Call me the Master of Alien Colony Infiltration

Hi everybody,

long time lurker, even longer playing. Still I'm lousing at playing, at least after reading this. The easy at which you ppl go through the game...

Question: Very often when I get to base assault part 2 some of my squaddies get scattered alone. As Murphy's law dictates, he/she's surrounded by some lobbies with PWD's and some tentaculates. Now I do wonder how to get around those with only one soldier ??

Answer to the losing USA/Scandinavia support: You can have an incredible score all over the globe. But if one Infiltrator ship gets through you're always the loser. Inifiltration succes doesn't depend on score as far as I know....

O well.. i'm off to tackle another base.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Very often when I get to base assault part 2 some of my squaddies get scattered alone. As Murphy's law dictates, he/she's surrounded by some lobbies with PWD's and some tentaculates. Now I do wonder how to get around those with only one soldier ??

really it all depends on how many soldiers u got inside there...if you're using only a few soldiers inside the entire base, u are gonna hafta pull off the spot and shoot one time method...then move your ass to cover...but with your soldiers scattered everywhere, u wanna do what u can to at least pair all your men into groups of two...start moving closer to eachother so that if u do bump into any hostiles,your men will be getting closer and closer to eachother...again u might wanna pull off a hit and run technique...fire one time and then hide...UNLESS IT'S A TENTACULATE!!! (u see one and u better do whatever it takes,even with one man,to drop the creep) unless u have a nice hiding spot,like inside one of the tiny rooms (that have two doors and really no purpose at all inside of a base)...but in all,just try to move your men into pairs and keep well hidden before the end of every turn...

Most of the time, these lone soldiers are created when you have a very large team entering the colony. Say you brought in the Leviathan with a heck of a lot of troops, and you won the first mission by wiping out every alien standing. This is because all the spawn nodes (the starting positions) for your soldiers are limited, and when they run out, the game has to use some of the aliens' spawn nodes to place your soldiers (and vice versa, in some very unusual cases, such as one of your bases getting attacked that doesn't have any sub pens).

Of course, with TFTD, there are some soldiers known to spawn deep in the base even with considerably smallers squads, so I could be wrong.

The survival rate for these soldiers really depends on luck. What you need to do is to locate the nearest 'lifts' and take them back up a level or two and regroup with some other stray soldiers or your main force. Their is strength in small groups.

Of course, just getting to a lift may save your bacon. If it's one of the smaller lifts, remember that they are only one way and that the aliens cannot go up or down a lift if you are blocking one end of it (the one with the twinkling bits generally mean they go up, and those without mean they go down. And while it's difficult to shoot up or down some lifts, you can easily toss grenades up (always) or down a level (sometimes - you just need to get the angle right) if you know you're being pursued or you spot an alien before it spots you.

Finding small rooms and hiding in them helps a lot too if you need a quick rest, or want to avoid a confrontation (aliens that haven't seen you don't know you're there - this is true for regular combat, but not Molecular Control). And since there's a lot of small spaces inside colonies, hand-to-hand weapons are excellent devices for keeping lone soldiers alive when he or she is surrounded by several aliens. (note, the tentaculats have unusually tough front armour. If you're going to attack one, hit it from the sides or rear for the best results. This isn't that important with sonic weapons considering their power, but it is for vibroblades)

- NKF

Most of the time, these lone soldiers are created when you have a very large team entering the colony. Say you brought in the Leviathan with a heck of a lot of troops, and you won the first mission by wiping out every alien standing. This is because all the spawn nodes (the starting positions) for your soldiers are limited, and when they run out, the game has to use some of the aliens' spawn nodes to place your soldiers (and vice versa, in some very unusual cases, such as one of your bases getting attacked that doesn't have any sub pens).

Of course, with TFTD, there are some soldiers known to spawn deep in the base even with considerably smallers squads, so I could be wrong.

Actualy there are spawn points for xcom units in many of Alien Base maps. sence the game randomly chooses the spawn locations there will alwase be a change of the lone unit.. (totaly unrealistic, and based on what i've seen of the TFTD route files its the result of sloppy work rather than intentional)

and alien spawn point in one of the Xcom Base maps (other then airlock and sub pen).. Every base has them so people think that they spawn in any part of the base. (I'm not going to tell witch one) :devil:

-Blade FireLight

Woo, this is impressive, three well put and very informative replies within a day :)

Most things I already knew, except the grenade throwing (at lifts) and some others. Seems to me though that it is indeed a matter of luck.

I just have to get used to it I think, this is my first attempt at no-reload play and it takes some getting used too :). I entered with 10 soldiers, which of two were merely cannon fodder. Eight made it in and the system spawned two of 'm on the second level alone... surrounded by more than one tentaculat each. I guess I was out of luck.

Did manage to blow the CC though and made it out with 6, YAY ! But I have to say, getting in the base isn't that hard. Just have to learn to tackle the inside.

Got another question but I made a new thread for it. Hope you guys can offer some input on it too.

Thanks !

Of course, just getting to a lift may save your bacon. If it's one of the smaller lifts, remember that they are only one way and that the aliens cannot go up or down a lift if you are blocking one end of it (the one with the twinkling bits generally mean they go up, and those without mean they go down. And while it's difficult to shoot up or down some lifts, you can easily toss grenades up (always) or down a level (sometimes - you just need to get the angle right) if you know you're being pursued or you spot an alien before it spots you.

umm...there is a flaw on that part.....i've been gunned down plenty of times while on the single lifts......they tend to get underneath u and spot u....then they simply fire up...hell, they can use snap shots to take u out because it's not possible to miss u from there...so even if your wearing armour,you're dead...(unless of couse the alien is tentaculat or is'nt carrying a weapon.......use with caution... :)

• 4 weeks later...
.....i've been gunned down plenty of times while on the single lifts......they tend to get underneath u and spot u....then they simply fire up...

Are you sure your not confusing UFO lifts with TFTD lifts?

in UFO it is posible to shot up lifts

in TFTD the lifts are solid and you cant shoot up or down them.

-blade FireLight