Winter is coming: Brace yourselfs

silencer_pl

Hi.

Recently I had some urge to return to Sword of the Stars 2. After another dozen of patches after the expansion pack, I am wondering what has changed in the game. Probably not much, but with my better computer specs I could try some bigger maps. So I've also decided to continue my series of SotS2 where I will try to play every race there is.

In this chapter I will be playing my favorite number 1 - The Solforce.

001.jpg

The map I've chosen will be the famouse SotsVerse. A very big and very hard map specially for SolForce since all the system locations and node links are based on the real lore of the universe.

The AI got a nice improved over the last year, so it will not receive a huge boost comparing to the last part, but still it will be on hard with starting cash 1 million credits and only 3 more techs.

So without any delay, let's jump into the game.

002.jpg

As the lore goes, Solforce starts of course in the all known Sol system and Earth as the Homeworld. The big plus of Sol system is the size. It's pretty big system with 3 additional planets, 2 Gas giants with some moons and an asteroid belt. Gas Giants and asteroid belts are good place for mining platforms that improve industrial output of the system by 500 points per mine and since our asteroid belt is of huge size I think there can be allocated 4-8 mines + few mines on the Gas Giants.

For this instance of the game all planets except Mars are in our range of our acceptable climate hazard.

003.jpg

And JupiterA and B (which are mooons) are so nice that we can grab them from turn 1, while Mercury and Venus will have to wait till later.

Next we will have to think about research. Since we are going for fast expansion, we will need something to boost the population growth.

004.jpg

35 turns is a lot so we must fiddle with our fundings.

005.jpg

First we need to rise taxes for a while from 5 to 7. This will drain the morale of the colonists so this is only temporary solution. Next we will divert more money to research and thus we will hope to get Enviromental Tailoring in 15 turns.

Next thing is never to forget create your own better designs of ships. Because on turn 1 it is free from prototyping. So let's create the very basic ships we need.

006.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

And also we need more colonization fleets.

011.jpg

With that's taken care of we can proceed with the game.

Our first colonies will be on JupiterA and B.

012.jpg

It is recommended to support the colonies after they have been established. The faster they will develop the faster you get more money. The standard colonization ships deliver some industrial stuff. Also it is better to invest into fast terraforming.

We can't forget about sending fleets to survey nearby systems. And as sometimes you can be lucky and get very good planets just in the neighborhood.

013.jpg

And sometimes you get even some friendly aliens that you can study later for unknown profits.

014.jpg

015.jpg

When our second colonization fleet is assembled, a new one is ordered. We got so many planets that must be quickly taken.

017.jpg

After some 10 turns we must return to standard taxation. The morale of our citizens is critically low.

018.jpg

And sometimes fortune smiles upon you and 2 turns before the official time we get the technology we wanted.

019.jpg

Now since we are creating fleets and we will need more later on, I will focus on improving the industrial capability.

020.jpg

And that first colony also after 13 turns is as ready as can be - the only thing to do is colonist to procreate faster.

021.jpg

Surprisingly on turn 20, we got contact with the Zuul horde, and they are not happy to see us.

022.jpg

The funny bit about Zuul in SotS2, you can find a peaceful tribe towards you even though they should always be hostile. But for now there is no worry. And they are even so bold to demand a system information. Well boo hoo I ain't giving you anything.

023.jpg

On turn 32 which is few turns more than expected, Materials Application is finished and research on orbital dry-docks has begun

024.jpg

025.jpg

Further exploration has revealed another great system that is also quite big. Our colonizing fleet has much work to do.

026.jpg

On turn 32 we meet the Morrigi race. And they also don't seem to friendly.

027.jpg

They've even snatched a good system from our noses, so I guess there will be war.

028.jpg

And hey, we found another independents. Let's hope AI will not blast them before I will be able to park my science lab there.

029.jpg

As I said before the Morrigi don't like us and start demanding things.

030.jpg

Shall we tell the dragons to fuck off, sir? Ehm, if so, would you mind doing so yourself, I... need to go to the toilet. NOW.

Cool start, fellow Human! What is our direction with the independents?

And may I propose ship names like... Werewolf, Giant, The Wall... CnC ship Rob, Tywin, Cercei (sacrifice the last two) etc?

Hehe, you can never tell. I was hoping for nice trade but anything can happen.

The independents first will be studied by our lab monkeys and later assimilated into our society, which probably end up in a zoos or something. Unless the other races will want to obliterate them to kingdom come.

About the ships - I'll think of something - maybe at the Dreadnought level. DN's are main advantage in Solforce of being the cheapest and containing quite enough firepower.

More scouting has revealed a Zuul colony near our systems. The scouting team learned the hard way that you don't trifle with the Zuul.

031.jpg

Beaten but not defeated our Scouting fleet had to retreat.

032.jpg

To add more to the shame - this was just colonization fleet. But Zuul are known to pack large amount of weapon slots. And without Point Defense systems their missiles punctured our armour.

033.jpg

So with both Zuul and Morrigi nearby there will be mobilization for an invasion.

As time progresses our lab monkeys finished dry-docks.

034.jpg

Now when we have reduced the cost of production of our ships we need to improve our production capabilities. Heavy platforms are too hard to achieve at 34 turns, so we need to find something else. Because we don't know anything about artificial intelligence, we need to see if we are capable of understanding the basics. So an feasibility test is run on the Expert Systems.

035.jpg

And since we are going on full scale war, we need a new type of ship that will reduce the enemies population without harming the planet.

036.jpg

And immediately a prototype is being ordered on Earth.

037.jpg

A few turns later the scientists give green light on Expert Systems.

038.jpg

And looks like it the Morrigi either read my mind or had their own plans of invasion.

039.jpg

Unfortunate for them my first invasion fleet is ready to be assembled and we even have a perfect Admiral for the job.

040.jpg

As soon as the invasion fleet took off, the damned slaver appeared. They've picked the outer colonies on Jupiter, but the planetary defense did it's job.

041.jpg

Quickly our fleet has arrived at the closest Morrigi colony.

042.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg1xJ8Li2hM

After the Expert Systems we need to improve our weaponry if we want to succeed in fighting with Zuul.

043.jpg

The lab monkeys warn about a possible failure, but we still have to try. (hint, hint: everything above 50% is a success).

044.jpg

And because we can't have a winning streak a meteor swarm race downs to our fresh colony.

045.jpg

The devastation wasn't that big but it stopped us from repopulating the planet for a while.

And as for Morrigi we push forward reclaiming what should be ours.

046.jpg

047.jpg

As if one disaster wasn't enough, the "long" range scanners picked some kind of swarm things flying towards Sol system.

048.jpg

There are 2 colonization fleets, so they will have to hold on until a defensive fleet will be assembled.

We also have acquired enough money to sponsor a science lab to study those first independents. It will also be dedicated to improve our research on engineering.

2 turns after the swarm sighting a defensive fleet is created.

050.jpg

Unfortunately the swarm was too large to control and the fleet was all consumed but they finished the mission.

052.jpg

So in order to study those independents we will have to divert some money from main project to a special project. The estimated time of researching Fusion Torpedoes dropped only by approximately 2 turns.

051.jpg

So after somewhere 50 turns let's check at our economy.

053.jpg

Not much to say, we are definitely making progress. Soon maybe we will be ready for some trading.

As time passes by, new techs are developed.

054.jpg

A new ship is designed. The Zuul will feel pain now.

055.jpg

Next in line will be a better traveling mechanism. Our ships will now make node jumps much faster and it will also improve our energy output. Those fusion torpedoes sure put a strain on that fusion reactor.

056.jpg

Without waiting for new ships we attack on the Zuul colony. The scouts ought to fail against any zuul fleet, but the more armoured ships shouldn't have a problem right?

057.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip51DWjcQ4E

Well that's a second blow, but we did took quite a few with us. So many missiles...

But while we were attacking, they were also scouting our lands.

058.jpg

This time we drove them off. But still that is damn so many rockets and that is only CnC ship.

059.jpg

More bad news to come, that we've met the evilest of them all... the Liir and it looks like a third war is brewing. This time on the other side of the universe.

060.jpg

And what I did wrong this time. That is 3rd bad encounter in close proximity.

061.jpg

But we have our vengeance now. The torpedoes just blast through Zuul ship like hot knife through butter.

062.jpg

And the fish want some aid. Well I ain't giving you since we are not friends.

063.jpg

Also the last battle has revealed a perk hidden in the new ship type. A pretty useless on this type.

064.jpg

On turn 80, we have better hyperspace system, but before we will mount to any ship a few more techs need to be acquired.

066.jpg

We need to get some Point Defense systems, so we need to improve our knowledge on lasers.

067.jpg

And we also had a second lab for the other independents. This will additionally help on the industrial part.

068.jpg

And as I foresaw.

069.jpg

Stupid fish thinks I am defenseless. We will dine in some space seafood today.

070.jpg

And yes that is Loa in the distance, a fourth would be enemy.

Recently we have also encountered Tarkasian fleet. And it might be that even them will join the crusade against me.

071.jpg

The planetary defense kept those pesky fish away. But next time there will be no sneak attacks.

072.jpg

Our scouting fleet has found access to Morrigi homeworlds. But with so many enemies I'll probably forget about them.

073.jpg

And at turn 90 we have x-ray lasers, which allows us the possibility of getting laser point defense.

074.jpg

075.jpg

And this will be crucial to ensure survival of our ships. Thankfully our scientists have the know-how and soon we will have it.

076.jpg

I would be saddened if I would have to go over the other way for point defense. I simply can't waste time on dead-ends.

After a while the Tarkas send a request. Well I have more enemies than I should have so go ahead rob me.

077.jpg

And speaking of daylight robbery...

078.jpg

Also if Liir do swear. What would they say in this situation? "Oh bollocks" won't simply cut in.

079.jpg

I also don't believe it.

080.jpg

We of course do accept it but I smell a trap.

Not this one, though I was expecting this to happen very soon.

081.jpg

Well it's 4 vs 1, so we need to ramp up the taxes and speed up some research.

082.jpg

At turn 95, our universe looks like this.

083.jpg

Just few turns after war declaration the Loa and Liir gather up forces to destroy my colony over Lacaille. They arrive few turns for me to be prepared for naval station in order for my colony defenders to make permanent base. I could at this time send only 1 fleet that only arrived on time when Liir attacked.

084.jpg

https://youtu.be/xDk5YNAHn6o

Also additional scouting has revealed a system protected by the Proteans. Let's hope for good planets there.

085.jpg

Turn 100 and we have PD weaponry. Good because the enemies are fielding Fusion Torpedoes themselves. Just 2 more techs and I will be able to produce upgraded versions of current designs.

086.jpg

One of those techs is of course better armour.

087.jpg

The scanning of the planets where Proteans were, indicates some large planets but the hazard will stop us from colonizing it now.

088.jpg

And our lab monkeys deliver the schematics for better armour faster then anticipated.

089.jpg

That will probably mean slacking off in the next project. But first we must reduces the taxes in order to prevent empire wide rebelion.

090.jpg

And we must study some of the projectiles technology. I can't afford to wait for some improved fusion reactors and try neutron beams.

091.jpg

With the better armour I can now develop a new type of ship and quickly put it into production.

092.jpg

094.jpg

Thank you lab monkeys now off you go.

093.jpg

It looks like that maybe we can be close friends with the Tarkas.... maybe.

095.jpg

Or maybe not.

096.jpg

097.jpg

And Liir still behave like a douche. Got their butt kicked and still they make threats.

098.jpg

I don't know if I will be doing any proper invasions soon, but preparing a design for it doesn't cost you anything. Besides Antimatter engines are long way ahead (I think).

099.jpg

The good part of all the patchings and waiting is that AI finally makes something nice for a change. My Mark I designs are getting kicked in the rear end. Good thing I've just made an upgrade. It's just now matter of money and production. Hope that defending the borders won't cost me a lot. I know I should invest in trade now, but trade itself also needs some starting investment and right now I need to focus on defense.

100.jpg

101.jpg

When this will be finished I will kick butt again.

093.jpg

Which without any problems in the mean time.

102.jpg

A fresh designs are prepared.

104.jpg

105.jpg

We also need to increase a size of our fleets. This tech will allow 2 more cruisers to our cruiser CnC type.

103.jpg

Our new designs got already into quick action and our new addition got a very bad trait. Not that it needs to be nimble, but still...

106.jpg

And yey... we now know something about them. The other problem is keeping them alive - which probably won't happen so, since I don't have the spare time to improve my terraforming efficiency and the AI is pretty aggressive in the neighborhood.

107.jpg

From this point there is not happening much. Mostly I defend the systems from Liir, Zuul, Loa and occasionally Morrigi. My rating towards Tarka is like a sinusoid. Once they like me, then they hate me.

During also that time I got a visit from this guy.

108.jpg

Got to repopulate the planet again.

In other encouter the Zuul nicely used their magic Node cannon. Good thing I too travel in the nodes.

109.jpg

On turn 131 after long overdue I finally can field 10 ships in a fleet + CnC.

110.jpg

Now I just only need the scanning devices in order to anticipate attacks long enough to prepare defense on some colonies.

111.jpg

112.jpg

Next I am thinking about going for Dreadnoughts. But maybe I will wait till I get some trade going. But first I need to improve my industrial output and I will rise some taxes.

113.jpg

With the deep scanning tech now I can have upgraded version of my CnC class ship.

114.jpg

The AI is getting persistent on attacking my colonies. And I will have to retaliate, so I need another type of ship that will insure greater survival and maybe I'll get some tech.

115.jpg

Unfortunately creating many defensive fleets and 2 assault ones has reduced all my allowance I've gathered. But currently my borders are secured enough, so once I've finish heavy platforms I'll risk for some trade techs and then Dreadnoughts following improved colonization techniques.

I've also around turn 145 finished the studies of those guys.

116.jpg

And unfortunately I think the previous ones got blaster by the crazed AI. I know I've lost a science station and the diplomacy manager shows no contact with the squids.

No worries.

So it is as I feared. The LOA bastards killed the Panzer Squids :(

117.jpg

Also if you are wondering - this is how currently situation looks like and it will probably be the same for quite a while. Like I said in other topics - this game is much slower than the prime. Though there still is tech race.

118.jpg

Like I previously said - the work on the AI was done almost very well. And sometimes this just happens.

119.jpg

With Heavy Platforms our industry should see a good chunk of boost.

120.jpg

It will be needed later and besides it leads to Dreadnoughts. However with our economy in heavy crisis I need to find additional sources of income. I know that I should have it a long time ago but the circumstances of fighting on 4 fronts didn't allow me to.

121.jpg

Also the Zuul sometimes find and idea.

122.jpg

That's a slave gatherer.

And they've even upgraded some weaponry.

123.jpg

Now after having this, we can start some trading - in theory.

124.jpg

Because it is better to automatically follow with this.

125.jpg

Also we need this "Derp" ship.

126.jpg

It's military usefulness is less than 0, but if it can scare off the pirates.... and if Pirates do show the police will not be able to stop them. A little irony here.

The development of bigger freighters arrived on time.

127.jpg

We now need to get this in order to force higher taxes without Morale penalty.

128.jpg

And we can now field those babies.

130.jpg

Twice the capacity, the same maintenance cost. Unless some civies build them, so I'll try to encourage them a bit.

131.jpg

I've also tried some luck with diplomacy and I was successful enough to get a NAP from the Tarkas.

132.jpg

I've also asked about research assistance, but no said the stubborn monkeys. And speaking of diplomacy I've spotted that Liir and Tarka have reached Antimatter which worries me a little.

During some skirmishes I've managed to salvaged some projects. It will take time to check what it is but at least I am getting something.

133.jpg

134.jpg

With the first step in the psionics tree...

135.jpg

I can now focus a little in improving our colonization tree. First with the new type of colonizers which improve CH during a mission.

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

And also I'll need the Dreadnoughts mainly for CnC ships for now in order to get bigger colonizing fleets.

139.jpg

I've also checked how AI is doing by swapping the positions during game load. All except Hivers and Morrigi are doing considerably well in comparison to what was 1 or 2 years ago. I saw in this game that Morrigi had very bad CH seed, but he is not stagnating. Hivers on the other hand though they aren't going bust like in the map I've created but they certainly are suffering from heavy stations maintenance. Guess those gates are eating them apart I think.

The turn time takes now considerable amount of time. Up to 30 seconds. This is now the hardest point of playing this game because of this. But I will carry on.

Since we have this new brand technology it's time for the ship.

140.jpg

It will help with terraforming during supply missions.

The DN hull terch came a little faster than expect which is good.

141.jpg

But still we need this in order to make CnC class DN.

142.jpg

Again during some skirmishes I've found another scrap tech to research.

143.jpg

Just for reminder. Salvage tech only bypasses the feasibility tech. Which means that you can acquire tech that you in reality could have.

And speaking of which - one of those projects has finished.

144.jpg

I've also had another encounter with this bastard. I almost got him but my weaponry was not enough. Good thing I've lost only level 1 naval base.

https://youtu.be/47G8wTYNSXw

Now when I have the Armada CnC,

145.jpg

I will go for the 2 nearest bio technology techs. This first one will improve everything. Including new worlds to capture.

146.jpg

149.jpg

And I can now prototype a new CnC class ship. This one will only be used for the colonization fleets. The next ships probably will include Antimatter engine and far better weapons.

147.jpg

148.jpg

Only 3kk for prototype now that is called cheap.

We are nearing turn 200, so let's take a look at my economics.

150.jpg

As you can see with the trade growing rapidly I've now have sort of free stations and fleet since the gain from the trade is equal as my expenses for stations and fleets. And I still have room for more freighters.

I've also managed to get another salvage project. The amount of money I put into salvage is enough no to lengthen the main projects.

151.jpg

I'm also checking my Government progress.

152.jpg

It's actually funny. At start when you are expanding, you're going for Socialism policy, but as in all normal games in this one I've never reached to be a Socialist, but was close. Then my marker went up to Junta but also didn't reach it. Then when I started to invest in trade I thought I would manage to get Mercantilism, but when It was almost there it dropped down to almost Liberty. And now I am an Anarchist... I'll never figure this part. Though each Government type has it's merits - right now the Mercantilism would be more beneficial due to increased money gain from taxes.

Alright, we got Rob! :)

That Leviathan sure took some damage... It was pounded the whole time, sparkling all over yet survived.

Thanks for taking a look at the stations, too. Love the graphics. Funny though, some of the effects look more cartooney than SotS1, like beams and missile impacts.

Maybe because of the special effects like bloom and other stuff that wasn't introduced in prime. I don't know they look good to me.

Anyway. I've finished the Gravitational Adaptation.

153.jpg

The next thing I wanted to get was Biosphere preservation, because big CH planets will eat it quite fast, and reducing that loss would be beneficial. Unfortunately our lab monkeys don't know how to do it :( Which is a shame because it also unlocks even better terraforming processes.

154.jpg

155.jpg

Well, of to improving our fleet again. First we need better energy output.

156.jpg

157.jpg

This adds auxiliary fusion reactor, which gives additional power if needed, but the next step is more important currently.

158.jpg

159.jpg

I was so desperate that I've risen the tax to max, and our lab monkeys were lucky with early breakthrough. Antimatter in just 5 turns. Sweet.

Now with power problems gone and faster travels, it's time for small weapons upgrade.

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

For now the positron beam will be our main heavy weapon.

163.jpg

166.jpg

169.jpg

I've also tried to see what the AI is cooking and only was able to see the Liir and the Tarkas. Pretty nasty business they are preparing.

164.jpg

165.jpg

The third salvage project is finished and I am disappointed.

167.jpg

Also my Government style changed to Liberationism, which also ain't the best.

168.jpg

The last weapon upgrade for now will be phasors. Because everyone loves phasors.

170.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

Additionally prior to getting Positron Beams Rob gets an upgrade just in case. Since we are only retrofitting the design there is no need to create new prototype.

171.jpg

Also before we will create new type of ships or update the current ones we need this. It halves the cost of prototyping, so why should I pay 4kk for a DN prototype when I can just pay 2kk ? And we ain't swimming in money yet, but we are getting there.

174.jpg

175.jpg

176.jpg

I will also want this for upgraded shuttles.

177.jpg

With the new technology a new DN sized ships are created and a few older prototypes get an upgrade.

178.jpg

179.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

With the new designs the Liir are screwed. But that is not the best to offer yet.

182.jpg

Now it's time to create Tier 2 assault fleets, and I am lacking any creativity in fleet naming, so if anyone has some ideas please tell. But please no "Here fishy fishy fishy" this time :P

183.jpg

While the new fleets get assembled there is one minor detail to get more ships to fleet.

184.jpg

185.jpg

And that is what makes this game so interesting, never know what to expect.

About fleet names, what about swords (gladius, katana, saber, etc.)? I read that the titular Sword of the Stars is a SolForce dreadnought class during a marathon through TV Tropes.

They all seem like ship names to me :P

Anyway, the first test run of the new Invasion fleets reveals a design flaw in one of the ships.

186.jpg

The holograhpic tactics now when finished boost our fleet size by 12 command points which is equivalent of 2 cruisers.

With that done I need to back track a bit with some energy tech, to improve the speed of the assault shuttles. But in order this technology must come first.

188.jpg

189.jpg

Though it says it's for fusion engines, you can use it on Antimmater ones to.

And now the the goal.

190.jpg

191.jpg

Also don't forget to murder few fish. It's payback time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3NMbbLOMA

And with payback comes some spoils.

192.jpg

193.jpg

And a few others in other invasions.

194.jpg

Now is also the good time to improve planetary defense a little.

195.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

Unfortunately the most crucial of the basics will remain a mystery.

201.jpg

202.jpg

Another salvage project will help us deliver more damage if needed.

200.jpg

Also let's increase our trading profits, we are doing very well with trade (something around 3kk per turn).

203.jpg

Checking the diplomacy bar, has shown that LOA strangely begins to like us.

204.jpg

So a peace treaty is signed.

206.jpg

Another salvage reports in light emitters.

205.jpg

Also the Tarkas made me just mad. I've cleanse the world of Liirian trash and they've snatched the world from me. I think it will be WAR!!!

207.jpg

Hey, tomorrow I should post a bigger update. The time to take some turns is quite big currently. Overall it gets pretty interesting, though I am at turns number where in Prime you were ending the game now things start to build up, and I really want to show you some more intense moments, but only 1 AI probably will provide a challenge, but I don't know what others are hiding. It is strange the the most fearsome are acting like puppies. I think that they are constantly battling with Hivers. I also would like the AI to summon one of their masters. Could be fun if they do.

Morrigi are all strangely silent. The only really active sides is LoA, Tarkas and Liir. Though I also see that LoA AI fails to use properly their propulsion system.

Time to continue the war.

As time passed by, I've finally have the modular construction which gives boost to my economy. I don't bother with Q-Ships since they are not worth it.

210.jpg

And I also was surprised to see this offer.

208.jpg

We probably won't be helping each other here, but at least I will know more about the surrounding. And let me tell you that he has trashed his parts with the accelerators that he wasn't using to get to me.

Also during one of the surveys we found another independents. They sure do look fearsome. Let's hope I will manage to research them before someone else drops by and blow them to kingdom come.

209.jpg

I also strangely got a peace treaty with the Morrigi. Well they did keep quiet, but still they hate us.

211.jpg

The next tech I wanted to get was just because of the new sections.

212.jpg

213.jpg

A little more into the colony development. Not only the bio technology helps.

214.jpg

During some of never ending skirmishes the Liir have finally upgraded some of the ships. But if only AI was keen to upgrade more...

215.jpg

The research shows green light.

216.jpg

An oh my I am so happy with this.

218.jpg

With the sure possibility of getting meson beams it will be rape time later.

Also the Morrigi have accpeted a trade offer. Don't know how it will work if I don't know anything about them, but with the Antimatter engines we have the reach for whole universe.

219.jpg

With the Pressure polarization done.

220.jpg

I'll need this one to get some mining stations. I have few systems that will benefit in production.

221.jpg

222.jpg

I've also got the tech that normally it's mostly impossible to get as humans. I think it is only reserved to Liir and Zuul.

223.jpg

I've also finally encountered the Hivers and they don't like from the start.

224.jpg

The overall skirmishes and planetary invasion do bring me lots of salvage.

225.jpg

And as like I said - the war should spice things up a bit. The Zuul are quiet, the Liir are boring.

217.jpg

There is also one more happy thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcwF_4eRkdM

Yep he is finally dead now. Good riddance and don't come back.

As soon as I've declared war, the Tarkas decided to bomb mine colony and the independents. It shows how evil they are.

226.jpg

The mining operations are done so let's go for the new tech I've got. It leads to other good techs that I will probably salvage too.

227.jpg

228.jpg

The Tarka does like it hard. Like mother protects it's children the colonization fleet ferociously defended a fresh colony. So many pew pew lasers.

229.jpg

Though this turn was a success the next turn Liirs finished the job :(

The salvage projects never end which is good.

230.jpg

And this is done.

232.jpg

So the next thing is to upgrade our ships to next tier. Currently our invasion fleets are suffering due to immense defense firepower of both Liir and Tarka. The improved speed on the missiles made laser PD almost useless as many missiles get a direct hits on the assault cruisers. Therefore any invasion mission are again postponed and only defensive actions will take place. So the first step to upgrade our weaponry is the newly acquired meson technology.

233.jpg

234.jpg

Following the further advancement in phasor technology to get phasor PDs if we are lucky.

235.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

238.jpg

239.jpg

240.jpg

And we were lucky. The best PD is ours. Next will be a small detour through new technology tree - Cybernetics.

241.jpg

242.jpg

Because we have few level 5 science stations and few more underway.

243.jpg

Also our salvage team is always on the job.

231.jpg

I've noticed that that most of my colonization fleets are way too slow currently, so Rob gets an upgrade and the other colonization ships too.

244.jpg

I've also wanted to upgrade the armour....

245.jpg

But this information made me a little scared. I hope I will salvage it soon.

246.jpg

Well... but still if we will have a powerful alpha strike the armour may be not that crucial (I hope). So we need to learn a few bits about better sections.

247.jpg

Also no, this is not a mistake.

248.jpg

During salvage roll, you can get the same project more than once until you've research it.

Now since this is done.

249.jpg

This technology will give me the means of creating ships with massive firepower.

250.jpg

253.jpg

Although many salvages I consider junk sometimes you get what you want or tried earlier but failed.

251.jpg

252.jpg

Now to finish weapon upgrade I can skip to cutting beams through meson beam.

255.jpg

256.jpg

Although I am happy with them, I also got to wonder - when the AI will decide to use it. And also when will I see bigger ships.

257.jpg

With the Cutting beams done.

259.jpg

I'll be needing to improve the efficiency of the generators, because the new technology is so power hungry that I can supply the demand.

261.jpg

There are two technologies that should help me.

The first one is unfortunately dead end.

260.jpg

262.jpg

But the second one maybe a saver - if not I will have to think about either HEAPs or Stormer/Burster combo. Since cutting beams and meson beams will deal with the armor the heavy barrage on structural parts of the ships may be devastating.

264.jpg

265.jpg

And another shielding technology which may come handy.

263.jpg

As I was wondering when the AI will server a bigger plate.... I didn't want them to double team tag me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF8H7e4HYik

If you are wondering why the AI did what it dead, well their ships were designed for planetary bombardment. Those rail guns aren't efficient vs ships.

I did another check on the AI and I was a little shocked. Though AI on hard has some boost on the income ( I don't know how much ), most of them were very overburdened in the spending area. I had to fix all of the AIs budget system and that took me at least 2 hours of thinking what to do. Well mostly I've scuttled most of their fleets. This should force them to create new ones with better techs. The Hivers are really gimped. They are stations whores and almost 100% of there income was ate by station maintenance and fleet maintenance. I don't know what Kerberos was thinking but I think that the upkeep of gates is way too high. I'll probably do next SotS2 AAR as hivers just to show how foo bared they are on the start. Also the AI's tend to create fleets and not use them. Most of them were labeled invasion fleets.

I'm beginning to feel that AI will not stop me as currently I have enough money to create fleets that will obliterate anything. Well almost anything because I saw something that I shouldn't and I ain't telling what.

Moving on, so I reduced the fleet sizes of all AIs so things will be quiet for now, and I will not invade any AI until I will say I have enough firepower to begin final campaign. So mostly I've kept to research, upgrading stations and colonizing what left I could colonize.

So let's start with science.

266.jpg

267.jpg

Both of these grant more power but the Plasma Induction only works on Fusion engines.

Also the blasted LoA, blasted the frogs... eh - next time I will force myself to research protectorate or something.

268.jpg

269.jpg

Although they were wiped out, I've managed to build science station before their extinction. Stupid Tarkas...

270.jpg

And yes if you are playing The Pit, you can find some stranglers there :P

271.jpg

And I already have those :(

272.jpg

273.jpg

274.jpg

I did it just to check if it works on AM.

275.jpg

With the weaponry done, I can now start building combat vessels.

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

The indomitable and invincible are names taken from other game (that was played by Jman). Though there was a third name I completely forgot it. If by chance someone knows it, please be a good chap and cough it up eh?

Now I need to improve my support ships.

279.jpg

280.jpg

This should stop those pesky missiles.

281.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

This last tech stopped my in getting Electronic Warfare section for the Dreadnoughts. I will have to rely on the deep scan then to scout the area and know what's coming way ahead.

287.jpg

288.jpg

So now I can make the support ships.

289.jpg

290.jpg

Ok so the battle techs are ready it's time to invest in something more practical for the empire. And some passive upgrades for the fleets.

291.jpg

292.jpg

The fleets are almost assembled time to draw a battle plan for you.

I know it may be hard to read but the main goal is to invade everyone.

293.jpg

If you have any questions regarding the locations just ask. The Tarkas are second biggest after me player, so I will doing most fights with them.

Also during fleet creations I've noticed this small thing that normal person would just miss. Although containing a typo when you see it, you're love for Kerberos just goes up.

294.jpg

Dar Pomorza

And also when the first battle comes you get to know what expect from the ships.

295.jpg

It's very frustrating that one of you're most powerful ships loses some armour.

During invasion on hiver worlds a Dreadnought pops out. It's life span after engaging combat was 5 seconds.

296.jpg

297.jpg

And a major battles with Tarkas.

298.jpg

299.jpg

300.jpg

301.jpg

And a little show of my unstoppable fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWVVk7E9Do

• 2 weeks later...