Elite: Dangerous

Space Voyager

Just a fun story... Yesterday I was reminded of the difference between being the aggressor and being a victim of aggression. Usually I play in open mode but PvE, where mostly you choose your battles. But then I was pulled out of supercruise and attacked immediately, no talking involved. Luckily my anaconda is pretty heavily shielded and armoured as I was using it to fight Thargoids, but my armament is very PvE oriented. I was completely surprised and never really gathered my wits.

Didn't remember to deploy the fighter I was carrying and didn't remember to replenish my shields when they got low. At least I started manoeuvring from the start as I would not get away if the opponent's rounds all connected. I managed to dodge a few salvos of plasma accelerators which would more or less pulverize my ship. Finally I managed to jump to another system and shake him off.

Damn, quite a nerve wrecking experience. But if these are as far apart as they are, I'd rather play in open than single player.

The only thing that bothers me is that I was so bewildered by the event instead of acting up. Considering that the opponent was left with half his shields I may have actually stood a chance, dammit!

The infrequency of certain things makes it harder to respond adequately to them (pretty much in the inverse proportion of their probability).

I imagine that's a big part of the reason astronauts undergo the most diverse range of training tests possible.

Despite the surprise effect, you at least managed to extricate yourself from the situation, and without having your ship disintegrated in the process.

Under the cirscumstances, would it be better to attemp a face-off with the attacker? I doubt it. It would likely cost you your ship, and the frustration with the incident would be much increased.

In the end, you lived to fly another day, SV. Next time you'll certainly be able to escape sustaining less damage and more relaxedly. Or, conversely, arm up and add greater offensive power to complement your defenses - make the assailant pay!

BZH7Yae.png

Distant Worlds II will be a journey to the far outer rim and back, with the outbound journey culminating at Beagle Point. We also plan to organize the return trip, and this will be a more indirect route home taking participants through some seldom travelled regions in an attempt to retrace the USS Voyager's journey home from the delta quadrant.

::

Fleet roster registration for this expedition now open. Learn more here.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrQ0PDtZjo

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One is the first update of Elite Dangerous' third season, following the Thargoids devastating assault on humanity's starports.

Beyond advances the ongoing player-driven narrative and introduces a variety of gameplay enhancements, upgrading the gameplay experience whether players prefer to trade, fight or explore in Elite Dangerous' massively multiplayer galaxy. Chapter One features a range of game-improving updates, including changes to the engineering mechanics, the introduction of GalNet Audio, an overhaul of mission rewards, and an altered crime and punishment system. The update will also allow Elite Dangerous: Horizons commanders to fly a new Alliance warship: the Chieftain.

To become available for free for owners of the game on the 27th of February.

As the Thargoids continue to encroach on the core systems, the galaxy's brightest minds search for new ways to level the playing field.

Some believe the key to victory could lie with the Guardians.

Recent discoveries have prompted the galaxy's foremost Guardian expert, Ram Tah, to reach out to the Pilots Federation for assistance.

Will you accept his mission?

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter One is now out.

But, for you, it's probably worth considering getting something like the Vive Pro one day, SV. Looks like Elite: Dangerous could well finally deliver that "being there" experience of space in VR.

One day. When it the duration between each "Daddy!" yells is longer than an hour. Right now it would be useful after 10PM and I need to sleep, too. And drink beer. https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/beer_girls.gif

ANYway, I dlled the game yesterday but had no time to play. I'm mostly interested in guardian stuff and in new planet generation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incredible feat. Especially to do it in a month. I needed three weeks to get to Sagittarius A* and this guy travelled like ten times that distance.

That said, may so called "explorers" in Elite do their exploring by only revealing the stars they jump to, no scanning of bodies (so called honk and jump routine) and this way you can travel far and fast. I can't help myself not to stop and take a closer look at the interesting planets and moons with great views. This takes much, much longer.

• 4 weeks later...

The third Elite Dangerous season continues with the release of its second chapter, featuring new ships, new Thargoid encounters and additional gameplay content. Chapter Three and Chapter Four will launch later this year.

Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Two will be available for free on the 28th of June.

• 4 weeks later...

The third Elite Dangerous season continues with the release of its second chapter, featuring new ships, new Thargoid encounters and additional gameplay content. Chapter Three and Chapter Four will launch later this year. The Beyond season of game updates is FREE for all Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous: Horizons players.

I already have the Krait, very cool ship! The ship launched fighter helps a lot when fighting Thargoid interceptors and the view is almost as good as in an ASP Explorer, also I was able to use most Python's parts to avoid all-ship-engineering. Very manoeuvrable, pretty fast ship with a punch. If anyone is into Elite, it is as if someone merged the Python and Fer-de-Lance and added great view and SLF.

Which means it will be nerfed soon. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Science my arse, travelling anywhere takes far too much time! It is not possible that you need almost a minute just to jump from one star to another... :D

But seriously, ED is a huge timesink. I love the game but this aspect really could be better.

I'm trying to kick myself to take a break and create a photobook. Five years is too much for one book and we're there already. But if I make a pledge to not play any games (or at least ED) until it is made, you'll see me in my most productive self EVER. It would be best to take a long break, until Q4, when a major update for mining and exploration is announced.

• 3 weeks later...

With each passing day, humanity learns more about the Guardians, and the discovery of Guardian beacons has unearthed yet more data. Using this information, Guardian expert Ram Tah has succeeded in combining human and Guardian technology, resulting in three revolutionary new fighters: the XG7 Trident, the GX8 Javelin and the XG9 Lance. Their armaments and Guardian-inspired design will make them effective against both human and Thargoid targets. Commanders are encouraged to seek out the Guardian beacons, gather fresh data, and contribute to the production of these new fighters.

Elite Dangerous' next content update, Beyond's chapter three, will go live on the 28th of August.