Stun grapples

Space Voyager

Ok, I tried a tactic with dual weapons extensively now. I find it VERY good (but unnecessary after you develop toxiguns and particularely after having B clip), especially when using dual stun grapples and waiting for the aliens to come out through a door. One soldier on each side, both having dual stun grapples; aliens usually don't know what hit them... Than I throw all the grenades and shields far away, so that when the alien wakes up and is facing my dual cannon owner, he doesn't stand a chance. Nasty? I hope so...

Anyway, this tactics once left half my team dead and me loading the freaking game (which I tried HARD not to do at all) becouse I tried doing it while both men and skeletoids were up in the air... Basically my men flew towards the skeletoids while being shot upon, got in range and started shooting like mad with those stun grapples. Great so far. With one little detail spoiling it all.

The skeletoids seemed immune! Nothing happened to them, so my men were shot like birdies hanging in the sky!

I don't know whether this is a known bug or not a bug at all, but I found no entry about the grapple baing ineffective while in the air in the weapons descriptions... Perhaps I'll experiment some more, but I really hate to see my men slaughtered, so I'm not sure about that.

Any thoughts?

From all the games I've played, the stun grapples never ever worked through a disrupter shield, in the air or on the ground. I still kept a pair around, as they are truly devestating on unshielded aliens (frankly, there are just as many shielded aliens as there are unshielded aliens (multiworms, megaspawn, poppers, etc) on some maps) when combined with a wounding weapon.

By the way, instead of waiting for the alien to wake up, you can also be a little unsporting and shoot them while they're lying down. Yeah, I know, it's cruel. But the aliens are also cruel. Fair's fair. :blink:

Also take note: Aliens with over 80 health won't fall from the stun grapple until their health is reduced to 80 or under. Not sure why, but the grapples refuse to do more than double their listed damage at any given time rather than accumulate. Only stun grenade impact damage can make it go higher - and that's only if you time each bomb right.

- NKF

There's just one problem. Stun grapples don't work through shields.

- NKF

:blink: I'm not sure about this one... I'm pretty positive I stunned shielded aliens as well. I'll try once more.

Oh, good of you to tell me you can't possibly stun anybody with health over 80 - I might have a hard time very soon...

And shooting aliens while stunned is my favourite... :)

• 1 month later...

i tend to not let the lil bastard get up after he's been stunned....i plow his ass down with the stun grenade first then i have the guy with the grapple stand over him and constantly shoot at the body with it to make sure he won't get up from the stun while i'm still there....it's a good way to get around shields....but thats just me.

it's the easiest way to safely catch a live micronoid without him interfering psionically... :mad:

Just remember to pick up the shield and put it back down again (of course, I'm sure you'd rather hang on to it - but just in case such an event does happen...). See, the shield will still be counted as being on the alien until you've moved it. So if you didn't do that, the unconcious alien will still count as being shielded, thus rendering the stun grapples useless.

Me, if I really wanted the alien, I'd do what Bomb Bloke mentioned. Stand on it.

- NKF

how do you actually make a soldier stand on an alien though? if he sees another concious alien, they automatically start moving around and shooting at it. Im guessing that how badly the unconcious alien is stunned goes down while you are standing on it, so if you have been standing on it for a long time and you move off for even half a second, wont it just wake up?

Oh, anyone can stand on an alien body, be it dead or unconcious. How bad it goes down doesn't really matter.

To keep your soldier from running away, use the aggressive stance. That way the soldier will stay on top of it regardless of the opposition. Only flames, mind control or if another soldier pushes into the soldier (assuming the area is packed with soldiers) will cause the soldier to move. (very important if you've been sitting on a popper!)

As for the state of the alien - yes, the alien will eventually wake up. However, standing on top of an alien seems to keep them in a stunned state. The time it takes for the alien to wake up again after you've stopped standing on it isn't really instantaneous. Just to be sure the stun levels are at a good level, you can always force-fire a stun grapple on the body.

For a large unit, you can stand on any of the quarters and it'll be fine.

In fact, it's a lot better to lie down on the corpse. Or kneel if you think you might be attacked from multiple directions.

- NKF

Makes you immune to the brain suckers. :blink:

In UFO, if you stood on a unconcious unit, when it would wake up it would get moved to a seperate square. I can only assume they didn't want to do that this time round.

"Ugh! Get you fat rear off me! Ung.... Can't get up"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i assume most of you found out those details by accedent? i did...i tried on UFO (i played apoc first) and got a nasty surprise when i turned around several turns later... :blink:

Actually not. I assumed it works that way before experiencing it becouse I healed my soldier (you had to stand over him) and he appeared next to me. So an alien waking up would do the same.

That is actually something I missed a lot in Apoc. Not the alien appearing next to me! :) Healig soldiers with other soldiers... If your man is down and dieing nobody can help him unless he accidentally wakes up AND has enough time to heal himself...

• 4 months later...
Also take note: Aliens with over 80 health won't fall from the stun grapple until their health is reduced to 80 or under. Not sure why, but the grapples refuse to do more than double their listed damage at any given time rather than accumulate. Only stun grenade impact damage can make it go higher - and that's only if you time each bomb right.

- NKF

AH!!! So THAT'S why my two dual armed stunners behind the alien queen firing ad infinitum in real time wouldn't put her down, but one or two potshots at any point quickly knocked her unconscious!

Moral: hit them with stun grapple a few times, then just hit them!