Alien Mothership

Aquatoid5000

Don't remember what type the UFO was when this happened to me but one time when I was in the same situation it turned out that one of the aliens had fallen down a hole in the floor caused by stray weaponfire! Just sweep the place, if that fails, nuke the place :P

Skeletoids congregate on the roof of the Mothership generally as they can fly.

If you're doing a room by room sweep, leave teams on each lift level facing outwards so the enemy can't eascape and send one man round each edge of each room, as occasionally the AI gets a bit too good and you'll run round a room one ay and they'll run away in the same direction but there'll be something in the middle of the room blocking your view.

Be sure to check some seemingly obvious places. You wouldn't believe how many times I've lost megaspawn just behind the entrance into the battleship! Make sure your soldiers take a few seconds to look at some of the seemingly more obvious places. The game occasionally has a minor delay in updating what the soldier can see. Any manually created holes and tunnels should be checked as well.

Check for any holes that alien may have dropped out of (or into, as the case may be). Fly up onto the roof of the UFO if there is one - Skeletoids have been known to move there.

If worst comes to worst, switch on a motion scanner and run about wildly and check every dot that lights up as you're running. Make sure you check on the various levels as well.

Oh, be sure to listen. All the aliens have an obvious noise that they make every so often. This helps you identify what you're looking for, and may even help you pinpoint their location. The sound's generally louder the closer they are to the screen. I wouldn't rely on this too much, but it's worth noting.

- NKF

If I am right, the AI is programmed to find your troops. Which is nice cos I tend to post two squads on either side of the crater which approaches the ship's entrance and so anything that comes out is enfiladed immediately, and they can cover each other as well. This is why I cannot figure out why the level won't end because I killed most of the aliens at the entrance, and I haven't damaged the UFO too much (no holes in the ground). I've patrolled the entire map and cannot find any hidy holes...

Concerning the sound factor, the game plays it in stereo. If you can hear an alien out of the right hand speaker, then you need to move that way. If both speakers play at the same volume, you're right on top of him.

How the heck did you come to that conclusion? That is mighty interesting and helpful.

If I am right, the AI is programmed to find your troops. Which is nice cos I tend to post two squads on either side of the crater which approaches the ship's entrance and so anything that comes out is enfiladed immediately, and they can cover each other as well. This is why I cannot figure out why the level won't end because I killed most of the aliens at the entrance, and I haven't damaged the UFO too much (no holes in the ground). I've patrolled the entire map and cannot find any hidy holes...

The AI will seek your units out, but only if it can. If something is trapped like they've mentioned above then they won't pop out. Also, it has path finding problems in some maps. The mothership is not too complex, just guard the main central room while you send scouts to the sorrounding ones. If it's using teleporters tho, you might to scout in and out several times.

I haven't encountered teleporters yet so I'm guessing they aren't using them yet. I carried on with the game last night and I played this mission for three hours solid (gospel!) :P Wife was not impressed!! I searched everywhere and couldn't see anything - too make matters worse the sound wasn't working - very tempremental on ME - so I couldn't even hear the buggers! Thanx to you all for your advice, guess I'll just have to persevere!

Changing the subject, is it possible to get a patch for this that allows you to use the elements taken out of the final game? I quite like the idea of taking human prisoners!

Well, as someone said before, save the game, throw a few grenades, and if you kill the alien, you'll have a good idea of where he could be, so if you don't want to spend the grenades, just load up the old save, and find him.

• 1 month later...

XME (https://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/4995/ can show the tactical battle maps in savegames including the alien/civilian/xcom units on them. Might be useful for those last alien hunts.

That would be handy.. nice one!

Always happens to me, just when I have a good haul of live aliens and the likes. Is usually a skelatiod who flies up to the roof of the ship where i can't reach him... ;)

one point to remember is that there are sum areas of the larger sips like battleship and moterships that have a strange purple goo on it, it makes it hard to see unless u move right up to it, a good plan is to load out a few soldiers with marsec packs just incase they head skywards and pack sum vortex mines, in areas that have pod like things in the middle or this purple goo, use one of those mines and blow the whole place making the room more open and easier to see in, ive had times where one damn alien gets stuck in the smallest of inlets or by the missles in the scenery, just blow the whole place, if aliens are there u will know, its a pain i know but it happens sumtimes, remember that if sum have the cloak then it will been harder

if push comes to shove load up sum devistators and blast holes in the walls making the ufo less maze like and more open, that way aliens will find it harder to hide, i think though the AI is supposed to seek u out sum aliens will hide inside the ship hoping u get fed up and leave, just endure it,

there are many tactics ive used but it would take forever to explain em all, good luck and blow that mothership bk where it came from

• 1 year later...
Don't remember what type the UFO was when this happened to me but one time when I was in the same situation it turned out that one of the aliens had fallen down a hole in the floor caused by stray weaponfire! Just sweep the place, if that fails, nuke the place :oh:

I remembered you can save the game and use a mapediting tool to check where is the alien by looking for a red symbol from the overhead map.