SotS2 and Steam

Space Voyager

So, the developers stated that Steam is only obligatory for installing and patching the game. Not for playing. I guess I can live with that, though one has to wonder why choose Steam at all in this case.

It seems as a double edges sword for other retailers - like GamersGate - to offer titles that demand Steam in any phase. This means that they are promoting and selling titles that demand their rival store to be installed on the computers of their buyers. Also, should Steam botch something up, GamersGate is responsible toward their clients.

At the moment it definitely can be viewed as "as long as it brings profit, we'll sell it" but in the long run I wonder if this is the sensible decision.

So, the developers stated that Steam is only obligatory for installing and patching the game. Not for playing. I guess I can live with that, though one has to wonder why choose Steam at all in this case.

I don't know for sure, but my speculation is that it's a very simple consequence of the drive to only have one distributed version.

From one Mecron post, I extract that they tried to work a way to distribute through various different channels without having any variation between them. And couldn't get it to fly. So to have only one version, they'd have to go through only one distributor.

And, since they intend to make money, that one has got to be Steam. Steam isn't likely to go for selling a game that you have to download through someone else. And they're by far the most important digital storefront, so when it comes down to it you'll give every other distributor a problem (which they already tolerate with some titles anyway) rather than drop Steam.

Well, the usage of Steam as described here is pretty much like a standard choice of DRM. And, as in the past, retailers (digital or otherwise) don't really see it as their business which DRM a publisher chooses or does not choose for their games.

In GamersGate's case they are direct competitors with Steam at retail but not in the DRM solutions market, where GamersGate prides itself from not using any such scheme - while nonetheless still selling quite a number of games with their own incorporated protection scheme (Starforce and others).

While personally I obviously prefer not having to deal with any such extraneous DRM nuisances in games at all, it's easy to see how leaving a product unprotected might not appeal to publishers when tested and acceptable protection measures are readily available.

::

And if we think they might have opted for more obtuse/obnoxious solutions like Games For Windows Live instead, we should probably be counting our blessings right now... :(

And if we think they might have opted for more obtuse/obnoxious solutions like Games For Windows Live instead, we should probably be counting our blessings right now... :(

Ok, THAT I must agree with. :(

@Ulzgoroth: I guess you are completely correct. If one wants to go with a single distribution it probably needs to be Steam, as Steam sales can not be disregarded.