Server load

heniv181

I just thought it was the crappy connection on my phone, but looking at it you're right!

I just looked at the stats, and where we usually get just under 1500 unique visits a day we are on an upward curve at 3228 yesterday.

Earlier this month we were linked to by Penny Arcade for an obscure link to an X-COM merchandise page Zombie built and that spiked to 3993 so we're on our way to that without such one-off links now!

I'll have a look and see if I can bump is up to the next package for a month or so to see if that helps - fortunately we're on fancy hosting so that's a case of flicking a switch more or less ;)

I'll let you know when it's done, but it might be much later this evening.

The server upgrade is in progress - there might be 15 mins of downtime at the end (there was some just now) but it's all automated so should go smoothly smile.png

I forgot to mention the stats above are just for StrategyCore - UFOPaedia's traffic has tripled and shows no signs of slowing!

Could be an expensive month unsure.png

The majority of it is my wallet and Slaughter's wallet along with staff contributions in the past.

We'd sadly not be big enough for a Kickstarter of our own, and I doubt we'd raise $1,000 either (which is pretty much what it costs per year for both sites).

The problem we have is also our strong point - we run no ads and so get no revenue, but no ads is so rare on the internet that we don't want to introduce any. I did have an idea to revive the newsletter and put some ads in that but we'd need content and we barely have enough hands on deck to keep content flowing at present (hey, want to write for us anyone?).

I've seen on other forums where they've set up a VIP member group or something like that and people can subscribe to be in it to get a badge on the forums, but I'm not sure what the interest would be for something like that for $10 a year. Is anyone interested in something like that? We could have more impressive badges for higher subscription levels - that's sort of a Kickstarter-esque thing in itself grin.gif

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

P.S. Is the server speed any better yet? I think the extra CPU and RAM allocations have been made and the disk space is just increasing itself in the background automatically.

I'm plasma-enhanced right now, so I admit it could be dangerous. cool.png

::

Maybe we should just call for...

https://portalnippon.com/images/stories/entretenimento/cinemaetv/2010/06-2010/novo-thundercats.jpg

... the Thundercats!!

jester.gif *gets dragged away in a straight-jacket*

p.s.: the server sure runs sweet right now. :wub:

Thundercats HHoooooo!!!! =D

Yes Pete, the site is much more responsive now.

Personally I'm not interested in badges/privileges based on payment. If there is a problem with the funding, we could just run a drive on the UFOpaedia and site, with a simple PayPal donation (I don't think those cost as much as Kickstarter).