Name That Strategy Game

Thorondor

:cough:, :cough:

Got a cold? wink.png

The work of art (modesty need not apply here) you're linking to was made by me in MS Paint, so I'm afraid there's no excuse for you there either.

So, all told, my point stands, and I'm pleased to see I've got the game right too. grin.gif

Scoring: me +10, you +5 (I'm feeling generous)

::

It will take me a while to render the next game hint at present, so hang tight! :)

Your memory serves you well, SV - correct! :cool:

Lots of neat details in that game - like the troops playing cards when idling, being able to blow up critters like crocs lounging about in ponds sky-high with your Toughs' rocket launchers, etc. :D

*scoreboard updated*

You've got the power, SV - so draw us a picture! :)

Oh, dang, I'd been thinking of doing that if I had another turn. You've got to love a game where the soldiers readily tell you how they feel about you when you're playing badly. (or, for that matter, when you're technically winning)

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, youngsters... https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/old-025.gif

It is a ZX Spectrum strategy game Samurai. IMO one of the best of its time.

https://youtu.be/hH2ijWcccAc

We have no rule regarding nobody even trying. So what do you say, shall we make the leader go for another try? wink.png Ok ok, I'll come up with another one.

So you were basically playing Total War before its time, SV? ;)

Don't think I ever played the game you mentioned. Also, didn't have a ZX, but one of these.

*Puts game master cap back on*

Right, so you know what's coming. Nobody guessed your game, or even dared to try - which you yourself anticipated was a very real possibility given how obscure the reference potentially was.

When someone is taking the role of artist the aim is obviously to score as much as possible, so opting for games not very well known or lost in the mists of time :P is not in your best interest or in the general spirit of the gameplay itself.

Therefore, in this circumstance, and given no 'victims' ;) ventured guesses, my ruling is that you submit a replacement entry.

Let the precedent be recorded, and make it so!

Let the precedent be recorded, and make it so!

Yes, your Honour.

I do however feel the urge to express my concern about the use of legislation in this court. I would rather have a slightly obscure reference and take great pride if someone can solve the mystery. I find it more satisfactory than posting a CD cover or redrawing it.

I will fight that urge and succumb, I fear the wrath of your Honour and an even harsher ruling, he he he!

• 2 weeks later...

Recreating someone else's art is harder than creating your own. Kudos to forgers.

After deciding the picture is crap I had multiple ways to go. Delete the whole thing, draw it by hand, scan and use some effect or the other to make it look like the real thing. Going for another game. Start from scratch. Run like hell, never to return in shame. Then my lazy side kicked in, so I finished it with what I had and I'm posting it as it is. There will be no clues given. If no one recognizes it and there are no guesses, I'm sending PMs with the correct answer to carefully selected members of SC. Carefully enough not to send it to Thor and be smitten by Mjölnir.

There.

Monkey_island.png

I think you tipped too much with this post SV.

Oh, that was completely unintentional. Collateral damage. https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/pokerface.gif

And shit, the pic you posted reveals how crappy my drawing is. This soldier card is a bit simpler in game, but not at all as simple as I've drawn it. ANYWAY, ready your brushes!

And if you guys haven't tried the game, do so.