Xcom DOSBox and Xcomutil

DutchDynomite

I have an old DOS version of Xcom on CD and have loaded the entire game onto my computer and am using Dosbox to play it. Everything works fine without Xcomutil, except that there are no sound effects just music. But the big problem is when I use Xcomutil and go through the whole process of choosing what to fix and modify, when I try to get into the game and it asks me for the code from the game manual it won't accept the code from the page it asks. So basically with xcomutil working i can't even get into the game, but I can without it.

Oh and also the intro plays when I use Xcomutil, but it doesn't when i run the game normally without it. Not a big deal just a curiosity.

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone might have. Thanks all.

There are a few solutions you can try.

For your sound problem - run the game's setup and match the soundcard settings to the ones Dosbox is configured to. If you're not sure what they are, just type Set Blaster while in Dosbox. Alternately you can also modify Dosbox's soundcard emulation settings from its config file.

Depending on the game version, some older copies had various batch files, and not all of them may have been configured to run the intro. But that's not a problem.

The copy protection - Since they officially removed the copy protection from the game, XComutil strips the codes out and replaces them with a simpler code. Try punching in all 0's. If you don't mind the Sectoids and Snakemen sounding like the Floater, I highly recommend updating the game to the latest patch, being 1.4. This removes the need to enter the codes entirely. Check the file section for the patches.

- NKF

If you don't mind the Sectoids and Snakemen sounding like the Floater, I highly recommend updating the game to the latest patch, being 1.4. This removes the need to enter the codes entirely. Check the file section for the patches.

Also, you can try updating to 1.4 and then using Xcomutil 9.7 beta (by BladeFireLight), which restores the 1.0 sounds to version 1.4.