Wtf How Can You Win?

megatyfon

ok ok i need some serious help please

Just finished the russian mission and the biomass atm well left me just with 7 bases 5 of which are due to die within 4 days of game play.

Planters are rare as hell and one pops in the hope that it has that node i shot it down which in turn takes 9 fighters to bring it down. HEH..

Once at last the fighter drops at thanks to some suprime luck not in the sea i send my squad in. Result of the mission total wipe the second the mission starts each time.

My squad atm is using 2 Advance lacers, double bare machinegun, 2 alian maching guns of some sort forgot the name and 1 aline rocket launcher.

Within second the game starts 3 aliens are spotted each time. the distance between me and the alians is well over 70. they shoot my ass of and by the time i kill them i am 3 more show up woth alian rocket launchers, 3 shots and my crew is laying in ufll blood on the ground.......

i did 101 different attampts and the results is always the same. once these rocket laucher guys show up its game over.

Anyone for god sake has any suggestions?

Developing new wepaons well might be way too late cause i finish with almost no bases thanks to the biomass crap

Fear not! Okay, fear some but I'll see if I can help :withstupid: .

So, you seem to be being killed by rocket launchers. The first thing then is to wear light armour (i.e. Sun) and immediately break and spread out. That'll fix the rocket megadeaths, hopefully.

If they can use Psi to control you and you can't Psi them back, you're screwed (IMO). If you can use Psi Projectors (handguns), equip each agent with one in their hand. After you break, the ones not being shot at can control the aliens whilst the rest keep running.

However, I suspect that no one is using Psi to control. In that case you have two options for loadout:

1) The minigun/heavy MG *if* you can carry it without heavy armour (not sure about that). Note that these are not the collapsable heavy weapons, which suck. Don't take it if it slows you down though, as you need to be speedy to get away from the rockets. Also, don't take that alien MG, which is probably the microslug gun. It's too short range and too rapid firing for general outdoors use.

2) The MP7/Sniper combination. Some people will want to mix shotguns, sniper rifles and assault weapons, but why make it difficult? Assuming that the MP7 isn't fixed, you have a high rate of fire over a good distance. No MP7s - use P90s and MP5s. These guns go in the backpack for the moment though. The weapon in the hands is the sniper rifle, AI/Barrett if possible.

With these loadouts, you should have no problems splitting up and plugging away at the enemy. If the enemy starts right on top of you, the close weapon should be the one in your hands at the start.

Anyone who can carry a medkit without affecting speed should, but don't forget to put a couple of extra grenades in your backpack when testing this to allow for the extra unreported armour weight (this may have been fixed in 1.2, so ignore this if it has). Then fill up with spare mags for the MP7, a clip for the rifle and as many grenades as possible. Don't forget to remove those two extra grenades before you leave, otherwise you'll weigh too much.

Anyway, hope this helps. If not, post where it went wrong and someone will help.

btw yes you do need heavy armour to carry the big weaps - u need capacity excellent at least...once I got those heavy wepaons reticulan killing was very easy for me - especcially in ufos...

but i found before i got that sniper rifles were the best - and all that other advice bromley gave about spreading out etc is essential. if some1 gets shot with a rocket, while he runs away your other men can then stand and shoot.

Sniper rifles.

6 guys with rifles.

1 with psi controler thing (and PSI helmet)

All with loads of medi packs.

As soon as you see an alien, all attack.

If you mind control him make him drop his gun and run away from it.

If you don't just keep firing.

A new alien shoud appear about that time.

As alien 1 is not longer a threat, all snipers shoot at new alien.

(if alien 1 is still alive and shooting at you then make oen or two carry on shooting at him, and get the other 4-5 to shoot the new alien)

Doing it this way you can normally elimiate the threat, but you are likely to get some damage caused.

Sometimes it may be minimal, but sometimes - if a rocket gets through - you'll take a load of damage.

Use the mid kits - then drop em to clear some weight.

If an alied does fire a rocket - pause.

Cancel all your orders and make all your team seperate - except one of them.

(S)he should stand there and shoot at the rocket launcher alien.

Remember, you can see what weapon each alien has.

6 sniper rifles can often kill an alien before he has time to fire a shot, so as soon as you see a rocket launcher alien concentrate all fire on him - you can come back to the lazer guns later.

megatyfon "Planters are rare as hell and one pops in the hope that it has that node i shot it down which in turn takes 9 fighters to bring it down. HEH.."

I can't believe how many times I've seen people posting about not having the Biomass Node Material (from Planters) late in the game. I'm on my 3rd restart (damned patches!) and have always managed to shoot one down within the first couple of months with no more than two intercepts.

Tip: Try to time your UFO intercepts so they occur during daylight (you can tell by the movie). I've noticed that if your fighters launch during daylight hours then the intercept movie will be the daylight one even if the actual intercept occurs at night.

A bit odd I know but UFO AM is still buggy as hell even after 2 patches. Has anyone else noticed this?

hehe. Okay, so Bazzo was wrong. My uncertainty occurred because I always had 2 Heavy Armour (or EHA) in my squad during the I'll-try-this-collapsable-weapon-just-one-more-time phase. When I got the user-friendly heavy weapons, I just never gave the minigun/2xMG to anybody else. I had noticed that you could put them in your backpack, so I thought that they might be different.

@Rob88. (1) Do you find Psi Helmets do anything? I gave up on them fairly quickly, but that was more in disgust over their apparent lack of MC prevention. (2) If you have them, everyone should have a Psi Projector (if they're any good at Psi, of course :blink: ). They make the game (at least the 1.1a game) ridiculously easy.

Try this one!!

just attempted the mission to nick the retribution ufo.

As SOON as i start the mission, i counted 9 aliens , 3 behind me holding psi and microslugs, 2 far away instantly firing rockets at my team, and and the other 4 dotted round randomly firing plasma and psi attacks.

ive tried upteen amounts of combos, snipers= dead in 2 or 3 seconds, psi attacks, dandy, problem is theirs 7 others to control once my 2 psi blokes have got 2 of em = dead in bout 5 or 6 secs, tried heavy armour and collapseble mg = dead before i can even set it up!!

and theirs no point runing from the rockets , cos the others just take me down whilst im running.

its taken a couple of weeks, but the game is really starting to become tediously boring now :blink:

I've been running a couple of test missions on this for bout a week now an best way i found for myself is to only take 3 troopers with fast run speed an MP7's then fire an move. I managed to get all 3 inside but only killed 3 aliens. Problem been is this took me 7 attempts to get that far so maybe a better tactic is needed :blink:

Hi there,

I'm soo stuck in the Retribution mission. As soon as I start in it I see an alien with a collapsable plasma gun, with THREE, yes THREE rocket launching aliens around him. That's the lower spot in the beginning of the mission.

The same second three aliens with psi projectors fire at my men. Then from afar another rocket come swinging in from a total different angle.

The next second I discover 2 more collapsable plasma guns from two different angles and another psi projector.

At that same moment about three or four warp gunnin' aliens are scattered around the map.

---

Now the difficulty must be on normal because I didn't touch that when I started a new game.

I have about 40 bases now and the biomass pretty much under control. I figure I can manufactor all the collapsable weapons, plus I have a collapsable plasma gun from scavanging a ufo.

Now WHAT THE HELL is this about huh. I mean seriously, I tried a hundred different tactics but all my men die in the first 6 seconds.

Teamconfigs I tried:

- 3 psi's, plasma rifle and some collapsable weapons

- 4 psi's, collapsable only

- 3 & 4 psi's and rifles, launchers

- launchers only to knock out the two collapsable plasma aliens out (two rockets per each alien each don't seem enough to kill it)

- starting with smokegrenades all around to cover sight to most of the aliens

- psi's only

- and everything between those settings

Now when I fire rockets right in the beginning, even when I don't see them yet (start at mission), I get two rockets and 3 psi's on my roof even before my rockets reach their targets. Same witht the smoke grenade.

The psi's aren't fast enough in the beginning because some of the aliens shoot before I can see them, this because other aliens function as 'eyes' for the aliens too far too see me, but have enough weaponrange.

Even if I succeed in getting the most important damage inflictors, even then I can never survive the next round of rockets flying around, let alone the remaining 2 collapsable plasma guns that are out of my site, but appear when they're already shooting.

:blink:

Anyone?? - Worm

hehe, 4 days ago I began with russian mission, still no lucky!. even I tried every weapons!!( i've very much big arsenal weapons!) every time I start then aliens already fired 3 rockets to my team at one time! :blink: even no chance to start fair. but 2 times ( all players've laser rifles ) I won, but lost whole team except only 1 player! then I go to in the base, but he die after a few minutes after meeting with aliens again. :S. better have more then 4 players go attack in the base.

I tried to cheat but don't work cause no console keys!! i tried every keys ;)

i'm very unlucky boy, now I go try again.

Well, I certainly see no way out on this one and I've done quite some complex ufo and base missions so far. I mean, collapsable... ok, psi's... ok, rocket launcher... OK. But all of them together ajoined by some warps... that's just too much.

Even when they're running in a superdave suit, healed by warpmeds I can't make it passed the collapsable plasma guns alife.

Even before halfway they get their heads shot off, or lose their legs. They can't run without their legs can they. Not to mention when they lost both their head and legs.

I'm about to delete the whole game from my disk right now... Mmh, maybe I played it too much. I heard something about a godmode though... sure feel tempted...

I just wonder what kind of armor you people are using... I have my entire team on Sky Armor at the moment, the only really dangerous thing the Reticulans have against me are some versions of rockets, not all.

But they haven't switched to Warp Weapons yet. Is that it? I noticed the stats for Warp weapons are better in V1.2...

I need to do some base defense or alien base capture missions right now so I can get my hands on Bio Armor. Oh and gotta get that node. The slimy biomass is all over South America. I own North America, Europe, Africa, both Poles, half of Asia at the moment. :blink:

tyty03, try the mix of snipers, MP7 and assault rifles the guys here have been suggesting. Draw the aliens out and ambush 'em. Concentrated fire with hard damage works wonders. :blink:

Oh yeah, as most of the guys here have already said, don't forget to pack some shotguns for the internal portion of the mission.

I just wonder what kind of armor you people are using... I have my entire team on Sky Armor at the moment, the only really dangerous thing the Reticulans have against me are some versions of rockets, not all.

But they haven't switched to Warp Weapons yet. Is that it? I noticed the stats for Warp weapons are better in V1.2...

my entire team is equipped in bio armour, yet it makes no diff, your squad doesnt even have to move an inch, right form the start anything up to 9 rets are aimin at ya with a combination of rockets, collapsable plasmas, micrslugs and warp weapons.

i fail to see a way past it

Just a quick note about heavy weapons....

This may have been fixed in the patch i dunno yet, but if you want your guys to use the heavy weapons with normal armour all you hve to do is put your soldier in heavy armour give them the heavy weapon (Gatling gun, dbl machine gun etc.) then take off their armour. That's it they can wear whatever armour you want for that all important speed boost, but like i said that may be fixed in the patch.

It was fixed in the patch, unfortunately.

But at least the Enhanced Heavy armor now seems to weigh 20kg instead of 40kg in the tactical game.

The patch made the game harder by making MP-7 more feeble. The Reticulans in Bio Armor are damn hard to kill. Their rockets are still too much. Had a defend base mission the other day, 8-10 aliens coming at me down a long corridor, some in Sky armor, some in Bio armor, using Warp, Laser, Rocket, Psi weapons. I only had Sky armor and Enhanced Heavy armor with good Human weapons in my arsenal, except for good sniper rifles.

Tried all sort of tactics, pinning them and using the flamethrower, using grenades, combos of that with MP-7s, planting 4x snipers at the end of the long corridor, etc.

I always kill about half of them, but then my crew starts dying one by one. Sigh.