Superhuman woes, and a little tale of luck.

Direwolf007

Ever had that mission that you just HAD to finish ? No matter how many men you lost, you'd still carry on ? Well, my tale goes like this:

I shot down a small sized sub, organized a nice ten men team plus one talk and proceeded to the crash site. All was well, my torpedo guy took out three aliens in one shot (One he saw, two more hidden, but dead nonetheless), then all hell broke loose. As I approached the alien sub, I was taken out one-by one. Although the prudent thing would have been to run like hell. I didn't. Eventually only one alien (I didn't know there was only one, at the time) and my best guy were left to square off. I took the long way to the sub and came up on the alien from behind. Fired two shots with my Gauss Cannon, and missed both. I was 5 squares away from the damn thing. I thought I was dead and hit end turn. The alien spun around, took aim with a nasty sonic rifle, and squeezed off two shots....and MISSED with both. I started breathing again, shot him dead, hit end turn and was presented with the mission successful screen. WHEW. That's one damn lucky dude, and twice unlucky alien.

And now to the lobster stew. Ship terror mission against Lobsters and those damn flying saucer things. I can barely step out of the triton. Last soldier to do that saw 6 aliens, and promptly ran back into the ship. Then I saved, exited and went to breathe some fresh air. JEEESUS.

Anyone got other lucky / horror stories to share ?

--LeV "Dire Wolf" Arris.

--"Reality is for those who lack imagination"--

I have a story which can be percieved as lucky or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. This happened in UFO though, not TFTD.

I go to a terror site with 8 units (I always chose 8 for some reason), and for some stupid reason I overwrite my save file right when I land, before checking out anything. So after I finish saving I send my one of my units out of the SKYRANGER, he gets shot by reaction fire, I think "Meh, no big loss" and continue playing. I then send out a second guy, he gets shot as well. Then I send out a third guy, and guess what? He gets shot too. This continues till I am down to two units. In stead of retreating (I never have and I never will :) ) I stupidly send out my guy with a laser rifle. But, he doesn't get shot, so I walk him off to the left of the ramp and see a cyberdisk, I knew it was my only chance to kill this thing even if my unit died in the process so I chose to do an "autoshot" and all three shots hit, the cyberdisk then proceeds to explode. KABOOM! Then I see another explosion a couple of squares away, "There must have been an undetected cyberdisk there" I think. But then I see another explosion and another and another etc. This continues until I count 7 explosions in total (My unit wasn't even killed), meaning there were 7 cyberdisks, no wonder almost all my units got shot by reaction fire! Then I hit end turn, and suddenly I won! Apparently the only things there were my units and the cyberdisks (I didn't get any points for civillians though, I wonder who I was trying to save :hmmm: )

That's my tale, I really think that was a lucky occurance though, I have never seen that many cyberdisks packed together before (Or after for that matter) :dontgetit: .

My one's short.

It's the realisation of horror I had when I first mind controlled a superhuman Biodrone and had it fire on one of its pals. Its snap shots were above 100% accuracy.

Put it this way. Reaction fire is generally performed with snap-shots. And since the superhuman biodrone's snapshots were above 100... when you put two and two together, I'm pretty sure you'll understand why I suddenly felt a chill run down my spine. (I later realised this was true for superhuman Triscene too, but my first impression of it was diluted slightly since I'd killed it with one GC-HE shell. It wasn't until much later when I noticed its incredible accuracy )

It's just that no matter what you do, these things pretty much spell instant death the moment you spot one with a lightly armoured soldier.

Oh, I was always horrified by the brutality of the tentaculats and calcinites. Even moreso by the hidious mind control abilities of the high ranking gill-men, aquatoids and most of the tasoth. But at least they couldn't shoot you from several screens away and hit you every time.

- NKF

Well as we all know now,CD's explosion can kill Civilians,but it

does'nt count.Ta-Daa!

=====|

() | |

-- | | <<I got inspiration.Sorry>>

() | |

=====|

Anyway:

One time I had a Ship-Terror mission,and it was my first one (the Horror!).

You know how you start in that extremely comfortable (for the Aliens to shoot)

Hole at the Ship's upper deck-with that excellent view (for the Aliens) from the

second floor right above.As I said,it was my ffirst Ship-Terror mission,and of

course there were Aquatoids,Gillmen,and-Biodrones aplenty (intentionally using

"Pirate Lingo" © LEC Ltd.).So I went out using my favorite cowardly Turtle

formation,only to find how useless it was because there were threats from

all directions-not to mention the second floor!

In short,I got slaughtered.I mean slaughtered,not blasted or eradicated as

usual.