UFO Extender 1.28

Tycho

Have you tried setting the option for Animation Speed under [bug Fixes] in the INI?

yep, same thing.. with and without

Sorry, I have no idea about the Russian translation..You might check the Russian language sections on UFOpaedia to see if someone there might know who to ask

mm, is it possible to move all new strings which i see in your code to separate editable file? so i will be able to replace with proper for ru translation? smth like ufoextender.lng... ru language looks like replace english one totaly with fonts too so that is actually a problem

update:

okey.. figured out with translation updating src and ini with special font character set.. so left graphical bug only

This is the continuation of many other problems with XCOM I've documented on SPUF. The problem I'm having with UFOExtender.exe might be due to all of the changes that have been made to the XCOM folders as a result of trying to get XcomUtil working. I downloaded UFOExtender 1.28, then downloaded 1.28.3 and extracted it into the same folder. I launched UFOLoader.exe, and got this:

XCOM crashed at 0x7611C41F with error 0xE06D7363

After that, I backed up my XCOM folder, 7-zipped it, deleted the unzipped one, and redownloaded XCOM. I downloaded UFOExtender 1.28, then downloaded 1.28.3 and extracted it into the same folder. I launched UFOLoader.exe, and the game started in windowed bordered mode at the default resolution. I set the resolution to 0 0 1080 1920, and tried various aspect ratios to fix the distortion--0.5625, 1.7777, and 1.1111--but none of these fixed the distortion caused by running a 4:3 game in 16:9 resolution. I then tried running it in 0 0 1080 1440, which is the biggest 4:3 resolution my monitor can support. I then got vertical distortion, even with different aspect ratios of 0.75 and 1.3333. Changing the aspect ratio appears to do nothing--I set it to 5.000 and 0.0001 without any detectable differences (I did all of my testing from the main menu and base selection screen).

Also, I can't get it to run in borderless mode. Alt+Enter does nothing. Using GameCompanion, I can get it to run mostly in fullscreen, but the borders are still visible to the right and bottom borders. I found a workaround by hiding the taskbar with this utility and by reducing window borders from within Windows personalization options. However, I don't know if this means the full screen mode is using the entire resolution, or if it is still off by a few pixels and the workarounds are only hiding the borders rather than eliminating them.

Hi Tycho,

I appreciate all the work you did on extenders, thanks a lot.

- I cannot seem to find the source part in your version of the Seb's patch. He published it under GNU license if I remember, so you should always include it in the zip file.

Could you post it, please? Or point me to the place where it's posted?

I need it for personal purposes and enjoyment.

kyrub

Ah well. - Thanks a lot!

(Btw, if you are interested in putting more detailed AI settings into the extender (so that people can experiment), just say it. The type of: tendency to search cover / snipe / assault related to aggression levels and situation. Picking up weapons was mentioned already and it is an important upgrade as well.)

Thanks, Kyrub. I think any enhancements that can make the game more challenging without putting the player at a disadvantage are a great addition. I haven't done it for EU yet but I added the ability for the user to alter the "item work" byte in the OBDATA under that mod. I think someone on UFOpaedia mentioned that the game ignores any value less than five so the AI evaluates this already.

BTW, welcome back! I was beginning to think the alien horde abducted you.

excuse me, I've been having this problem with the extender and was wondering if you could help me out. See, I've been trying to load both XComUtil, who's effects I really want, and the extender, as it takes the smoke effects from 400 to 2000+. I'm having difficulty getting both of the programs effects to take place. I've run the XComUtil set up procedure, and it saw that the extender was present, setting it up as part of the install. However, when I load XComUtil through steam, Extender's effects do not appear, and when I start Extender, XComUtil's effects don't appear. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this.

excuse me, I've been having this problem with the extender and was wondering if you could help me out. See, I've been trying to load both XComUtil, who's effects I really want, and the extender, as it takes the smoke effects from 400 to 2000+. I'm having difficulty getting both of the programs effects to take place. I've run the XComUtil set up procedure, and it saw that the extender was present, setting it up as part of the install. However, when I load XComUtil through steam, Extender's effects do not appear, and when I start Extender, XComUtil's effects don't appear. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this.

After setting up the Util to use extender, you'll have to use the file "runxcom.bat" from a windows command prompt, not DOSbox. I think the default link in Steam is to run the game through DOSbox. You should look at the steam forums about X-com to find out more about getting both to work through the steam interface, if possible.

I went ahead and ran the "runxcom.bat" from a command prompt, but I only got the crash message "XCOM crashed at 0x45E6A5 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000"

While i'm trying to fix this, is there anyway just to get the expanded smoke tables? That is, literally, the only thing I want.

Edit: If there is a way to use the "Day Missions only" option that XcomUtil supports with UFOExtender instead, I'd be alright with that too.

I just now managed to get XComUtil and Extender to work together. Strangely enough, the version most recently released on this site causes me misery and woe, but the version given here...

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530&page=2

Works fine.

It's probably user error on my end, but it's working for me now. (hopefully, it'll be stable too)

I just now managed to get XComUtil and Extender to work together. Strangely enough, the version most recently released on this site causes me misery and woe, but the version given here...

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530&page=2

Works fine.

It's probably user error on my end, but it's working for me now. (hopefully, it'll be stable too)

Did you ever try to run the extender without any video settings enabled? There might have been a conflict between Extender video settings and XcomUtil's.

what happens if you set D3D windowed=0 in the UFOExtender.ini?

The colors are displayed incorrectly. It is especially noticeable in light value colors. It does not correct the aspect ratio distortion. I think I can roughly estimate what the square resolution is by opening an image editor and comparing the globe image to a circle, but I'd like to know exactly how to get the game's native resolution to scale properly to the monitor's native resolution with pillarboxing.

The screen ratio setting will only work in full screen mode, either with D3D=1 or video pitch=1. you can't toggle full screen from a windowed mode by Alt-enter. I'm sorry for the confusion. I altered the explanation on the UFOpaedia site to clarify things a little better.

The game's original resolution was 320x200 so 16/10. To make it scale to 16/9, the value should either be 1.1111 or 0.9. One will either give you a letterbox effect and the other, a pillarbox.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tycho,

Hope you can help me. I am running windows 7 64bit and a Philips 241 E flat panel display at 1920x1080 resolution. I've installed the windows version of UFO Collectors but on starting UFO Defense.exe I get a blank screen but I can hear the game music. I've done a number of searches on the web and most solutions point to your UFO Extender mod. I've gone onto you UFOpaedia page to download your latest version but when I open the zip file all I see is one file patcher.dll. I'm obviously doing some thing wrong can you help as I'm not sure what to do with patcher.dll, this is inside the UFOLoader.zip.

I use to play this excellent game when it forst came out and now want to finish it after many years absence

Thanks very much for your help.

the latest file is a patch. You need to download the full version from the same page: version 1.28. Install it then apply the latest patch file by extracting it and click "yes" to overwrite the file. Check out the installation instructions on the Extender's UFOpaedia page.

• 2 weeks later...

To make it scale to 16/9, the value should either be 1.1111 or 0.9. One will either give you a letterbox effect and the other, a pillarbox.

I set Screen Ratio=1.1111, changed D3D to D3D=0. I launched UFOLoader.exe, the resolution was correct without stretching; it displays with pillarboxes as it should, and the colors displayed correctly.

Moving the cursor to the top of the screen does not bring up the menu so I can exit the game. I tried changing Options from Escape to Esc; the only difference I could see was labels and borders on the Geoscape. Is the only way to bring up the Load/Save/Abandon screen by clicking Options in the Geoscape screen?

The animations play faster than they should. What value should Animations Speed be set to?

I tried setting Clip Cursor to 1 and 2, but the cursor keeps moving off the screen when it reaches the border. I have patcher.dll v1.28.3.

The mouse sensitivity is too high in game; outside of the game, the sensitivity can be adjusted with the sensitivity buttons on my mouse. Is there a way to alter the mouse sensitivity from UFOExtender.ini?

I set Screen Ratio=1.1111, changed D3D to D3D=0. I launched UFOLoader.exe, the resolution was correct without stretching; it displays with pillarboxes as it should, and the colors displayed correctly.

Moving the cursor to the top of the screen does not bring up the menu so I can exit the game. Am I doing something wrong, or is this something that can be fixed by editing UFOExtender.ini?

The animations play faster than they should. What value should Animations Speed be set to?

Changing D3D to 0, also turns off the window, so it is now the game is in full screen. You'll have to exit the game by the "quit to DOS" option from the game menu. The 'animation speed' option only slows the smoke and cursor animations not every animation in the battlescape. I have found that setting the "max FPS" lower (for me, 60~70) seems to work well for this.

I have max FPS set to 70. It's like a game that plays with the CPU unlocked when the game is tied to the CPU--many times faster than the game's intended speed.

Also, the mouse sensitivity is too high. Setting the scroll speed lower helped reduce the wild movement when the cursor reaches the edge of the screen. Is there a way to adjust it in UFOExtender.ini?

I got the PSX music working following the instructions in this post,

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13502829&postcount=2

and in this one:

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33217744&postcount=276

Try lowering the value in max FPS and see if it has any impact on the animations. You might also try lowering your video card acceleration (You'll have to check the video card properties, this might not be possible if you have a new OS). Extender doesn't have anything to manipulate the input from, or, output to the OS (no volume control for sounds, etc) at this time.

There are some third-part applications that can slow down older programs, but that is the best recommendation I can give, if the Max FPS doesn't work for you.

update: there is an option in the INI to alter the speed in the battlescape. When in full screen mode you need to enable the 'Scale Mouse' option to keep the mouse on the screen. You should check out all the options on the UFOpaedia page. Just follow the link in my sig.

Hi there,

I tought I had posted this already.. but probably i didn't hit the send reply button since I can't find the post anymore.

Anyway, I just wanted to give some suggestions about some features UFOextender currently lacks that I would love to see integrated in a future version:

1)editable starting soldiers attributes (cuttently UFOextender only allows you to set the maximum caps of those STATs, yet for those that, like me, don't like the idea of soldier's health raising much through experience, this could be useful).

2) editable HWP stats of chassis and their weapons (currently possible with XcomED only for the first part, yet is not possible to change the damage dished out by HWP weapons)

3) editable fire/stun damage of equipment that does this type of damage(currently the stun damage of things like smoke bombs is so low that it's almost of no strategic consideration.. it would be cooler if stun bombs had an higher stun per turn value, in order to make them more complicated to use and also extend the value of equipment that gives soldiers stun immunity. I've tried increasing the stun damage of granades with Xcom ED, but this only makes a wider smoke cloud with stun damage per turn remaining the same.. tweaking with fire damage maybe could allow thins like flamethrowers to be moddable!).

4) editable fatal wound system (current system basically gives you 3 fatal wounds anytime a soldier is damaged by 10+ hits.. I would love that to be tweakable to something like 1 fatal wound for every 10 hp lost, maybe with some added random factor). It would also be cool if part of those fatal wounds could be in stun damage, making the need to rescue with a medikit collapsed soldiers even more frequent (something which however already happens due to the fact that frequently weapon damage gives also a bit of stun damage if I recall right).

5)a critical hit chance system (without this - unless you want to bring soldier HP to something like 100 and retweak all the weapons around that value - it's hard to regulate weapon power against armor and HP since, unless you plan that some weaker guns like plasma pistols CAN'T oneshot a soldier in heavy armor, you'll later have to give more powerfull weapons even more punch, risking to make them having a very high oneshot rate, especially if you have original HP values ffor your soldiers. If a crit chance could be added like a % random factor that allows a bigger multiplier than usual to be applied to te base damage, even a low damage weapon could happen to oneshot or cause severe wounds albeith that wouldn't be possible - and thus, rare - due to it's base damage).

6)option to chose % chance of aliens having a weapon over another (currently, later on in the game it seems alien only carry heavy plasma and, occasionally, blaster bombs.. that's quite boring. I would love instead to be able to choose which weapon they use and mod those weapons, in order to differentiate more the various aliens: e.g. by making the light plasma some sort of sniper rifle with low snap shot accuracy but high on aimed, and maybe making some sort of heavy plasma cannon with good autofire rate but not of great accuracy)

Thanks for the attention, and the great job done with UFOextender to keep alive a game that, even with the release of a fun 2012 XCOM, still shines as the best of the series IMHO.