21 replies to this topic

#1 Ego Terrorist

Ego Terrorist

Leader of the "We love Tammy" Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 01:36 PM

Does anybody know if there will be any way to modd the game, eg create new weapons, create new characters, mod the whole game??

Beacuse if we can, and if they're easy to install that would be great! Anyway ph33r for the Ego has arrived!
Dammit I just misspelled on my christmas present list...now I've asked satan for an inflatable Buffy.

Leader of the "We love Tammy club!"

#2 The Doctor

The Doctor

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 03:16 PM

On the other A.M. forum (you know which), EVAN (one of the developers) just opened a topic about modding. He asked about who is interested...

Who is not?

#3 Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 05:42 PM

Good lord, of course modding would be good.  Just look at JA2, company who released the game has gone under, but the game is still alive and new versions of it are being released.  Crazy

Hurlshot

#4 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 06:32 PM

I personally don't think it's too likely for modding to be released. At least not for a long time anyway.
The reason modding was released on the original XCom games of this type was that they were too old and lacked variation after a certain point. XComutil wasn't even an official program but almost everyone who owns one of the games has a copy.
I would think that if this game is really as good as it looks like it will be then there will be no need for modding for a long time...
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#5 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 06:35 PM

I dunno though Veteran... don;t you think it would be cool to be able to change the graphics slightly here and there, change the research tree, change the story a little and call it "UFO: Enemy Unknown - Part 2" :laugh:

I'm sure there's people out there who would kill for that kind of modding ability :P
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#6 The Doctor

The Doctor

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 11:08 AM

Remember, it's only single player (at this moment), so when you finish the game for the first time, some people would think," I do not want to start it over, but
let's download some missions"

In this case, we can play a lot more UFO than with the raw game!

For a good example, look for Neverwinter nights. They are selling the game with the SDK, because they have "forseen" the need and the popularity of the
"house made" missions.

I tell you, the net will be full of NVN missions.

#7 Ego Terrorist

Ego Terrorist

Leader of the "We love Tammy" Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 07:30 PM

Another good example is SWAT3, it has shed loads of mods, ranging from different ingame missions to totally new missions, new weapons to new skins, In my opinion any game worth it''s two pence needs an ability to mod the game, I'm talking from total conversions to a new gun or mission! The only downside is downloading mods!!
Dammit I just misspelled on my christmas present list...now I've asked satan for an inflatable Buffy.

Leader of the "We love Tammy club!"

#8 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 07:41 PM

And the upside is that I'd be more than willing to host any mods here in a special downloads section I'll be putting up when the game is out (or even when the demo is out :laugh: ).
May your terror missions always be infested with Chrysalids.

#9 evan

evan

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 04:21 PM

Like I said in the other forums, we're trying to keep an ear open to the community in terms for modification at this point.  If it comes to pass, it likely won't really be anything like the tools for NWN, but would more likely be a few homebrew tools and a some exporters, and a lot of documentation (hopefully).  I, for one, am all for modding of the game, and I hope that it happens. However, I'm not on that team, so I don't really have much say about what happens in that regard.  We really want to support the community, so the more we hear about this, the more likely it is to actually happen.

Evan

#10 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 07:04 PM

What would be nice (besides Enemy Unknown part 2! ) is some smaller sub campaigns. Maybe they could play into the main storyline maybe not. They'd most likely be home made things if mods came out but it would be nice to be able to take out say a huge alien colony on earth as just one massive campaign. It wouldn't be part of the game but it could be a part of the game... If you follow.
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#11 Matryx

Matryx

Evil Genius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:02 PM

Firstly, I suggest moving this post to the Tech Talk forum :P It is, after all, mostly about the technical capabilities of the game.

Next I'd like to move on to modding capabilities, more in line with the topic of the thread.

One word springs to mind when modding is mentioned (at least over such a game)
Scripting.

Scripting support has existed in a variety of games in various forms (whether it be QuakeC, UScript, Skrit or other) and is a very powerful tool for modders.
Usually it exists in some sort of pseudo-code language or an actual code language such as C++.

All I can say is that I hope we have a scripting language with which to mod :P
Using such a language we should be able to handle almost anything our imaginations can design :laugh:

An SDK is all well and good, but usually they are more limited that scripting languages, although on the other hand scripting languages take more processing to interpret during game-time.

Still, either would be good. ;)
I think I just had an evilgasm....

#12 Bimbo

Bimbo

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 08:14 PM

I think it does not matter wether they give us the SDK or just some scripts and editors, as long as they give us something to start :laugh: (hacking JA2 was more fun than modding it to me).
If we get the SDK modding would be complicated, cause I do not think that they would make their tools more userfrendly (its simply to expensive). That would result in some high quality modds.
If we get special "user frendly but impotent" "modding tools" we would see many different mods, since it would be so easy to create them. And with high properpility there would be some very good mods as well...

So, as log as we get something to work with there will be a fan-future of this game.

Bimbo

#13 Matryx

Matryx

Evil Genius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 09:56 PM

Ahhh, what I would give for a well documented scripting language to play with.
Don't know about you guys but I prefer hard coding in your favourite text-editor™ than using some point-n-click jobby.
I think I just had an evilgasm....

#14 evan

evan

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2002 - 09:52 AM

I don't know about the in mission scripting language, as things actually happening to the players in our generated (or even pre-designed) missions don't really need that kind of interaction.  As far as I recall, most of the story will be conveyed through the research tree and the briefings for the pre-designed missions.  As usual, don't quote me on that, I'd need to ask Martin.  I don't think that it would be impossible, but I also don't see the pressing need for it with our game structure.  It seems pretty likely that your storytelling ability will be limited in the same way, without any in-combat dialog.  I'll ask Martin more about this and get you all some more information about it later.

Evan
ALTAR interactive

#15 Bimbo

Bimbo

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 12:18 PM

Yea it would be absolutly great to hear something specivic!

As for the scripting language: I don't know wether we need one when you at Altar didn't need it... :laugh:

Bimbo

#16 LongTooth

LongTooth

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:18 PM

I realy hope that we will be able to mod the game
Not just scripting but things like adding maps,aliens,weapons would be a big plus for me
The abbility to mod a game increases it life(imho)

#17 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:02 AM

So do I LongTooth. And welcome to the boards!

#18 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:37 PM

I too hope we can mod the game.  :laugh:

I'd love to see a UFO:Enemy Unknown 2 mod for it... but what about the copyright issues?   :P  
People were asked to stop making a wolfenstien mod for quake2 (or was it half-life?) becuase of copyright issues... (and the fact there was Return to Castle Wolfenstien in the works at the time.)   :P
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#19 Kernel

Kernel

Her Majesty's Imperial Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:38 PM

Well I guess my last comment killed this thread off didn't it.  ???

Seems to happen a lot with me on forums...  :laugh:
Kernel the thread killer is here.  :devil:
"Any rumors of a military coup by the Imperial Guard are greatly exaggerated."

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....
-- Carl Zwanzig

#20 Slaughter

Slaughter

Colonel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:03 PM

Yes, you're quite a killer of all that's fun Kernel! Shame on you! :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users