63 replies to this topic

#1 Red Wizard

Red Wizard

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 11:46 PM

I'm sure this question has been asked more times than charges have been spent on Heavy Plasmas, but how does one get X-Com to run on Windows XP? Try as I may, the best I can do is get it to run until I choose a base location. That's when it crashes me :( If possible, I also need help with the SFX. If you need specs on my computer, I can post those, also.

#2 tasothmiester

tasothmiester

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 10:44 AM

You need to get windows 95 running system and download it onto your computer then when you get to active desktop resart the computer in windows 95

#3 ooda

ooda

ufoaftermath.co.uk guy

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:04 PM

I got Windows XP not long ago, so I feel your pain mate. I won't even bother telling you to switch the compatibility mode to Windows 95, as this doesn't work for anything, at least what I have tried.

I haven't had time to try this method, but it should work. When you use this method, I'm assuming you have a fast processor and plenty of ram.

1. Install Virtual PC on your computer. I've heard that you can find registration details on the net, but I am not abdicating this.

2. Install Windows 95/98 on your "virtual" drive.

3. While running XP, run Virtual PC and run Windows 95/98. Then run X-COM.

4. If you're using one of the early X-COM's then you will have to install a processor slowdown utility such as moslow. For slowdown utilities try
here.

Hope this works  :D

#4 crispy

crispy

Breakfast Cereal Champion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:42 PM

when I upgraded from ME to XP, the only problem I had was that the scroll was too fast.  If i moved the mouse even just a fraction, the screen scrolled uncontrollably, making it very hard to see where I was going.  Anybody have suggestions for what I can do?

#5 ooda

ooda

ufoaftermath.co.uk guy

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 03:02 PM

Crispy, what you need is a processor slowdown utility. Try step 4.

#6 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:47 PM

Are there any side effects to using a slowdown utility (read: will this screw up my PC? lol  :D )

Also, awhile back I DL'd the Fodder Patch that was supposed to fix the screen problem without needing to fiddle with the directX accellerator.  However, I wasn't quite sure how to use it.  I read the read-me on the Fodder Patch site, but I'm still a little confused.  Has anybody used it?

By the way:

http://f0dder.has.it/

#7 ooda

ooda

ufoaftermath.co.uk guy

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 08:19 AM

I've used the slowdown utilities, and so have others, and the don't cause any harmful side-effects. I used it on Windows 98 SE and it worked. I'm assuming it will also work on Windows Me.

#8 Closey

Closey

Blue plastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 08:57 AM

crispy, on Sep 4 2002, 12:47 AM, said:

Also, awhile back I DL'd the Fodder Patch that was supposed to fix the screen problem without needing to fiddle with the directX accellerator.  However, I wasn't quite sure how to use it.  I read the read-me on the Fodder Patch site, but I'm still a little confused.  Has anybody used it?
Yeah, I use it. And it works like a charm. :D

It fixes the graphic bug (that makes you have to fiddle with DirectX) and it fixes the speed issue as well. At least for everything but moving sprites (such as smoke, alien entertainment and so on)

All you have to do is copy the two files located in the ufo1 or ufo2 folder and copy them to either your ufo or your tftd folder. Then the next time you start the game you use the ldr_XCOM1.exe or ldr_XCOM2.exe to start the game. Just make sure you get the loader file and the musfix.dll in the game folder and it should work.

Hope that helped. ;)

#9 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, Closey!   :D   That really helped.  I found out what I was doing wrong.  I was trying to use the original exe file that I downloaded instead of the one I copied to the x-com folder.  When the first one didn't work, I tried the one in the x-com folder (in program files) and everything worked great!  The graphics are good, and the speed is perfect.  If there's a downside, it's that the menus are a little too narrow for my screen, but HEY I'm not complaining.  Better too narrow than too big.  Thanks for the help

NOTE to other XP users, the Fodder Patch works!

#10 Closey

Closey

Blue plastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 03:51 PM

Glad to be of assistance. :D

The menus being too narrow? That doesn't happen when I run it. What menues? You're not able to adjust your monitor's wideness or height for that?

#11 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 12:01 AM

I could, but I'm too lazy.  Everything runs fine, but running X-Com, the x-com game screen has a slightly wider margin on the right than it would normally have (however it's not really noticeable, so I'm not inspired to do much of anything about it). :D

#12 Flash McKrakken

Flash McKrakken

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 08:18 AM

I ran the moslo utility, and the fodder patch. The patch worked great, fixed the graphics, but it was to fast, tried moslo...It didn't seem to work. No matter how low i try to go, It keeps going the same speed. I do'nt get it...

--- For F.A.M.! ---

#13 Flash McKrakken

Flash McKrakken

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2002 - 11:59 PM

By the way, it's a 700mhz machine...is that just too fast?

#14 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 01:19 AM

I'm using just the Fodder patch.  I have a 1ghz machine (Win xp).  Before the fodder patch, the game (especially scrolling) was much too fast.  Now, if anything, it's a little slow (which is okay, because it reminds me of the original game).

So, having a 700mhz machine shouldn't be a problem.  It's interesting how these utilities work differently on different machines.

#15 Closey

Closey

Blue plastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 07:28 AM

Flash: That's odd.. I've got a 1.4 GHz and I have no speed issues what so ever any more. Are you using the Collector's edition of UFO? Because that's what the patch is for.

But then again, I suppose it wouldn't fix anything if it was the dos version. Haven't tried it tho.

#16 Flash McKrakken

Flash McKrakken

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:07 AM

I don';t know if it's collectors, probably not, since i d/l'd the game off of some french site...though the games not in french. Maybe cuz it's the dos version...although fodder did fix my video problem. The game Scrolls and runs way to fast on the world screen, but battles are okay since i just told it to scroll, move, fire slow. And I get random crashes to desktop...or prompt...whatever...

#17 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:42 PM

I tell you what, why not buy a real version of the game.  Collector's Edition is pretty cheap (my brother bought it for me for nine bucks, u.s.).  

btw, this is just some friendly advice, but you might want to avoid mentioning warez and dl's here as that can cause ... a negative reaction.

#18 Flash McKrakken

Flash McKrakken

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:34 PM

uh...It's not warez...It's technically abandonware. And the collectors edition is not only hard to find (in Colorado at least) but sells for like $75 on ebay. :D

#19 crispy

crispy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 02:28 AM

http://www.chipsbits...s/XCOMC.IR.html

if you hurry, you can still buy it.

Btw, if it's still for sale, is it abandonware?

Also:
http://dmoz.org/Comp...onware/faq.html
http://www.mobygames...icle/feature=7/
http://internettrash...sers/corn_am_i/
http://www.ensignsup...webring/faq.htm
http://brasslantern....nies/warez.html

And these are just the first five sites on my search.  As you can see, even people who distribute abandonware will tell you that it's illegal.

Also:
http://www.x-com.co.uk
Read the part about x-com rights.  As you can see, somebody still owns the rights, and wants to maintain them.  Therefore, it's not abandonware, anyway.  Get out and buy a legal copy already.

#20 Red Wizard

Red Wizard

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2002 - 04:35 AM

I've just installed X-Com collector's edition on my computer, and it's seems to work just fine for the most part. The graphics are fine, and the speed is where it should be, the only problem is that it appears that the game has about 20 or so pixels extra on the top and bottom. If I make it so I can see the full top of the screen (shifting the screen down), it cuts off the bottom 40 or so pixels. >:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users