171 replies to this topic

#121 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

If Atlas had turned out to be a "good guy"? That would've been a plot twist, given that they layed it on so thick you saw his betrayal coming from the moment you got off the boat.

Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't just an expy of "Polito", from a certain game where the twist did come as a surprise.

That said, BioShock was entertaining enough. In a "I've played the game once now I'll never bother with it again" kind of way. Frankly I didn't mind the story, or even the railroading; but the fact that all the special abilities consisted of a "here's something new to shoot" effect, and at one point you're given access to all of them, removed all replay value for me.

(Have only played the first title in the series).

I'd started to let myself think that perhaps the XCOM game design would've started to lean away from the "two agents" system (which they'd announced right back when the game first started development). It's a shame that's not the case. We don't get to manage battles, we don't get to manage bases. Seems they want the game to manage us, then. Meh. Hate to say it, but that's not how X-COM works.

View PostNKF, on 25th June 2011, 12:27am, said:

I don't mind the bulletin board system as it works great in level grinder RPGs where you have to soup up your characters before taking the next story event (on account of the deliberately amped enemy levels) to progress the plot. It's just doesn't seem right for X-Com.
Spot on. In each X-COM game, you start out with a simple task force, the aliens start out with a simple task force. You upgrade by slaughtering them (and/or the people you're supposed to protect, if playing Apocalypse), they upgrade in response to this. Repeat until the tech tree lets you find out where their source is and gives you the tools to get there. Feeding the tech tree to get to this point, is entirely your responsibility - that's you, the player, the one in front of the keyboard. The game has mechanisms for keeping you on track, but doesn't care if you win or lose individual battles.

In XCOM, it sounds like progress will be determined by which story mission you've completed. Odds are you'll be able to trash the aliens all day every day, but they won't attempt to adapt to you until you select mission X off the board.

That is to say, good luck bringing home a researchable giant sky-floating pulse cannon thing the first mission you encounter one (assuming it doesn't have scripted immortality, odds are it'll be outright immune to whatever guns you're allowed to bring anyway). And if you do down one, don't be surprised if the scientists refuse to touch it.

This is somewhat maddening, as Apocalypse had it down to such a fine art. You started out with a TON of equipment available, much of which was derived from the alien kit stolen throughout the first alien war. You could, if you messed with your funds enough, bring some serious hardware into the first mission if you wanted to.

The gear you requisitioned from the aliens seemed increasingly engineered to specifically deal with you. You get the impression that the aliens didn't even HAVE disruptor weaponry until they learned that they'd need guns to stand a chance against you.

Their tech tree, and hence yours, progressed steadily throughout the entire game. Odds are many players defeated the aliens long before researching everything - you really had to push the game in order to get to the point where the aliens would stop innovating. They even got their own equivalents to your toxins (Entropy Launchers), though the devs took mercy on us and made them blockable by shields...

But I digress.

</ramble>
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#122 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 30th June 2011, 12:49pm, said:

Spot on. In each X-COM game, you start out with a simple task force, the aliens start out with a simple task force. You upgrade by slaughtering them (and/or the people you're supposed to protect, if playing Apocalypse), they upgrade in response to this. Repeat until the tech tree lets you find out where their source is and gives you the tools to get there. Feeding the tech tree to get to this point, is entirely your responsibility - that's you, the player, the one in front of the keyboard. The game has mechanisms for keeping you on track, but doesn't care if you win or lose individual battles.

If you find at least more than 50% of gamers that prefer to control the game rather than game controles them I'll send you a cookie. This days games become more and more no-brainers, and as Consoles as the main target of gameplays ( on a side note: I hate what consoles did to gaming) so every new game will be made for them. Many old titles were screwed by consoles, some were terrible, some are enough good to swallow.

Old type gaming is left for the oldies, that play those type of games made by other oldies.

We can rant, flame, ramble, etc. but It won't change how gaming industry looks like.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#123 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I dunno. The guys who made BioShock were, for a time, fairly reputable. This one game could change them to "those guys who stuffed up the X-COM remake". That'd be a fairly big loss, not only for them, but for their publishers - it affects the value of their following titles. People will buy stuff from those guys who made BioShock. Will they buy stuff from those guys who made XCOM?

If such a failure occurs - and I'm still not saying it will, even if a fair chunk of the web is, because what's said on the web doesn't always mesh with what's bought in stores - then you'd expect other companies to start reconsidering the "value" of their older franchises. In this case, I don't think it was expected that so many people would take this particular one so seriously. I certainly didn't see it coming.

#124 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hey Bethesda foobared Fallout 3 - but they won't suffer  in the sales of TES V. Though on the PC market they might with their idiotic plan about porting.

Bioware foobared Dragon Age 2, yet many people are very anxious to get their hands on Mass Effect 3, although there is a large hatred for Bioware on the web. Casual players tend to forget bad products.

#125 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

On polish gaming stie an XCOM preview article has appeared. When I read it, it dosen't looks that bad.
Yeah I know that looks can be deceiving.

The preview is actually optimistic. I would give a link but google translate make actually no sens in text.

#126 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,965 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

2K Quote:

"The '90s generation of gamers all love Xcom and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it? Every studio we had wanted to do it and each one had its own spin on it. But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing strategy games are just not contemporary." says 2K Games president Christoph Hartmann. "I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same."

"Thats what we are trying to do. To renew Xcom but in line with what this generation of gamers want. The team behind it is asking themselves every day: 'Is it true to the values of the franchise?' It's not a case of cashing in on the name. We just need to renew it because times are changing."
::

Read the rest of the 2K-centered interview here.

#127 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Ok, strategy games not being contemporary is something I CAN NOT agree with. I'm ok with X-COM taking another genres, but this is one non-excuse. The amount of strategy titles only Paradox publishes (and Thorondor tracks down) is astounding, and a lot of strategy series are all-times-best-off. Meh, I better stop.

#128 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

View PostThorondor, on 13th July 2011, 3:19pm, said:

2K Quote:

"The '90s generation of gamers all love Xcom and we own the IP, so we thought OK, what do we do with it? Every studio we had wanted to do it and each one had its own spin on it. But the problem was that turn-based strategy games were no longer the hottest thing on planet Earth. But this is not just a commercial thing – strategy games are just not contemporary." says 2K Games president Christoph Hartmann. "I use the example of music artists. Look at someone old school like Ray Charles, if he would make music today it would still be Ray Charles but he would probably do it more in the style of Kanye West. Bringing Ray Charles back is all fine and good, but it just needs to move on, although the core essence will still be the same."

"That’s what we are trying to do. To renew Xcom but in line with what this generation of gamers want. The team behind it is asking themselves every day: 'Is it true to the values of the franchise?' It's not a case of cashing in on the name. We just need to renew it because times are changing."
::

Read the rest of the 2K-centered interview here.

Definitely don't agree with that. They're changing it for a generation that for the most part don't even know what the original was and not listening to what the "old" generation want. Pretty much everyone who listens to music has heard at least of the name "Ray Charles", but not many gamers in the grand scheme of things have heard of X-COM.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still reserve final judgement until the game is released, but decoding that quote comes across as "we want to appeal to today's audience, and if the old timers are still in on it then that's cool but not essential".

You would think that the success, however niche, of the UFO After... series, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance and smaller titles like UFO: ET would be enough to make them go for a strategy title. In fact the Civilization series and even the aging SimCity series should show that strategy games can make a lot of money even now.

strategy games are just not contemporary

I would think that companies like Paradox Interactive and Matrix Games might perhaps find that a tad insulting, to name but a few contemporary strategy game studios/publishers who make a living on and are passionate about this genre.

Don't diss the game's roots, even unintentionally. It's a bad move Christoph if you do indeed want to keep us veterans on board.

Oh, and fancy an interview? We have asked several times, and 2K has ignored. Not that I'm saying we're more important than anyone else, we've just been covering X-COM for over a decade so it'd be nice to even get a read receipt on those emails we've sent.
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#129 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

And not to poke fun, but here's a quote from the same interview with Christoph Hartmann:

WHY BIOSHOCK 2 UNDERPERFORMED Next years BioShock: Infinite is one of 2Ks most anticipated video  games. However, 2010s BioShock 2 failed to do the numbers the label was  expecting.

Hartmann explains why:  It was the publishing window. It was the  spring of death. We shipped two weeks after Mass Effect 2. Every two  weeks there was a major release so you had two weeks to sell. And if you  look at the statistics of all of those titles, sales fell off a cliff  for all of them after two weeks.

The window was really bad and it was a tough one. We were all  shooting for autumn and all of us missed. So I think it was the window  more than anything else because the critical ratings were good.

And now watch this totally unrelated Zero Punctuation video: http://www.escapistm...1494-BioShock-2

#130 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

While I will continue to withhold judgment pending actual release, 2K is slowly climbing the rank of companies I have less interest in giving money to...

#131 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

New XCOm 20 minutes playthrough movie with commentary. Recorded on Xbox I see.

#132 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

I like it.

#133 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Can't wait to play it :P

I would have preferred, however, field agents wearing something more dignified, they look like accountants.
Posted Image

#134 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

1:40 - "As Agent Carter, that's what you're fighting for... That child's family and thousands of others like it are the stakes etc" - As opposed to, "As the Commander of X-COM, that's what you're fighting for... the whole world!"  :P

The people in the base, when the player talks to them, sorta bob around as if they're being controlled by a drunken marionette player...  :P

It's nice to finally see the agent management system! Not so nice to see the lack of stats for them...

5:22 - "When we played the original X-COM games, we felt almost overwhelmed with choices in between missions..." - Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh... Yup, they didn't even think about the "what to do when not shooting stuff" side of the game until the flaming started. Shoulda played more sandbox games.

The map looks odd - seems you have to fight your way across America, Syndicate style. Only here you're supposed to save the world, not conquer it.

He does a reasonable job of hinting that "yes, there's a complex story here", but without spoiling any of it. Other then, you know, telling us what the aliens are... Hope that doesn't mean they're not all that relevant to the story.   :)

In battle, the player has clearly done the rounds in this mission a fair few times already  ;)  - I know I'm not a dedicated FPS player, but the speed he reacts to things like the first few corpses really threw me. I also wouldn't think to avoid things like the giant bus of flaming death... Would be interesting to see what happens if you don't dodge. Instant death? Or is it just a big scripted event that only goes off when you're out of the way? Which reminds me, the player seems to have no form of health bar?

The agent comments are... weird. "What the hell happened here?" - This ain't your first mission buddy, if you haven't cottened on by now then you haven't really earned that next level yet...

The tactical view looks promising. Hate to imagine how flat the game would be without it (keep in mind it's a "revision"), though.

The bit where he flanks the guys with the shield is... weird. They turn so the shield aims at him, ignoring the TWO guys who should've promptly blown them away. Instead, the aliens come to no harm until he convinces them to point the shield at his allies... Yup, that's teamwork, I suppose...

Commentator's blabbing on about the "flank", but it was up to the player to gun down all the aliens...  ;)

He runs on, encounters an army of aliens. Yup, three dudes in office-wear versus a re-enforced position filled with alien grunts! But it's all good, 'cause our guys have regen, apparently. And can keep running while being shot. Too bad for the military, guess they didn't have those perks. Yeah, the shield gizmo helped, but the team should've been cut down before they ever reached cover, charging up like that while taking hits...

It's vexing to see only one alien gun dropped by the hordes he takes down (though the camera angles make it hard to see if that's really was the only one - the player never checked the bodies, and that gun just happened to be in his way). It's certainly the case that many of the guns just seemed to de-spawn. I was about ready to head-desk at the agent comment when he picked it up - "That is one heck of a weapon!" - clearly it's not, unarmored X-COM agents soak up shots from it like they're nothing....

... Followed by a "How in the hell are we supposed to fight that thing?!", shouted out before "that thing" has even appeared and made itself obvious as a threat (they didn't complain about the earlier terra-forming, which could've frankly looked more dangerous to me)... When the player DOES start to take "burn" damage, beats me as to how he knows it! The "titan", when captured, naturally does way more damage to the aliens then it does to player squad - the player takes a shot to the face from it and can still happily run around.  :)

So um yeah.

Verdict! It's a COD rip, as Greywalker suggested. I really do think the guys running the project know this and are embarrassed about it, so I suppose I can give 'em points for trying.

#135 Jman4117

Jman4117

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 26th August 2011, 6:47am, said:

New XCOm 20 minutes playthrough movie with commentary. Recorded on Xbox I see.

Oh..the torture! XD
"Guns aren't toys. They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face."
-- Krusty the Clown, "The Simpsons"

#136 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

BB, it was presentation, so I guess the devs had some easy settings just to show the game, it was on XBox, so again they had some auto help.

You know if you are lucky + you can use god mode named load/save in original X-Com you could win the game with one soldier :P

Plus you can't satisfy everyone :P

I say it looks nice although it is blasphemy on the series.

#137 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

New interview at Gamespot.

#138 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Is it just an unfounded sense of optimism, or is that body armour at 2:12 and 4:35?

Well, I suppose the 4:35 shot is just more of that rubbish the agents strap to themselves for their "perks", but surely they're gonna have some real armour at some point, right?

... Right?!

#139 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

I would hope so... The clerkish look of the agents is what bothers me the most (with the time setting) and covering it up with armours would be just great.

I don't recall hearing a damn thing about it though. Also I can't say I can recognize any armour at the times you listed, it seems as the extra equipment some agents are wearing on their backs. Those probably enable the special abilities agents have, like disabling alien equipment.

#140 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

I think in the first one BB mentioned it's on the wall in the background toward the left of shot, and in the second one BB mentioned there's something in the dark on the far-right of the shot that looks like it could be armour to me.

I would hope that they do get armour and that they just don't want to spoil things by uncovering the entire tech tree just yet. Half of the fun of X-COM on your first playthrough is seeing what weird and wonderful things the guys in the lab are going to come up with next and I always found it very satisfying when researching a single topic would lead to 5 more things to research :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users