XCAS R&D and Engineering Roleplay here

Mouse Nightshirt

>>

Unaware of Kacur's somewhat undisciplined eye >>, Rallwell swung around in her chair to face him. He was blushing for some reason... Rallwell inwardly shrugged and gave Martin as friendly a smile as she could muster. His reaction to women was funny in a way - she wondered what was behind the reaction. But it would not have been a question to ask a superior officer... Maybe she could put Howardson up to it.

She decided to continue with her commentary. "The problem with the lasers, as I mentioned before, is quick dissipation and fast energy consumption. Right now, we're limited to short range bursts. Our prototype laser emitter puts out enough energy to significantly harm an organic object at a range of 20 m, but past that the energy ebbs. Here's the problem. As we focus the beam to obtain range, we expend more energy discharging the blast and increase the wear on the equipment. As we... well... unfocus the beam, energy consumption becomes far more efficient and the mechanical stress on the emitters is much less. This is all to obtain the same level of delivery at 20 m. So... the question is, what sort of application are we using this in?" Rallwell looked at Kacur as he started to respond.

<<Would make sense since I don't go out at all lately and just contemplate stuff, but still heh... :blush:

Actually it depends about the vision thing. She could be wearing a simpler outfit not combat fatigues heh heh. After all this is a laboratory and I seriously doubt someone would wear combat suits the whole day long ;) >>

Martin after a short blush managed to regain himself and continue in a relatively stable tone: "Well the first of these won't be too special. A simple pistol design actually, quite similar to those used in AW-I. I expect the strains on the machinery won't be that powerful at such a short range. 20 metres or so should work okay for a Laser Pistol, since it will be primarily as a last resort weapon and for indoor combat. Also since the machinery won't be strained the auto-fire option won't be that hard to implement on it either. Considering everything I'd say designing a pistol version will be quite simple. It's the rifle design though that I expect is going to give us headaches..."

Rallwell responded rather approvingly and didn't give much thought to her previous train of thoughts about Kacur: "Yes I certainly think so. In any event we'll see about that later. Right now we should concentrate on this one step at a time. The Laser Pistol is the first step and it's looking rather promising. We'll just design them and see how it goes from there on."

Martin nodded and with that Anne got up from the chair and the Lieutenant took his old spot behind the computer console, now taking a check at the plans. His mind wandered slightly as he went over them, but still he could work on the project....somewhat dilligently.

<<Okay, end this tech since it's rather old. Hopefully we'll be focusing on newer threads ;)>>

• 4 weeks later...

Rallwell gaped in horror as the team's elected representative, Sergeant Kevin Ong, sheepishly told her of the destruction of the prototype HWP. She sat heavily in her chair, dazed. That HWP represented a ridiculous number of hours worth of work!

Calming herself down, she forced herself to breathe. Dammit, she thought. The plans were all available of course. Materials could be bought or manufactured... Just the time. Time was always an issue, for all departments. There were never really enough people to do everything that needed to be done... Everything was supposed to be done yesterday.

Waving Ong out of her office, she wrote a quick note on her pad to bring up the issue at the next meeting, but she didn't think it likely that they were going to pursue the HWP project any further.

• 2 weeks later...