All right, I've managed to figure out how to use binoculars in the game. They used to be just a model in the game (part of the German Scout uniform). Now they are an RPG item that increases one's sight distance.
Check this out:
without them equipped.
and after equipping them.
Lt.Havoc, on 14 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:
Great work on those US Soldiers, just too bad that they are NPC´s only. Well at least we have nice NPC models now for the mod. The Hazard suit looks very interesting, do you alredy have a use for it in mind? I am just wondering what we could use it for. One idea would be to have a mission set around some research lab and have the NPC guards wear them or something. At least it gives me some ideas. Also what do you want to add/change on the Soviet Camo Uniforms? Did you forget something?
Actually I could add those Great Coats as uniforms for the player to use (either with helmets or with gas masks, but not with both).
The lab is a good idea.
I've also been looking for ways to identify the uniforms the units are wearing so that I can create scripts for the following situations:
1. certain hazardous areas (radioactive, chemical or biological contamination zones) would require the player units to wear specific outfits in order not to take damage or die.
2. to be able to fool the enemy into remaining neutral by wearing friendly to them uniforms (in areas where the AI player would otherwise be hostile by default.) In H&S they implemented that sort of check through function UnitGetUniform(unit) but according to Novik it is not possible in S^3. I am still hopeful to find a way to do it - as it would add a whole new RPG layer to the campaign.
As for the TTsMKK and the Leaf Camo - I am just thinking of refining them a bit here and there before importing. (better bumps and gloss textures, that's all. Well, maybe adding better shading. Nothing special - nitpicking as usual.
Hmm, also thinking about it, I was wondering if we might need some more desert themed uniforms, like these here:
Just an idea, I just thought they looked cool and all.
I agree. There aren't any desert specific uniforms, aside from a few terror ones. Which models and what textures should I try? I am thinking German soldier model, maybe. I am not sure about the textures needed . What are your thoughts?
Great to hear. I guess Okim is the only one here on the site that knows his way around the game and knows how to import the models so I guess you have to ask him for help in that regard once again. If he is too busy, I guess we have to find someone else to do it, but the folks I know use 3D Studio Max and Blender. The thing is, if you can figure out how to implement new models, then we could also get free stock models eaisly and put them in the mod if we so wish.
If it does not work out, we have to do it without the models then, thats fine, it just would have been nice to have em, thats all.
It certainly would but I wouldn't concentrate all our efforts on that at this point. There is still a lot of content in the game for us to play with. Besides once we start working on the scenario - we'll have our hands full, I promise.
I meant a complete timeline of events that went down and the points of divergence that made them into an Alternate Universe. I am rather good at setting up really big scenarios and establishing a whole "universe" like that. However, the problem is that this could simply too much info for the player and he gets overwehlmed by it. The issue I just have is to find a middle ground here, basically setting up the whole Alternate Universe thing in the mod, with its ALternative WWII thing as well as having the player find out a lot by himself.
We could of course keep the whole thing vauge and let the player figure it out by bits and pieces throughout the game, but at least have a introduction that says:
"1948. World War II is over. But this was not the WWII you know about, this war was different, fought with Technology that was ahead of its time, mere prototypes in our world where major weapons of war here. Due to strange events, history took a different turn. In 1943 a Organization called Thors Hammer put a plan in motion to take over the world once the war was over, using technology so far advanced, no one knows where it came from. They did not succeed, thanks to a unit of commandos who managed to stop them. Now, in post war Europe, they are back and they are not the only ones, then in the ruins of post war Europe, trouble is brewing that could upset the delicate balance of peace.
You are a Lt., just having been honorably discharged from the army after your long service in the war and you are about to be sucked into events that are bigger then you can imaging.
Welcome to the World of Silent Storm Sentinels *insert fancy mod titel here*."
Or something like that. What do you think? That at least introduces the player to the mod and its setting and leaves stuff vauge and open for the player to find out what is going on.
I am of course always welcome for feedback on that.
Overwhelming? I am already there.
(And I thought only politicians were in the business of rewriting history)
Anyway, good intro. But let's keep it vague.
I would like to keep it toned down in terms of introducing "major weapons" and clues. Silent Storm encounter system is rather claustrophobic - large scale anything would be hard to achieve.
Revealing the story gradually if possible. Perhaps, those "major weapons" should not be mass produced either. Just working prototypes. Would work for an investigation type of plot which I definitely prefer.
I want to try that GI hero now. Will get back to you soon (hopefully with results).
(to be continued)
- BlunterMod v 2.4 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) (5 versions of Splittermuster 45 uniform, unique versions of existing weapons, multiple game play changes, all default REs are scripted now, new lighting, several new scripted REs, HE rounds are temporarily gone - converted to 'surplus' ammo instead, 3 new enemy classes ("Grunt", "Zombie", "PK Operator"), all PKs have been overhauled (stronger, better, faster, auto-destruct) and a Soviet Intel subplot featuring Lt. Colonel Mikhalev from H&S ~ 7 missions) + v 2.3 full (without HE rounds)
- BlunterMod v2.3 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) ---4 more uniforms, 1 new ammo type and a new weapon added, "Castle Linden" random crash fixed, a new area "The Bank" added to the Sentinel base, and various other changes + v 2.2 full (see ReadMe file for more info)
- BlunterMod v 2.2 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 20 new ammo types added (AP, HE, API, JHP), 7 unique weapons added, New RPG money items created, German Soldier Class characterss don't wear goggles + v 2.1 (full but without game-breaking bugs, hopefully)
All Uniforms v 2.1 DO NOT USE (bugged) --- A Wave Defense "Castle" encounter, ammo and weapon name fixes, cheaper surplus uniforms, binoculars fix + v 2.0 (full)
- All Uniforms v 2.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 108 more uniforms + binoculars + v1.0 uniforms and changes (ReadMe for v 2.0)
- All Uniforms v 1.0 ready for testing (MediaFire, rar) --- 78 new uniforms (available from the base seller, prices vary) + various gameplay changes
- Silent Storm on Steam Greenlight has been approved 08/28/13!
- Available for purchase on Steam - "Silent Storm" + "Sentinels" page
My Blogs: H&S blog and just funny book titles I created for my kids( unrelated to Silent Storm).