X-Com on XP?

Red Wizard

Well, close.

Load up your command prompt.

Then run the slowdown utility on another instance of the command prompt instead of running it on the game as you normally would. Then launch your game.

Mind you, only do this if your slowdown utility won't work on .bat files like the non commercial versions of Moslo. If you can find another one that can work on batch files, well, all the better.

I only skimmed the tail of this thread, so I'm not entirely sure if this'll solve your problem. If the game itself won't start, then this probably won't be of much help.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If ya'll are still having trouble with fodder's fix, read this, an excerpt from my site's bug faq:

X-COM Bug FAQ

5 January 2003

micahdg@xcomufo.com

www.xcomufo.com

UFO Defense Collector's Edition

---Garbled video error while running under WinXP/ME/NT/2000

Short explanation:

You must use the Collector's Edition (CE) of UFO Defense in order to play the game in WinXP/ME/NT/2000. Place these files: xcom1fix.exe and musfix.dll in the main UFO Defense directory and run xcom1fix.exe to start the game.

Long Explanation:

Only the Collector's Edition (CE) of UFO Defense will work properly under Windows XP/2000/ME/NT (WinXP) Even with the Collector's Edition, most people will still have video problems when they try to run the game. For others, the music or sound will not come out right. This is because of the DirectDraw and DirectSound drivers the CE uses to create compatibility with WinXP. Unfortunately, the programmers did not get it quite right, hence the "garbled" video error when the game tries to initialize DirectDraw on the latest OSes. You can bypass this problem by running dxdiag.exe and disabling DirectDraw manually, but this is tedious and doesn't fix all of the problems. There is a file that actually fixes the conflict caused by DirectDraw by correcting the pitch that the game is sent to the video card with, in addition to fixing the sound/click delays in the game. It was written by a feller xcommer who goes by the name of F0dder. The file for UFO Defense is called xcom1fix.exe (or ldr_xcom1.exe) Run the fix file instead of "UFO Defense" to start the game.

---"Couldn't CreateProcess" error with xcom1fix.exe or ldr_xcom1.exe

This error originates with f0dder's fix (ldr_xcom1.exe or xcom1fix.exe) in which the fix can not find the UFO Defense.exe executable. The most common solution for this is to make sure that the UFO Defense executable file is named "UFO Defense" with an .exe extension (making it an application). Also, make sure that the fix (xcom2fix.exe or ldr_xcom2.exe) is in the same directory as the game. If that does not work, consider re-installing the game again.

• 2 months later...

Hehe, so much trouble for so little ;). The solution you mention works Spider. But there's another way too. Many programs need a argument. That means that when you start it, you have to supply some extra information. So let's assume the executable for UFO is called UFO.EXE. To run the game with that filename you run this command (through a shortcut, or a .bat file): ldr_XCOM1.exe UFO.EXE

But as you say, you made it work, so I guess this comes a bit too late :D

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
I got Windows XP not long ago, so I feel your pain mate. I won't even bother telling you to switch the compatibility mode to Windows 95, as this doesn't work for anything, at least what I have tried.

I haven't had time to try this method, but it should work. When you use this method, I'm assuming you have a fast processor and plenty of ram.

1. Install Virtual PC on your computer. I've heard that you can find registration details on the net, but I am not abdicating this.

2. Install Windows 95/98 on your "virtual" drive.

3. While running XP, run Virtual PC and run Windows 95/98. Then run X-COM.

4. If you're using one of the early X-COM's then you will have to install a processor slowdown utility such as moslow. For slowdown utilities try

here.

Hope this works  ;)