As good as Xcom, but still...

Aralez

Some days ago i got the old game "Chaos Gate: Warhammer 40k". It's basically a turn-based game like Xcom with similar functions, nice tactics, better graphics, very balanced, nice campaign, random missions, a great scenario editor etc. etc.

BUT: There are no fansites, mods or forums in the whole WWW for this game. ZERO, NOTHING, NADA! Sure, one can find the patch, a no-cd-crack, some cheats and FAQs, but that's all.

What is it that makes XCOM such a "die-hard" game with huge support and Chaos Gate NOT ?

If you compare this two games from a neutral point-of-view, Chaos Gate can keep up with Xcom easily. Sure there are differences (e.g. no base-management in CG) but generally the games are VERY similar and CG being the newer one (supports Win 9+), it outperforms Xcom graphically and soundwise.

Personally i think the Warhammer 40k theme might be the reason, as most players of the table-top game hate PC's and vice versa.

What do you think?

Promotion? Look at Silent Storm. "Best game that no one played" it was deemed at IGN or something. If people do not know about CG it can be the best game ever. As for the reviews they are fairly good. If I can get this game somewhere I will. Thanks for the tips!

Edit: And regarding promotion, it's worth noticing that SSI published it. They are useless with promotion, just like JoWooD.

Humm, to be honest, I'm not aware of this game so far. Therefore, few comments needs to be posted to give you a criteria before questionning the matching against these two games:

X-com came up in early 90's, and was the very first strategy game to introduce turned based interface, weapon development, alien analysis to discover new tech. And this is only few thngs that makes X-com well supported by all of us. I'm quite shure that there could be better games (in terms of tech, design, ond others), but x-com is a cult. For over 10 years this game maintained its magic and still, gathering newbies to x-com world.

As for the rest, I commonly agree with you, except that most of table top palyers hate PC's. Well, this is my point of view, cuz my folks do like both and I have seen loads of players here that agrees too....No big deal...

Terror.