Random Missile Trajectories

Anyone else getting this? It's the first new bug I've had since starting my Easy game and it never occurred in my normal one at all...

Basically, what this is, is when you fire a missile in one direction and it goes off in a completely different one. It's happened a lot now and I don't understand what causes it. It's possible that this could be how they determine a 'miss' with the rocket as it's only ever got a 90% chance to hit but I think that's highly doubtful as the animation actually shows the soldier firing the missile in the werong direction, probably about 20 degrees off the target...

This has happened with different rocket ammo types, different soldiers, different missions, different maps, everything. It's easily repeatable with a reload and even firing in a (slightly) different direction seems to cause the rocket to end up going a similar way. Has anyone had similar issues here as I'm in a perfect position now to wipe out the last Elite Muton in this level but because I can't use my missile it's not going to be possible to go with my initial plan and I don't like this. It's ok on easy but if this is a problem that happens a lot then it could cost many lives in an ironman game. If I'd been unable to reload after the first time this happened it's guaranteed that I would've lost at least one Colonel for NO reason...

If I'd been unable to reload after the first time this happened it's guaranteed that I would've lost at least one Colonel for NO reason...

"Man up and get back there" :P

I've seen something similar happening, where a soldier fires and he's facing in a completely different direction than the shot.

None of my misfires have been 'completely different directions' thus far; but I've noticed they seem to be designed such that you get zero of your orginal(probable) intended benifit.

Have you guys been aiming /at/ units, or /near/ units? ./curious

I won in the end Hobbes, I actually just reloaded and had someone else fire first THEN used my rocket. Because it confused the random number generator it became a hit and thus confirmed my suspicions :P

I've also encountered the strange sideways firing thing too, shooting out of the barrel of the gun at 90degrees from the direction they're facing! This is only a graphical glitch though so it's not a problem for me!

Sunflash, by different direction I'm not saying behind them or anything, about 20degrees off target I'd say. The real clue though is the fact that the soldier FACES THE WRONG WAY to fire... Again it's not a massive difference but basically, the rockets ALWAYS go the way the soldier is looking so if he is looking the wrong way... Guess where that shot is going :P

When I was trying to figure out the cause of this weirdness I reloaded the autosave a dozen times and tried different target areas that would still guarantee damage on the target (left wall right wall, floor, roof) See when you shoot other weapons at different targets, the RNG will react differently, hence you may fire and miss but if you reload then MOVE before taking the shot you'll receive a differnt number form the RNG and may hit. I thought maybe shooting different targets could also confuse the generator but I guess it just decides 'if next action is a 90% rocket it will miss'! So I shot with another guy first who hit (not sure how the numbers affect different actions as a miss with one weapon may still be a hit with another) then the rocket hit too.

Anyway to answer the final question, it doesn't matter where you aim, I usually place my shots in the centre of a group of enemies which would see it fly straight off the map in the original. In this game though it simply explodes at that present point when it arrives. So shoot wherever you want, it'll either be a perfect hit or miles off!

I've had graphical shooting glitches myself, mainly the soldier facing the opposite way and firing through his back at the enemy. But never this kind of rocket bug. My launcher misses seem to work as intended: the trooper says he missed (the moment he pulls the trigger, so that might be a tiny bug), and the rocket drifts to one side or the other of the target. It generally doesn't miss the center of the intended area, but the drift can cause you to colaterally hit friendlies or the wrong cover.

Something similiar happened to me once. I fired a rocket and the heavy yelled "Missile haywire!" as the rocket missed the target by a couple of tiles. I presume that was not a bug because the missile has 90% chance to hit and it happened more often in the original. It really brought back memories and I'm glad that mechanic still exists, although very rare (once in 3 C/IM playthroughs)

Something similiar happened to me once. I fired a rocket and the heavy yelled "Missile haywire!" as the rocket missed the target by a couple of tiles. I presume that was not a bug because the missile has 90% chance to hit and it happened more often in the original. It really brought back memories and I'm glad that mechanic still exists, although very rare (once in 3 C/IM playthroughs)

I had it twice in a whole playthrough, but I don't use rockets often at all - once sadly was on a Terror site so instead of taking out some Chrysalids I wiped out some civvies standing nearby.

"Friendly fire" and all that :)

Maybe it happens more often to me because I rely on rockets more than others... But anyway, I agree missiles shouldn't have a 100% hit rate. It should just be realistic like in the original, going around or over the target. But noone in their right mind accidentally AIMS the wrong way :P

I'm using 2 heavies per mission (each with every rocket possible for acquiring) and had it happen only once. There's nothing better than shredding 3 mutons. When the haywire missile happened it hit 2 instead of 3 as I aimed in the center so I'm not sure whether the "miss" is free aimed like in original or aimed like panic shots are aimed in this game. I would hope it is free aim but since panic shots don't have that I presume the missed rocket actually targets something which totally sucks and is another point off of the game.

Speaking of friendly fire. I was on a terror mission and 3 Chryssalids came out of fog of war and surrounded the civilian. Along came also a zombie.

It was a tough decision. I fired a shredder rocket on the civilian. Killed him, exploded the cars and all 3 Chryssalids died. Who am I kidding, it wasn't a tough decision, it had to be done!

Yep I had that before, 3 Chryssalids all stood around one as yet unharmed civvie... There's no choice in a situation like that, especially when you know he's going to die anyway! Even worse he's going to become another enemy :P

As for rocket misses, they aren't like the original they actually target somewhere else entirely. That's why when it's a miss the soldier actually faces a slightly different direction than he would've done if it were going to be a hit!

I've actually had this happen to my advantage once. There were 3 Mutons holed up in a building and I couldn't get a clean rocket hit on all three of them because my Heavy wasn't in the best position. I contented myself with blowing up only 2 of them and ordered him to fire.

Had a "Oh crud." moment when I heard "Targeting system must be bugged.", then a "That's XCOM, baby!" moment when said rocket clipped through the wall that prevented a clean shot and blows up all 3 Mutons.