TFTD mods and tools.

djlogue

I have started to dose myself up on another xcomathon and have finished EU while using various tools like xcomutil and sebs loader/extender and it made the game more user friendly, due to having things like auto sell and craft ready notations. I am using util with tftd but some of the tools don't apear to be working like the save loadout, soldier order promp, mc screening promp after missions. But maybe I have set it up wrong. Anyway I have looked high and low on the web for mods that have more tools to offer but I don't think there are any. Unless anyone can prove me wrong which I would be very glad to hear.

Failing that one of the main things I want to change is the music in tftd. In EU sebs loader allowed for me to use the PSX mp3 music. But I have noticed that the music files SOUNDS folder in tftd are not labeled the same as in EU. Is it possible to use the PSX music on PC.

I already have XCOMHACK for editing \ Cheating. I am just after tools for improving the game.

Adavced thanks to any replys

David. :)

Which version of XCU are you on? I know Blade did a fair bit of work related to TFTD with 9.7, if you're using that it may be worth trying 9.6 in case he accidentally broke some things. Though obviously if you're on an older release you should try upgrading instead.

There's no equiv of Seb's loader for TFTD. Dunno what format the PSX music is in, but if it's not midi, you probably won't be able to do much with it. Catch is it's much more likely to be using whatever sound format the DOS version of the game uses (I'm assuming you've got CE? Though if it's the Steam release, you should actually have both...).

For music, I find it easier to just switch the in-game music off and load up a music player to play the MP3's or midis and play it in the background (or on an ipod or other similar portable music player). Apart from missing out the action music cutting in automatically during interceptions, I find it much more flexible to have control over what's being played. Or just set it to random playback - that can prove to be very interesting if the breaks and action match up, and then funny or very appropriate depending on what plays next. :)

I've been doing this for all the games I've been playing lately after hearing the same music track hundreds of times.

- NKF

For music, I find it easier to just switch the in-game music off and load up a music player to play the MP3's or midis and play it in the background (or on an ipod or other similar portable music player). Apart from missing out the action music cutting in automatically during interceptions, I find it much more flexible to have control over what's being played. Or just set it to random playback - that can prove to be very interesting if the breaks and action match up, and then funny or very appropriate depending on what plays next. :)

I've been doing this for all the games I've been playing lately after hearing the same music track hundreds of times.

- NKF

Thanks for the reply

Okay so to turn off the music do I go into the tftd setup menu, can I do it in game or do I have to tamper with a file. I do have the TFTD soundtrack already so I probably will go staright ahead and give it a go.

Thanks again

Under anything prior to Windows Vista or 7, the sound mixer (usually accessed by double clicking a speaker icon in the lower right of your display) can be used to mute the MIDI channel the game uses for music (it typically goes under "SW Synth").

Under those "new and improved" versions of Windows, you don't have that ability. I was handed a number of altered TFTD CE EXEs once, and I've a vague memory one disables at least some of the MIDI playback, though I'm not sure if it cuts it all out or not or even where it is... Can have a dig if you're stuck with one of the crappy versions of Windows.

There's a modified version of seb's loader that works with greatly reduced functionality with TFTD. As far as i remember only the D3D mode, windowed mode, double-click and some other things work. But its enough to be able to play the game perfectly in Windows 7 64 with no dosbox.

Here's the link: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Xusilak

I haven't tried ticking the MP3 music option in the config file, but i do remember that doing so in the UFO Loader without any actual MP3 music would just make the music silent. So it might work for you =)