UFO2000 can use TFTD maps now

serge

You mean you just stole the maps from TFTD? I thought you were meant to be remaking it... It doesn't sound like it's all that different so far :spam:

UFO2000 goal is to remake the whole game at some point in the future. Currently we have a working remake of game engine, but have almost no our own graphics. So UFO2000 can use grahics and maps from X-COM and TFTD, but we do not distribute data files from X-COM and TFTD with the game. So getting a copy of X-COM and TFTD is up to the user (the user can buy it legally, download and use data files from X-COM DEMO with UFO2000 or even use illegal copy from a warez site - all this is not our problem).

That's not very convenient for users, I mean somewhat difficult install procedure. But it is better than having a working engine and do not use it at all but search for people to remake the graphics (and wait for another few years :) ).

A new remade graphics will be added to the game eventually (by the way, if there are skilled art designers reading this forum, you can join our project, you can mail me serge@lxnt.info), but I don't think that the support for original X-COM data files will be ever discontinued.

X-COM engine still outperforms engines of all the other tactical squad based strategies. It supports multiple levels, realistic land surface (hills and mountains), is fully destructible. JA2 for example has only a single level (a roof does not count), flat landscape and limited destruction. UFO: Aftermath is even worse, you can't enter the buildings, and have many other limitations. That's why UFO2000 uses an engine very close to X-COM, this will allow us to have a superior X-COM remake in the future (IMHO of course :) ).

Serge, you mean the map chunks, from which the battlescape was composed. And what about the lighting? I mean, the battlescape in TFTD has some blue tint. And also bubbles

Just try it yourself :)

In geographical detail, yes, X-Com engine is more detailed. But in detalisation of combat, JA2 is a step further, I think. It has much more different movement options, swimming, knocking down by explosion blast and so on.

Bulma scratch made us a 100*100 4 level tactical arena :spam: If that isn't better than the one the originals use I don't know what is! It also uses graphics way better than the originals whilst still avoiding the crapness of Apocalypse :)

I know what you mean about complicated installs though :) We still have quite a few bugs as far as universal operations go! And you need about three or four downloads to run it at the moment :) Every release gets closer to finished though!