Email XCom being recreated from scratch

Wormfist

Okay, to keep the forum on the enhanced Email Xcom running, here is it copied, with a little correction here an there...

I am creating a new Email XCom, to be a mixed version of the Email version and the Xcom 1, 2, 3 style (though the game will be the Email game, but with added features).

Example1:

Picture an Email XCom map you are curtrently playing. You have this sectoid ready to create his next turn. You move the sectoid out of an ally into the street, spot an enemy soldier, shoot at it once, then move back again. This is done with Endurance points, similar to the stamina points used in XCom1 (making it possible for you to use different actions, instead of making one complete action per turn (Shoot or Move). This is an example of the new movement engine (if wanted, poll is coming up).

Example2:

You have a Sectoid walking into some sort of building and you see a computer-tile (which was placed so by the mapmaker). As you walk towards this computer-tile, you hear the computerhumming-sound stronger and stronger per tile you get there. This is an example of ambient sound engine (if wanted, poll is coming up).

Example3:

A sectoid is nearby an enemy, perhaps some kind of big beast breathing aloud, moaning every now and then. If the sectoid gets very close but cannot see the other unit yet, the sectoid might just hear the enemy breath (moan perhaps even from a longer distance). When you walk around the corner to actually see the monster you hear, it spots you making a spotting sound.

I've been talking with Pete a little bit, but I myself still want to remain anonimous, due copyright situations. Also, Ade appears to be willingly to help.

Regarding features of the map editor: there will be a weapon editor in it (with projectile options), a monster editor, an Ambient sound editor, a Tile editor, and offcourse the map editor. Even a footstep editor will be available, to allow you to make profiles of stepsounds. One step sound is the sound a monster makes when moving over a tile of a Tilemode. For every monster, for every Tilemode, for every Tile, you can asssign a walking sound, making it possible to have a large monster making heavy sounding steps (woodlike on wood for example) and have a human make light sounding steps (graslike on gras for example).

Exactly the same map as used in Email XCom might be made with this mapeditor (i've seen exact copies of it), and the mapmaker may decide to make an old classical Email XCom map, with everything on it that Email XCom had, but no added features of the new Email Xcom game.

Another nice new feature is that the mapeditor allows you to create maps of any size you want. Very small, for a quick hit 'n run game or very VERY large, for a super tournament game (playing with hundreds of units on a map). We're just giving you a picture of the ideas that are processed in it.

I have some polls I would like you to fill in.

- Should there be mulitplayer options?

- Should the game have an A.I.?

- Should it be playable via network?

- Should the soundengine be applied (like in Example1 and Example3)?

- Should the new Endurance engine be applied (like in Example2)?

- Should units be equipable? So you can add some stuff?

- And some other features we need feedback about.

This is all for now. If this looks nice to you, please let us know by this forum and polls will then follow.

Thank you for taking time to read this,

- [Wormfist]

Bastiaan:

Sounds cool, it would be great to play a new emailversion, maybe underwater, like in TFTD.

Alan

its about time someone redid email x-com.

email multiplayer i reckon is the best was for x-com to do multiplayer games, as it gives people time to consider their turns properly, with out keeping the other player waiting as much.

anyway,

the endurance thing, as you've described it below sounds alot like the move & reaction fire option in ex-com, you surrender 1 square of movement, and if your unit sees an enemy it will shoot it.

the ambient noise & footsteps idea is great, if you've played apoc then you'll know what i mean. (you can hear pretty well where & what type the aliens are just from their foot steps/growls if you've got a little experiance).

right, re the question at the bottom:

- most defiantely multiplayer (otherwise peeps could just aswell play ufo/tftd/apoc)

- AI... sounds like a nice idea, play against the computer for practise

- re: network play, not sure, you could try playing warhammer 40K:Chaos Gate via a network to try it out, cause thats like x-com but it has network play implemented.

- sound engine: big tick! yes!

- endurance: needs explaining more, does sound like anthing new at themo, but praps its just not got across to me yet

- equipable units: you'd have to be careful about that cause i could see some players giving fast units big guns & so making uber units, however it would be good. praps have something like is done in LSN on some maps so you can pick your units to a certain points limit. or like in Warhammer 40K (the board game) pick your army with a points limit, gun & troops costing points

- other stuff: if there are going to be hundreds of units on a map at once then for heavens sake make it possible to move them as a squad, having played dune 2 and hit the unit limit it gets a bit tireing giving orders to about 250 units at once all individually.

anyway, im very interested... *wonders who the mystery developer is*

Doug

This all sounds very interesting.

I don't think unlimited units would be an advantage as they games we play with the current version can go on for quite a while.

I would post my full wish list but it is quite long. Let me know by PM if you would like it.

Cheers Doug.

Wormfist

The Endurance main difference with the current movement system is that the player can choose every action, instead of walking and hoping not to bump into an enemy, because you can't go back. Or you see an enemy, but you want to remain on your place without automatically shooting the enemy (because it block something or whatever).

The idea of allowing the units to be uquipped was with an equipment points idea, that are set in the mapcreating procedure in the mapeditor. Basically, the mapcreator thinks of a good number of equipmentpoints, looking at the size of his map, obstacles etc. Just an idea though.

About the Apoc soundsteps... I know exactly what you mean... Great game too.

Multiplayer suggestion, meant as a more-than-two people idea. Having like four teams in a large map, doing some tournament or so.

Moving troops as squads might get tricky to program, as there will have to be a pathfinding AI, to make it make some sense when moving, instead of all units going as a straight line to the point you clicked, we're talking formations too. But I'll keep that idea I think. Just have to wait if it will really be needed. Dune 2, yeah gotit alright , my finger still hurts sometimes

Using unlimited units not being an advantage as Dougs says, would only be so far unlimited as the mapcreator wants it to be. He won't be making maps he knows it won't be played due of too many units->too much time for a game.

Doug, I would like the wishlist right here, because that way everyone can speculate and think about it.

Underwater theme, huh? Well that's just the best part of it. You can making ANY theme thinkable. But, this is also a threat to the XCom theme as a whole (thinking the underwater idea as a subtheme of XCom). Because you can create new, monsters, weapons, soundprofiles, maps and even complete tilesets (containing maptiles, animation sprites etc.), you can create every kind of world one would like. I could imagine a map made of an highland tileset, creating a bunch of Orcs as a player 1 team, a bunch of humans as a player 2 theme, and Email Warcraft has been made for example.

So, anymore ideas, critics and suggestions?

- [Wormfist]

O.K. - you got it !

:(

WISH LIST

The Scenario

Players start with a basic base-ship consisting of an airlock door, living quarters, storage area, bridge and engine room. They must recruit a squad and buy weapons and equipment. This is then registered on the Game server. The players can then choose to defend an area under attack, or attack an area on Earth or Mars. They are then shown their squad and can issue weapons and equipment to each member. The combat then commences and continues until one side dusts off or is totally eliminated. Victory points are then calculated, for enemy killed and captured, and equipment salvaged. The points calculations should give bonus points for inexperienced squads (not players) defeating experienced squads. Victory points can be spent on improving squad member statistics, repairs, new equipment and new areas to the ship. Ranks for players are calculated and displayed on the server roster.

Any planetary area attacked and not defended by opposing forces is taken after 7 days, with victory points awarded.

Playing field should be 4 units high, allowing hills, 3 story buildings and flying units. A map scanner will be needed to examine the battle field.

A new scenario builder should be available.

All equipment must be bought - no random power ups - however exploding objects (e.g. fuel drums) in the playing area is a good idea.

Extra areas on board ship can be built as follows:

Living quarters

Storage areas

Workshops

Laboratory

Combat training areas

Ship weapons

Ship shields

Radar areas

Extra engines

Cloning chambers (to restore squad members, create new aliens)

Prisoner confinement

Interrogation areas

Medical areas

Recreation areas

Squad member should have the following statistics:

Time units

Health

Bravery

Morale

Reactions

Firing Accuracy

Throwing Accuracy

Strength

Hand-to-hand/tentacle skill

PSI Strength

PSI Skill

Human recruits should have a wide range of starting statistics. Graphics should show male and female from Europe, USA, South America, Australia, Africa, and Asia. Martians should have statistics ranges for each race including Sectoids, Floaters, Snakemen, Ethereals Mutons and any others developed.

Weapons

The following should be available:

X-COM

Lasers (pistols, rifles and heavy)

Rocket launchers

Flame throwers

Sniper rifle

Mini Gun.

Alien

Plasma (pistols, rifles and heavy)

Small grenade launcher

Blaster launchers

Heavy Weapons

These large weapon platforms should occupy the area of 4 people:

X-COM

Rocket tank

Laser tank (flying)

Android (similar to Sectopod)

Alien

Cyber disc (flying)

Sectopod

Crysalid

Extra Equipment

The following ammunition and equipment should be available to buy:

High Explosive grenade

Smoke grenade

Stun grenade

Napalm grenade

High Explosive rocket

Smoke rocket

Stun rocket

Napalm rocket

High Explosive mine

Smoke mine

Stun mine

Napalm mine

Medic kit - to restore Health

Adrenaline shot - to give extra time units and energy

Psi Amp - to use psi abilities

Laser sight - for more accurate targeting

Weapon lifter - to suspend Heavy two handed weapons, allowing opportunity fire

Jet Pack - to allow units to fly

Camouflage pack - to allow unit to operate in stealth mode

Man trap - to catch units

Spade - to dig pit traps and foxholes to hide in

Spy satellite - to see where the opposition are

Air strike - call in help from the base ship - BOOM !

Power gloves - for hand to hand combat, must use two hands

Knife - for hand to hand combat, used in one hand

Heavy weapon blades - for hand to hand combat when using a heavy two handed weapon

Stun stick - to render to opposition unconscious.

I hope some of these ideas will be included. Some are old and re-used from UFO Enemy Unknown others are from Worms, Space Crusade and Breach 2.

Best Regards

Doug. Bellamy

Wishlisting,

Okay, from what I understand from the list, is that you actually would like to see a typical Enemy Unknown based game, but in the Email Xcom graphic style plus that the turns are sent by email, am I correct?

Well, the idea for the enhanced Email Xcom at the moment is to have the exact Email Xcom, but enhanced in the sense that it now should conclude a (surround) ambient sound support, weapon editors, unit editors, map editors and the possibility to play with more than two people.

I could create the game more matching your wishes, but I don't want the game to become too alienated from the original Email Xcom, as I fear it will disappoint more people than satisfy (I think).

I've been programming on this piece of software for a few months now, and I'm at a point I can easily intergrate wished features.

So if you want something let me know and I'll sort out the most wanted features and combine them.

Anyone got any idea how to bring this forum under attention with the people that are involved with the current Email Xcom tournaments?

I feel as only a few of the players even know about this forum, let alone the complete project.

Email Xcom wasn't about to be abandoned for the 'Laser Squad Nemesis' was it? If so, I didn't know and I might be doing this in vain at all.

- Wormfist

Well I can certainly pass on the word to the tournament guys, since I run one of them :(

I think what a lot of people will want before they get too interested is some sort of screenshot tho, however obscure, as you can imagine that after so many projects have risen up and then quickly died, people might think twice about pouring too much of their time into another project.

However, I can certainly help :(

Personally, I think it should be an isometric view at some point in the future, but that'd mean redoing all of the graphics and practically rewriting the program, so that can wait :(

And on the question of Laser Squad Nemesis, no, it's a completely different thing. Basically, Hasbro Interactive made E-Mail X-COM a bit before Infogrames bought out Hasbro.

Codo Games started work on LSN to basically make money on their own without having to go to a publisher and get screwed over again like they did with "The Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge".

Screenshot... mmh...

Well, I get the feeling you think too much of it, or rather too differently than my intention was. It really is the old Email Xcom, but with the features I mentioned added to it. As for the tilesets and tiles etc. I used the same as the original, because I lack the know-how of doing textures and stuff (and it should merely be a replacement for the original - if wanted).

Isometric stuff etc is of a totally different game. I am willing to do something like that after what I'm doing now, in teamwork with some people.... if you liked what I've done in the first place.

The best way to picture my version of Email Xcom is to think of yourself playing the Email Xcom as you know it, but now you can hear monsters scream around you, and perhaps you might be able to have different items to use etc.

Please don't think I'm creating a completely different game that would only resemble to Email Xcom in the fact that it uses turns to be emailed.

I was actually going to use the same interface and stuff of the original. But that's just what I mean with 'I just need you to tell me how you want it'.

However, I COULD push this game into a different direction (though isometric would not apply this time, sorry), but to do that, I need votes people... votes.

I think I made the complete project quite clear now and I'll just be waiting now for strong feedback that can tell me what to do with the game. Doug, yours is a start, but I need other people evaluating it, I'm not creating it for my self alone...

- Thanks Pete for doing the word in the tournaments

Untill progression,

[Wormfist]

Hehe, no I like it very much!

After all, the game is to be a game-by-fans-for-fans right? Like a collectors edition.... mmh, maybe I'm going over the top myself now... hehe...

Anyway, I extracted most of the tracks, though I can't reach the tracks left (minors). I actually extracted them from the amigaversion I played waaay back on my old amiga... when sound was far more superior to pc. I extracted it with an amiga-emulator... :inlove:

That's the plan then...

- [Wormfist]

Just wanted to chip in with my wholehearted support for this project! I was a big fan of email x-com, for such a simple game, it was a tactical challenge genuinely.

I`m trying LSN at the mo, but am having major concerns with the game, namely the turns-resolving-simultaneously and the amount of sudden death. Bodies seem to fly into bloody heaps all too easy and its lacking the whole "thought out strategy" part of x-com. But i`ve only played a few games to be fair, and will persist.

But go for it, Proper turn based mayhem...nice!

Thanks for the comments on the wishlist. It is another game, not the current email game as you say.

I do like your ideas for more sound and unit/map editors.

Selecting the squad and equipment for a particular map would be great !

Cheers Doug.

I've written most of the code now, soon gonna send Ade Scotney a sample too. Currently I'm working on the soundengine, which is going to be very versatile.

Doug, "and equipment for a particular map", what do you mean with equipment for a particular map. More like, having a standard equipment, but with varying equipmentpoints based on the map, or really different equipment based on a map?

Tankman, if you get to read this, I have a question for you I would like to ask.

- [Wormfist]

Doug, "and equipment for a particular map", what do you mean with equipment for a particular map. More like, having a standard equipment, but with varying equipmentpoints based on the map, or really different equipment based on a map?

- [Wormfist]

The current system where you, pick the map you want, play turn No. 1 with the default set up created by the map is good. But I was wondering if it would be possible for you to allow both players to alter the type and number of units and issue pick-ups to units during turns No. 1 and No. 2

Cheers Doug.

I dunno tho Doug, I'd blatantly enter the map with six rocket launchers with max steroids on that way.

Whose idea were the steroids anyway? That bloomin' Ade promoting performance enhancing substances?! :( (J/K by the way)

Wow! You've almost finished the code already! That sounds cool :( Can;t wait to have a play!

If it helps you. I've got the collector's edition of X-COM and TFTD, and the music was redone in midi format for that, so you can have all the tracks off them if you don;t already have them :(

Oh, so THAT'S what you meant by equipping them... lost the plot there for a bit and didn't rememebr good ole' UFO, TFTD and Apoc :(

That'd be cool. A certain amount of points to put towards equipment for your troops or something. Kinda makes you think about it more and makes some of the longer games whorter (in theory) :(

Good plan! I like it!! :(

Pete:

- "That blooming' Ade promoting performance enhancing substances?! (J/K by the way)"

Hehe, anything to make it sound non-amateurish, right? :(

About those midis, well... uhm... I actually hate them keyboard generated midi music thingies always sounding quite fakeful... :hmmm: ...

BUT, very few times they do actually sound nice and I could use them anyway as addition to my own collection.

You know where to mail em. Thanks in advance.

About the mapbased equipment/unit stuff:

Now the mapcreator creates teams that are stored along with the map.

Whenever this map is used to play a game, the player who began may choose the first team, the rest of the players choose from the remaining teams.

so much for the teams in mapcreation-phase.

Now the mapcreator assigns an amount of equipment points PER TEAM. Meaning that a very small team (1 or 2 units for example) can have very powerful weapons and a large team (5 or 6 for example) can have weak weapons to balance it out.

I've created a graph within the editor that show all teams and where they are not in balance. I say 1 or 2 and 5 or 6, but that might as well be 12 or 13 and 43 and 44 :(

So when a map begins, a player has chosen a team to begin with, then may 'buy' equipment with the points his team has.

My question now is: should the mapcreator be able to limit the variety of equipment to make it a 'mapbased' equipment set? Moreover should the mapcreator be able to make the equipment per team statically, meaning that the player can't do anything about the equipment his team has. Remember, 'just being able to'. I mean, it might be useful for certain maps to create an idea behind it.

Example: Mapname: Double crash (implying that both an Skyranger & an UFO have crashed). On the map is only grass with some fences and perhaps some other objects. Because all weapons have been destroyed, both aliens and humans have only simple pistols and knifes. << static equipment thus <<

But, that's just an idea.

Perhaps the player should be allowed to pick amount of units, with amount of weapons so much as the equipmentpoints would allow. But I guess I can't base these features on the opinion of only 1 or 2 people... or can I...

- "Well - Chrysalids with extra damage and snakemen with medikits could have a good go at them ?" Totally fits in right now with the current ideas.

- "That'd be cool. A certain amount of points to put towards equipment for your troops or something." Also totally fits in already with the current ideas.

Again, I made this post long and non-briefly, but that's to make you understand exactly what's in it and what's not in it. Forgive me if I'm forcing you to consider this as an only-while-drinking-my-coffee-post. :(

Anyway, that's it for now.

AAADDDEEE SSSCCCOOOTTTNNNEEEYYY :(

- [Wormfist]

- "Damage zones would be cool. Double damage if you shoot one in the back maybe ? Oh yeah, and Critical Hits like in the Fallout Series."

Can be arranged, but the game should be attractive to at least everyone playing the current email xcom.

About the serverthing... well, I'm building in an own mail server, or at least a built in program that uses any SMTP server to send it through. So no need for Tankman's program thingy and no tricky stuff needed to get it going or anything. It'll retrieve the standard used SMTP server on the computer and then sends it trough this server to the ultimate receiver...

- [Worm]

Some of the ideas I've seen suggested are bit..... ambitious. There is however one basic thing I'd like to see in a revised version. The ability for trooper A to enter a door/wall that trooper B blasts in the same round. A bit like the barrels/powerups. You can enter their tiles in the same round that you blast them. Being able to do the same with doors would make for interesting tactics when storming a room.

Can it be done?

Cazbol