72 replies to this topic

#41 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:37 AM

i have a mix of all except for bomberman. and ML, rookies have so litle TU that if i put a heavy plas on him, he can only walk 5 paces!

#42 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:44 AM

But, according to the data files, the heavy plasma is just as heavy as the standard X-Com rifle. Your rookies shouldn't be encumbered at all.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#43 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:47 AM

u sure?

#44 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 08:05 AM

I'm positive.

The rifle and the heavy plasma are also the same weight as the laser rifle, the heavy and incendiary rocket and even the psi-amp.  

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#45 bevan

bevan

BACK! This time with less class!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 02:03 PM

well i strap a high explosive or 2 to the crappy rookies chest and give them a laser pistol and make em run at the enemy while the vets stay in the ship mind controlling and the better rookies play sniper
Wearing my Boots of Butt Kicking and knocking on the forum's door

Urban Dead: PM me on the forums! I am Seyan! Hear me roar!

#46 Rattler

Rattler

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 07:51 AM

I weed out the weak. Those that suck at aiming or panic easily or get MCed easily(not sure if panic and MCed fall under the same thing) are cut. End of story.

But if they make it, and if I start liking them then they're one of the guys.
My main squad is tipically made up of the best of the best. All are Captians and up. All have fantastic aim and almost all are have very high psy strength/skill. Every other squad is of lower ranks with 2 people that were just barly cut from the main squad(mainly due to room in skyranger/avenger) lead the squad to make sure everything goes according to plan.

#47 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 10:43 AM

Panicking easily is a function of your bravery stat. The better bravery you have, the less morale drain you have whenever something bad happens to one of your troops. Poor bravery does not mean the soldier has poor psi-strength. If the soldier panicks, the soldier gets a chance to boost the bravery stat by 10 points by the end of the mission. But if the soldier has poor psi-strength, high bravery isn't going to help you against the psionic panic attacks.

As for seiving soldiers: I always say to myself -- poor stats can be trained. Psi strength cannot.  Besides, if your soldier cannot perform something very well, then the soldier may be more suited to a slightly different combat role.

- NKF

#48 BreakMage

BreakMage

This isn't a Sectoid Mind Control Box...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:15 AM

So, I could technically get a Psi-Amp and panic my own units to boost their bravery stat?
-BreakMage

Of all the things I loathe, potatos and Ethereals come to mind first...

#49 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

If you could target your own non-mind-controlled units with the psi-amps, then I guess it's theoretically possible. Otherwise it isn't. You could disarm an ethereal or a sectoid leader/commander and stick it in a room with a few unarmed soldiers and leave them alone for a while. But if their psionic skill just cannot match your psi-strength -- well, your soldier's too good to panic. :tank:

But then again -- if you play well, low bravery stats becomes less of a problem. High ranking officers also help reduce morale loss.

- NKF

#50 Hankosha

Hankosha

Going to buy World of Warcraft soon.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 06:07 PM

simple: rookies get lots of grenades. and only grenades.(walking bomb.)
The Wise man considers himself Foolish, but the Foolish Man considers himself wise. However, the Wise man still knows what the Foolish man does not.

Playing Kingdom of Loathing and X-box.

#51 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

Gutseneintsenboughging all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:27 PM

How humaine.
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#52 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

Heh, I usually do the same, but I call them grenadiers, and arm them with a pistol or laser pistol. While the veterans can shoot a pinhead from across the map accurately, my rookies can turn a farm building inside out. :tank:

- NKF

#53 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:41 PM

You can just feel the love.  :inlove:
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#54 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:41 AM

I treat rookies as one of the crowd. I've played to many games to not know what an NPC is, but I don't sacrifce a troop, as they might be useful later on. Even a weak psi troop is dead useful on an Etheral mission.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#55 ignore my tentacles

ignore my tentacles

Soon Earthlings, Soon...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:06 AM

I'm a strong advocate of the trial by combat approach myself. In the absence of pain sticks, the troops have got to prove their worth through actual battle-craft. I use 'em as Snipers, Medics, Grenadiers and assault troops. All have Personal Armour to begin with, otherwise that would be just plain mean. Promotion to squaddie nets you a Power suit. Sergeant and above wins you the 'Magic Floating Armoured Tank-top'.

Depending on the total no. of troops I'm commiting to an operation, I send 4-6 Rookies, all wearing a white bandanna and sipping from small porcelain  cups of sake. As they leave the landing craft they turn to the C.O. and say "We, who are about to die in a cynical and callous attempt to draw that final sectoid from his lair, salute you." If 75% of the rookies die horribly, but the rest level up- it's worth it in my book.

#56 bevan

bevan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:25 PM

kamikaze troops work, give em a stun rod and a few grenades and send em hunting

#57 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:54 PM

Is it really worth it to do that? I mean that's a pretty expensive way to get rid of enemies.
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#58 bevan

bevan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 11:41 AM

my snipers pick off the rest of the aliens to save the kamikaze. An alien corpse and the artefacts can buy a soldier and the equipment he needs and still save some money

#59 The Demi-Godly One

The Demi-Godly One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:37 AM

What if the soldier gets shot before he reaches the enemy? Then he won't be able to do a kamikaze. I I don't think the kamikaze would work well against mutons, they are just too tough.
3.14. Mmm, pi.

#60 bevan

bevan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:14 AM

yeah, but the fireworks are a lot better than if you just fire them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users