Aliens: Colonial Marines

• 2 weeks later...
Minimum Specs: Operating System: Windows XP SP3. Processor: 2 GHz Intel Dual Core Processor. RAM: 2GB RAM (XP),2GB RAM (Vista). HD: 20GB free hard disk space. Optical Drive: DVD. Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible. Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 8500/ATI Radeon HD 2600 (256 minimum).

Recommended Specs: Operating System: Windows XP SP3/Vista/Windows 7. Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Quad CoreProcessor. RAM: 2GB RAM. HD: 20GB free hard disk space. Optical Drive: DVD. Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible. VideoCard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX560/ATI Radeon HD 5850 (512 minimum).

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, DirectX 9, Microsoft .NET 4 Framework, Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008, Visual C++ Redistributable 2010, and AMD CPU Drivers (XP Only/AMD Only).

Interesting...

Also interesting is that you can now pre-purchase the game on Steam. And those that do so gain a hot little bonus:

https://storefront.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/49540/extras/game_page_banner.png

Pre-Purchase and receive S.H.A.R.P. Stick! As referenced by Hudson in Aliens, the prototype sonic-harpoon artillery remote projectile (S.H.A.R.P.) rifle fires time-delayed, explosive-tipped darts that embed themselves into enemies or terrain.

::

Aaand, a TV commercial was aired too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7BkqmMNQWA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't help myself, I was weak and I bought it, downloading it right now, in about 10 hours it will be officially released and playable.

And, they already have DLCs being sold, there is a season pass to get all four of the planned ones as they get released.

F*ck this age of gaming.

Impressions so far:

Graphical quality is sub par by today standards, but it's not that bad.

Enemy and Ally AI is laughable; enemies ignore your allies completely and just go after you, your allies are worthless.

You expect dark environments from an Aliens game, but this is a joke, your flashlight is useless.

Even so, I don't see it as a bad game, but I am also a huge Aliens fan, so I'm probably biased, I'm having fun but I also know every little detail about these movies, so I see this may not be attractive to someone a little less versed into this universe.

I'm sure that reviews THIS bad are partly due to the fact that there was an enormous hype over the game, all the nonsense about canon and being a continuation of the movies etc. etc..

I'm quite a big Aliens fan as well, but this does not lower my demands, the contrary is more likely.

Another huge fan, Windebieste (creator of really good AvP2 mod Under the Hunter's Moon), interviewed Gearblox Slothware CEO, Ratty Pitchfork. Worth reading.

Played a couple more missions, made it to the Colony on LV426.

Actually, I've been having fun, the game is fast paced, the sounds are great straight off from the movie, the music as well.

I'm visiting landmarks from the Aliens movie, like Operations, it's definitely a treat for fans.

I've been p`laying a lot of RPG games like Skyrim and, yes, Farcry 3, so my biggest gripe is that it's very linear, but, to be honest, it's not that much different from stupidly linear games like Call of Duty (ANY of them since Modern Warfare), and I've been having mch more fun with this one than I did with Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops.

Final veredict still pending.

IGN – 4.5/10

Eurogamer – 3/10

Destructoid – 2.5/10

Polygon – 3/10

Games.TM – 4/10

GOL - 4,5/10

So well... the main reason I see is - very poor graphics - some say even worse than GoW from 2006, very short campaign and way too easy. My friend says that the only thing that makes him play is that this is Alien game.

Meh, I'm still enjoying it. The biggest issue I have is the AI, which can be (and hopefully will be) improved in patches.

I honestly don't see it as any worse than AvP2 (my favorite game of the franchise so far).

If you want a challenge, you can always crank up the difficulty.

I like how the Aliens use the darkness in this game, unlike in the AvP games, they will actually hide in the shadows and move slowly, even when not in cover, and you will usually don't see them coming; unfortunately the shitty AI ruins this strategy before it gets a chance to attack you.

This comment from the PA forums sums my thoughts so far:

This is NOT the game i played on PC. I wonder if the version they sent to reviewers was broken or something... I saw no flat black textures for doors, no characters putting their hands through chests. Yes the animations are janky at times, but nothing nearly as bad as described here. The game to me is a Diamond in the rough, it needs a few patches, but a good game is definitely there. I've been playing co-op and having an absolute blast with friends. The alien enemies are smart and climb over walls and through vents and cealing to drop down behind you or attack you from two sides at once. The game is difficult, even on medium difficulty mode. The game is definitely best played on HARDENED or BADASS though for sure, where enemies become truly deadly which makes the game far more tense. It isn't the prettiest game, but it looks no worse than any other Unreal Engine game, graphically it's superior to the recent Dishonored, but nobody rips on Dishonored for it's graphics, yet everyone is ripping on aliens for using the same engine?? The main campaign is dull in the first mission, but picks up steadily and is a lot of fun co-op overall. Definitely needs some Patches but it seems here that Ben went into this game already hating it and hating the source material which is a shame. If you are fan of ALIENS (the second film.) this is a must play and you will have a lot of fun. If you are NOT a fan of the movie, or the franchise as a whole, you may not have as good of a time with the game. Regardless either these people just love to jump on the hate bandwagon, or the review copies for this game were sent out in a state that is different than what was purchased on Steam. I did not encounter even half the bugs he cites in this review, not that i'd consider the game a perfect product, it isn't. But it is fun and thats all that matters.