, so let's check the map to see if it's close:

20220913214206_1.jpg

At first glance it seems correct, but let's zoom in a little bit:

20220913224756_1.jpg

Nope, not even close. Cape Canaveral is almost on the Atlantic ocean. This is like Orlando Florida area being that far inland. Can't win them all I guess. ;)

- Zombie

They were trying to catch you off-guard with that assault on The Centaurus, the rascals!

Can't say they've managed to make much of an impression, though, with this lukewarm reception. A precedent has been set nonetheless, so do stay on your toes, Zombie.

As for the location of the Starport, I suppose we should count ourselves happy they didn't place it in the Florida Keys. Or maybe not; thinking of it I wouldn't mind a little more eye candy in the scenic department. :yes:

Ok, this is going to be a little long so I'll post the Starport mission I just finished this morning (no peeking, I only zoned into the final mission then saved and exited the game). We zone in the corner of the map and there really wasn't much going on except for a couple terror floaters and later, an inquisitor:

20220915091709_1.jpg

After these first few aliens it really went quiet. Time to carefully explore a little bit to see if there is a better spot to camp out for a while. A couple rooms to the left there was a door and a sorta-chokepoint so Owl tossed down a stasis proximity grenade while everyone moved up. It went off, but I didn't know if it killed anything. We found out a bunch of turns later:

20220915094510_1.jpg

Yup, an unlucky Phantom set it off and was killed. Nice! Here again, not much going on as most of the aliens were south and east of our position. Owl did some exploring in the next room/area in the off-time. The issue in this room was that there was only one way out and it looked like there were some aliens camped out and ready for me. My guys who were chilling out in the 3rd room decided to try to open a hole in the wall there to perform a pincer attack, but no dice it must be a security wall. So Owl tried the wall where he was and was able to open up a hole there:

20220915095127_1.jpg

Wait, a mini Statue of Liberty head? This means war! Owl charges into the opening and sees a Phantom Commander poking around but Owl was kinda cornered in the cubby so he tossed a chem grenade on it and... dead. Unconventional, but it worked. Owl stuck around in that spot as it seemed like a good area to surprise alien stragglers. A couple rounds later and it looked like there were a couple aliens to the left, so he took a peek and the one he could see was another commander:

20220915100446_1.jpg

Owl tossed an antimatter grenade on it, killing it and injuring whoever was behind it. The next round that other alien shows up and it's another commander. An auto shot of particle rifle finished it off. A few rounds later another commander shows up and was killed with an auto shot by Owl and the next round after that another commander met it's match (that's 5 commanders). By this time the alien numbers had started to dwindle, and because that antimatter grenade opened up a gaping hole in the wall Owl did a little exploring before tossing a stasis proximity grenade into a corridor which looked like it might be busy. The result?

20220915102223_1.jpg

From the scanner it appears to be one big blip, but it was actually a phantom and a terror floater standing next to each other. Lash killed the terror floater (she's in the pic by the wall) and then Owl finished off the phantom. The last phantom (normal garden variety, not a commander) eventually show up and is killed (again by Owl, he was a beast).

So now we are all standing around wondering what is going on because the mission didn't end. Was there a hidden alien somewhere? Was the game glitched out? Is there something I need to do yet? I send Melia out as an advance scout into the large chunk of the map that's still unexplored. Eventually he finds out the corridors lead to one room with a door. He holds his ground while everyone else makes their way over just in case he needs help. Turns out there is an alien shuttle UFO parked inside some security walls. Everyone piles into the middle:

20220915104214_1.jpg

Ah ha, that's what you need to do. From looking at the map, it may have been possible to cut through the wall in the anteroom in the corner to the room to the right, then kill the few aliens there and make a mad dash to the UFO, but I did not know this at the time so I took the long way around. Worked out in the end though. There wasn't an EOM report screen as you go directly to a cut scene after clicking the button:

20220915104450_1.jpg

This appears to be it folks. I'll work on the mission and get back to you soon. :)

- Zombie

That's an awful lot of Commanders to run into in a single spot, Zombie. :huh:

Those buggers were up to something if you ask me. They probably went rogue and, seeing their side's defeat was imminent, were about to split with a haul of precious Earthling artifacts for the gang to smuggle; their inept leadership be damned. 👾

Too late, though - freedom fighters have arrived. Revenge is at hand!

21 hours ago, Zombie said:

Ah ha, that's what you need to do. From looking at the map, it may have been possible to cut through the wall in the anteroom in the corner to the room to the right, then kill the few aliens there and make a mad dash to the UFO, but I did not know this at the time so I took the long way around. Worked out in the end though. There wasn't an EOM report screen as you go directly to a cut scene after clicking the button:

I went back and checked this out and indeed there was a few wall tiles in the anteroom where you could have shot a hole and take a shortcut. Possible strategy if this happens for you.

Anyhow, the team zones in and I take a look around in the anteroom and see 4 doors leading to the rest of the map. No good for a killing zone so we moved to the room directly south as it only had 2 doors. Not ideal, but better at least. That's the reason why I have 2 teams. A round later and a phantom came snooping and was met with reaction fire from Ishantil (remember this name, we'll be seeing lots more of him). And then a Terror Floater tried to block us in:

20220915105215_1.jpg

It was quickly killed as it didn't have any TU left to fire it's weapon. Too bad. We sit tight and wait in ambush. There was a blip that moved to the south west of us and then stayed put. Guessing it was a commander I send Ish and Kathlene to investigate via the anteroom. Commander it is:

20220915210547_1.jpg

Ish took it out with an auto shot so no big deal. After that Ish and Kath rejoin the rest of the team but a few rounds later a terror floater was moving around where that commander was previously. Ish and Kath huffed it back over there. Ish tossed an inferno grenade on it which did decent damage but Kath finished it off with a chem grenade (the aftermath):

20220915211437_1.jpg

This time I kept these two where they were just in case other aliens try to surround us (that blip to the west was a little worrisome). It wasn't moving though which probably means another commander. That means we make the first move so Ish gets into position with his personal teleporter while Kath walks over there. A commander it was:

20220915211745_1.jpg

Luckily an auto shot was all it took This time Ish and Kath rejoined the team again since the alien numbers were dwindling. There seemed to be a lot of activity to the south west of us down the hallway. Ish teleported down there and killed a commander and a few turns later it was the same thing:

20220915213100_1.jpg

So he auto shots it dead, then teleports back to the team safe and sound. At this point there are 3 blips on the map yet. They were moving around a lot but never really came close till about 40 rounds later (I'm a very patient guy). It was south east of us in a room:

20220915214207_1.jpg

Dumb inquisitor, Ish finished it off as usual. Now there were two blips left. They were moving independent of each other for a couple rounds then in tandem. I thought they might be heading my way so I triple-proxy mined the hallway and waited:

20220915214620_1.jpg

The game got a little confused on what was happening, so I'll recap: The inquisitor set off the first proxy mine, then moved a little closer and set the second proxy mine off killing itself. (Upon reflection, it's quite possible there were two inquisitors who were moving in tandem which set off the mines, but I was counting blips every round and there were only two left). Anyhow, you can see the third proxy mine which was ready to take out the last alien, but that one moved through the room with the pipes the inquisitor was in earlier and ended up just north of us. Ish teleported over there:

20220915214830_1.jpg

Seems only fitting Ish got the last kill as he was nearly a one-man killing squad. At this point there isn't anything on the map so I figured it was time to do a little exploring. From watching the blips I assumed that I needed to head south east as that's where most of the aliens were moving around. I guessed correct. There were some cartoon-ish alien figures on some of the walls so I knew I must be close. A couple rounds later we see a doorway with black behind it. So we barge in there and see this:

20220915220130_1.jpg

The eye was blinking at us, but I wasn't sure if this was the brain I needed to kill. There was no indication whatsoever. and it didn't even come up yellow when you targeted it with a particle rifle. Might as well start firing at it, and throwing antimatter grenades, and inferno grenades, and chem grenades. The whole 9 yards, it got the full treatment. Next round more of the same, but at least some of the structures surrounding the brain blew up. Eventually it went down. I was able to capture a screenshot of the cut scene before the game kicked me out to the "geoscape":

20220915220846_1.jpg

Looks like a successful mission, right? Final screen:

20220915220857_1.jpg

So there you go, my Let's Play of UFO:Extraterrestrials Gold. Hope you all enjoyed it, I sure did. Took a lot longer than I initially thought (just over a year) but I learned quite a bit of strategy these last few months which was very helpful. If you have any questions please ask. Comments are of course welcome too. I'll be taking a short break to recover, and next up will probably be a  brand new UFO2:Extraterrestrials Let's Play, so stay tuned for that. :)

- Zombie

giphy.gif

Eyed by the pitiful alien Overmind you deliver the killing blows. You are victorious! 🎇

Unquestionably, Zombie. Definitively.

Yet, it can't be denied how anticlimactic it is as a final mission. Potentially because of all the preparations that came before, but not only.

Efforts came well prior, the ramp up, working not to be overrun by the swarms. The latter part on Earth, all the way to the end, was scarcely making anyone break a sweat. Final mission? Cakewalk territory.

You gave the aliens a masterclass on methodical annihilation.

I guess we'll see if they were paying any attention when we confront them again in UFO2: Extraterrestrials!