Honing your skills in UFO: Aftershock...

Thorondor

Over at german GamerHall.de's forums three screen captures give us unprecedented, detailed information, about some of the training options available for soldiers in UFO: Aftershock.

As advised by Petr Kovarik (aka Pkovak), playtester at ALTAR Interactive:

"(...) before you start to train your soldiers, open your glossary and spend some time reading through all possible trainings and what each level of training can do. Write it to paper if you have to, look at every soldier you have and plan their future. Some training combinations are great, some are not and you won't have many free skill points (you get one skill point at each level, starting level 2). Once your soldiers will have all the prerequisites for their trainings, you can do what you want, but this will take some (a lot of) time."

Choose wisely...

::

Thanks for the heads up, Flux !

It works for me :P Perhaps you'd better try again.

Fascinating ! I love the 'Target Body Parts' training.

I love it ! In UFO:AM I always made generalized soldiers as each skill was important and I preferred it if they were multitasking troops. With this system you are 'forced' (and liking it) to specialize your soldiers in medics, snipers, etc.

Questions : Is there a limit to the number of trainings a soldier can take ? I understand it depends on skill points you earn with experience, but I mean is there a maximum number of trainings (and for that matter abilities) you can get ?

Cheers,

Lodewijk

"Is there a limit to the number of trainings a soldier can take ? I understand it depends on skill points you earn with experience, but I mean is there a maximum number of trainings (and for that matter abilities) you can get ?"

Indeed there is, Lodewijk.

Each soldier, regardless of type, will have a range of about a dozen different training options available, from which he must eventually select a maximum of three to varying degrees of proficiency (Basic > Advanced > Master). One last quirk is that only one of those "training slots" can reach Master and one other Advanced; which means the third remaining slot will (you've guessed it) never get past Basic.

This tallies a total of six possible trips to the training grounds per-soldier (with distinct soldier types having their own exclusive gear [Cyborgs, Psionics]). All in all, between training and level-ups, I'd venture this is a solid system with meaningful advancement choices to make all throughout the game.

Probably a little more than you wanted to know, but I preferred to err on the side of excess... :P

Man I am drulling all over the keyboard

The screenshots are great but what is even greater is that after more than a decade we are only a few days away of a game that seems to have the depth of the original xcom enemy unknown.

From what i have been reading the last year the combat system must have seen a general revamp and the prospect of base management and the production of items is really something to look forward.

I only wish it was October the 21st.

"Is there a limit to the number of trainings a soldier can take ? I understand it depends on skill points you earn with experience, but I mean is there a maximum number of trainings (and for that matter abilities) you can get ?"

Indeed there is, Lodewijk.

Each soldier, regardless of type, will have a range of about a dozen different training options available, from which he must eventually select a maximum of three to varying degrees of proficiency (Basic > Advanced > Master). One last quirk is that only one of those "training slots" can reach Master and one other Advanced; which means the third remaining slot will (you've guessed it) never get past Basic.

This tallies a total of six possible trips to the training grounds per-soldier (with distinct soldier types having their own exclusive gear [Cyborgs, Psionics]). All in all, between training and level-ups, I'd venture this is a solid system with meaningful advancement choices to make all throughout the game.

Probably a little more than you wanted to know, but I preferred to err on the side of excess... :P

Are you sure about that Thorondor, because from the pic for sniper on there, it shows 3 different requirements for the level two ability Sharp sence... level 2 sniper, level 2 (eye ball), and level 3 (flag). Is this to mean that you can get this skill with any of thouse, or with only all of them?

Also for medical, the level 1 ability shows 2 different requirements (a bullet) and the medical one.

If you needed all of them, that would make what you said not true, or the ability impossible to get. But if you only needed one, that would be cool.

Hi, ziggy5540, and welcome to Strategy Core ! :P

Sorry about the delayed response, but the boards (I tend to the official Aftershock ones as well) have been pretty hectic with the demo release and all. So, to answer you question:

"Are you sure about that Thorondor, (...)"

Sticking to my guns; yes, I'm pretty sure, as this information was passed on to me by Mr. Martin Klima, Project Lead for UFO:AS. Slight changes may happen in the final version, though.

"(...) from the pic for sniper on there, it shows 3 different requirements for the level two ability Sharp sence... level 2 sniper, level 2 (eye ball), and level 3 (flag)."

Those icons represent to whom that ability is available through training:

- a level 2 Sniper

- a level 2 Scout (eye)

or

- a level 3 Leader (flag)

Following the same reasoning, the Heal Stun ability will be available either to level 1 Medics or level 3 Troopers (bullet icon).

Hope that helped :)

Update:

According to Mr. Petr Kovarik (a.k.a. Pkovak; UFO:AS playtester) soldiers can now reach Master in all three trainings picked for a trooper.

"(...) You will find it very useful as these trainings will deffinitely improve your chances to survive."

Which adds up to a total of 9 possible trips to 'boot camp' instead of the previously stated 6.