Help me im "stuck"

MitsuMishi

Hello there!

First, I'm new here so really sorry if i post it in the wrong section.

Second, I'm really new at this great game /maybe 5 days since the first new game xdd/

So I'm afraid that I'm using a bad tactic.First i put my base in Europe,near Budapest.Then as I'm playing i was looking at the graph and there were huge spikes indicating UFO bases (I have read ufopaedia a lot).I dont know if it normal but in my opinion im doing something REALLY bad if there is an alien base in the first/or second/ month.The aliens always go to Australia and East Asia.In my every game!I was thinking about starting in Australia or something,but i read that you guys mostly start at Europe.I think i started 3 games.

The first was okay for a time.Located loads of UFOs then shot them down and stuff.But I made a mistake in researching,and i found myself using Rifles against Snakemen so i was screwed,then loads of ships were over Europe at the same time.

In the second i researched lasers first and stuff,but i couldnt find any UFOs./maybe 1 or 2/So i checked the graph and lots of UFO activites were at Australia and those parts/with the spikes too/.

On the third I did the same like the second but then there were ufo sightings almost everywhere EXCEPT Europe...Jeeez....

Sorry for the long post but what tactics you guys use to prevent these things happen?/I was playing all of my games on Beginner/

P.S.: I have an other question.When I was playing with this game in the first start.On terror missions the sectoids didnt use any psi stuffs.But in the second and third they are using that regularly on my soldiers.Is my game bugged or what?

I wouldn't worry too much about the graphs... I don't think that a spike in activity really means there's an Alien base there...

But you could use the graphs to help you dictate where your next base is going to be.

I say just do what you can do based on your radar coverage... get a large radar asap so you can see a bit more.. shoot down whatever wonders in your space and deal with it accordingly.

If you see activity in another part of the world just make it a point to perhaps place your next base there, but I'd say that your first two bases should usually go to Europe and US, because they give you the most money.

Ultimately your primary source of income is going to be from selling the stuff you get from ground combat, so if you lose a country or you lose some funding it's by no means the end of the world.

As far as Sectoids are concerned, Leaders and Commanders are the only type of Sectoid that can use psionics... I believe that you get 1 Leader on terror missions, so once you take him out then you don't have to worry about it anymore.

The only time you deal with Commanders are when you fight a battleship crew, base defense or alien base.

So my advice is to not worry about the graphs at this stage of the game... it's too early to do anything about it and if the aliens build a base, it's not the end of the world.

In my current game on superhuman the Aliens have 5 or 6 bases, and I'm still getting Excellent reviews by the countries and funding is increasing.

In fact bases can be a good thing, since they have to be supplied by supply ships. The best scenario is having your base close to an alien base so when the supply ship arrives and lands at the alien base you can go there with your Sky Ranger and pillage it! >:] It's not an easy fight though, but its' great for income.

Good luck!

In the second i researched lasers first and stuff,but i couldnt find any UFOs./maybe 1 or 2/So i checked the graph and lots of UFO activites were at Australia and those parts/with the spikes too/.

On the third I did the same like the second but then there were ufo sightings almost everywhere EXCEPT Europe...Jeeez....

Sorry for the long post but what tactics you guys use to prevent these things happen?/I was playing all of my games on Beginner/

Well, research order is a learning curve thing (I made that mistake a couple of times myself), although there are several good options.

Try sending Interceptors to the regions that are spiking (they can spot close-by UFOs as they're portable radar). If the activity rating is increasing then an interceptor has a chance of finding something. If the region's out of range of an Interceptor, a manned Skyranger still might have a chance if the UFO's one that actually lands.

P.S.: I have an other question.When I was playing with this game in the first start.On terror missions the sectoids didnt use any psi stuffs.But in the second and third they are using that regularly on my soldiers.Is my game bugged or what?
No; whether they want to use psi on terror missions is dependent on several factors.

Before I go on a long spiel on how I play, I'll tell you one of the greatest things you can have while playing the game. It's a piece of paper and a pencil.

I usually start in the U.S. myself. It doesn't matter what level I play at, but the U.S. is a good starting point. Second, I work on getting my base layout changed as soon as I can. I place two hangers up towards the top, near where the one is. Followed by a large radar system, a missile defense, more living quarters, another 2 labs. Third, research, I usually start with medkits, strangely enough. Then I switch to laser weapons. Fourth, I take a look at base equipment, and write down what's there, what I need, and what I don't need. After that, I usually sell off the Stingray launchers, some missiles, the extra cannons, all the pistols, and smoke grenades. I then buy another Avalanche launcher, some more of those missiles, more cannon ammo for now, 2 more rifles, some more heavy and autocannons, their ammo, another rocket launcher, and more of their ammo, some stun rods, and enough grenades to have a total of 20. I usually arm one interceptor with the Avalanche launcher that I already have. Fifth, I hire 2 more soldiers, 10 more scientists and 10 more engineers. Sixth, I go to the Geoscape, and wait for the first UFO to pop up, and tag it with my Avalanche equipped interceptor, which typically destroys the scout. Then I typically sit back and wait. I usually get the personal equipment first, followed by the personnel, and finally things start getting built. I usually take out the right hanger first, as I need that space for another lab, more storage, and more missile defense. If I have the large radar going, then I drop the small one, then build more living quarters.

I can't remember the details, but it's either a change in squad composition, which changes a little over time (which also causes the the change in their general weapon loadout), or all your weak to middle range psi strength soldiers were sufficiently far away from the Sectoid Leader to not be affected.

Terror site crews always include exactly 1 leader, so one of the more likely reasons is that you may have killed the leader very early on.

About the activity spikes, it could just be some UFOs on ordinary missions rather than bases. Bases generate 5 activity points in the zone for every day they exist, so you're looking at a slow build up of 150 - 155 points by the end of the month. UFOs on the other hand drop an instant lump of activity points down on a successful mission.

As for the UFOs: The first few UFOs you meet are always scheduled to appear in your zone of operations. Later UFOs however will have fairly random mission zones anywhere in the world. So not seeing any UFOs for a while doesn't mean that the game is bugged. What it does mean is that you need to expand your radar coverage. At the start that's done by sending your interceptors or Skyranger out to patrol until you can build some listening outposts (aka basic bases with just a radar installed). Just remember that aircraft can only scan when they are patrolling, not while they are in flight. As mentioned, the graphs are a good way to point you where to send your ships to patrol.

As for whether you are making mistakes or not - this game is a very flexible one in how you approach it, and even if you make some mistakes, it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost the game. As long as you don't have negative scores or have negative cash for two consecutive months in a row, you've got at least one base active (even if it's just the access lift and nothing else), and you've got the cash to recover, then you are still winning. >:]

Weapon-wise, don't forget that you have grenades, the rocket launcher, the rocket tank and the heavy cannon and autocannon at your disposal that can help fill the gap for heavy firepower before you get the lasers or plasma weapons.

- NKF

Before I go on a long spiel on how I play, I'll tell you one of the greatest things you can have while playing the game. It's a piece of paper and a pencil.

I usually start in the U.S. myself. It doesn't matter what level I play at, but the U.S. is a good starting point. Second, I work on getting my base layout changed as soon as I can. I place two hangers up towards the top, near where the one is. Followed by a large radar system, a missile defense, more living quarters, another 2 labs. Third, research, I usually start with medkits, strangely enough. Then I switch to laser weapons. Fourth, I take a look at base equipment, and write down what's there, what I need, and what I don't need. After that, I usually sell off the Stingray launchers, some missiles, the extra cannons, all the pistols, and smoke grenades. I then buy another Avalanche launcher, some more of those missiles, more cannon ammo for now, 2 more rifles, some more heavy and autocannons, their ammo, another rocket launcher, and more of their ammo, some stun rods, and enough grenades to have a total of 20. I usually arm one interceptor with the Avalanche launcher that I already have. Fifth, I hire 2 more soldiers, 10 more scientists and 10 more engineers. Sixth, I go to the Geoscape, and wait for the first UFO to pop up, and tag it with my Avalanche equipped interceptor, which typically destroys the scout. Then I typically sit back and wait. I usually get the personal equipment first, followed by the personnel, and finally things start getting built. I usually take out the right hanger first, as I need that space for another lab, more storage, and more missile defense. If I have the large radar going, then I drop the small one, then build more living quarters.

Ok, I have to ask, why build missile defenses when they don't stop anything? I think you answered this question in another thread, but I forgot the reason >:]

It has to be strategically placed to be of any value. Either as the choke point or part of the tunnel that separates the base from the hangars and access lift.

Or, it could just be used for its intended purpose. Missile defense modules are fairly cheap and quick to build, so you can easily generate a large battery of them. They do get tedious after a while. >:]

- NKF

It has to be strategically placed to be of any value. Either as the choke point or part of the tunnel that separates the base from the hangars and access lift.

Or, it could just be used for its intended purpose. Missile defense modules are fairly cheap and quick to build, so you can easily generate a large battery of them. They do get tedious after a while. >:]

- NKF

What is the strategic value? My understanding is that you could accidently set them off in a fire fight... would you lose the entire module in that scenario or are they one of the indestructible?

No, they're not explosive as such. The strategic value is in the layout. Have a look at the level 0 layout on the wiki:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Missile_Defences

Aliens are forced to walk aroung a C shaped corridor, and if set right, you can even have someone hiding upstairs with a motion scanner to watch for all incoming traffic. Aliens should be funneled through the north entrance and the base connected either from the south or east entrance.

- NKF

Missile defenses are the first defenses for a base. I swap out the missiles for lasers, then plasma, and finally fusion. I end up with hangers at the top, only the airlock between the hangers and the rest of the base, on all of my bases. I could eliminate at my intercept/radar bases with massive amounts of storage a couple of storage units, and make more of a choke point. I try to get my storage down to elerium only in most of my bases, so I can eliminate at least one storage area, to add in psi-labs. All my defenses, radar, grav shield, mind shield, go at the bottom, with my defense weapons.

I do like uniformity in all of my base layouts. As the game progresses, if one gets taken out, I can have another to take it's place in very, relative, time. I shoe horn psi-labs in where I can.

One other thing, I don't know if this is a bug, or not, but I've had my interceptors find UFO's close to the flight path. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does once in a while.

No, they're not explosive as such. The strategic value is in the layout. Have a look at the level 0 layout on the wiki:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Missile_Defences

Aliens are forced to walk aroung a C shaped corridor, and if set right, you can even have someone hiding upstairs with a motion scanner to watch for all incoming traffic. Aliens should be funneled through the north entrance and the base connected either from the south or east entrance.

- NKF

Interesting.... I'll try this out >:] So far I haven't put too much thought into the choke point layout... really the only issue with base defense so far for me has been the blaster bombs. I find that I pretty much need to get everyone inside a closet or something between turns or else they're going to die sooner or later.

To Clarify, I do build my bases so there's a choke point from the air lock, I just haven't put thought into what module I put there.

Interesting.... I'll try this out >:] So far I haven't put too much thought into the choke point layout... really the only issue with base defense so far for me has been the blaster bombs. I find that I pretty much need to get everyone inside a closet or something between turns or else they're going to die sooner or later.

To Clarify, I do build my bases so there's a choke point from the air lock, I just haven't put thought into what module I put there.

I just clean up the mess in the entryway and use that as a staging point.

Less efficient a chokepoint, maybe, but the doors block blaster bombs and allow better reactions from the troops.

Hello again!

I was thinking about something.

If you shoot down an UFO,but send the Crash Recovery Units later(waiting till there will be light for example) will be the aliens more scattered around the map?(like they have more time to get out of their ship and so on)

Yesterday i had a terror mission in London.I didnt want to go there at night so i made light with a glitch (i know its bad but i was tired and didnt want to go there at night).So i waited till the Sun come up and get in there.When i came out of the Skyranger i got eliminated Oo. On my left and right sides there were 2-2 sectoids.Behind me a cyberdisk and a sectoid, and in front of me 2 sectoids and a Cyberdisk.I was screwed.If i waited inside the Skyranger then they blew it up.(I got punished for the glitching huh?xd)So all i want to ask is when you wait with landing will it be harder for you to win?

No, it won't scatter the aliens more if you wait a while before going to a mission. The aliens are simply placed randomly around the map. Terror sites in particular are very reliant on luck. Often you'll find the ramp is surrounded by aliens, and this is a common feature of terror sites. To help you exit the ship, wait at least one turn inside the ship and perhaps throw a smoke grenade at the bottom of the ramp.

On a similar note, if you were wondering about the damage done to UFOs that have been shot down: there's no relation to how much damage the UFO has taken in the Geoscape with what you see in the battlescape. It's randomized at the time the map is created.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! It's me again!

This time im on with an ethical question xd

So,here is Australia.They stopped funding me because of the aliens.

Okay,i don't care about them,i got loads of money.As I was playing around a terror mission popped out, of course in Australia... :( .The question is should i help them somehow or just dont give a fuck for them?Since I dont get money from Australia dont know if not answering the call will result in any consequences.

Sadly it does, as I understand it. The game has two ways to determine if you can keep playing, or if you lose (excluding losing all your bases): 1) Does the player still have postive money? I think this can go one or two months in the red before you lose. 2) Is the player's score postive? I think if you have two months in a row with a negative monthly score, you lose.

The trick is the SCORE. See, the game doesn't consider anything like "Well that country stopped supporting him so he shouldn't HAVE to deal with their problems". It's a flat comparasion between YOUR sscore, and the Aliens' score. The problem with ignoring a terror site is that aliens score BIG(compartivtly so) on an uncontested Terror site, compared to most anything else.

I admit I'm not an expert on the exact score crunching stuff, but I have been lead to understand that ignoring a terror site unless you just CAN'T show up there(even showing up and immediatly dusting off isn't as bad as ignorign it) is considered a very bad idea. If you don't care to do it, and you're score is padded enough for the month, could get away with it though.

Ignoring it is a thousand points off. Turning up then dusting off right away will result in a somewhat randomised penalty (depending on the amount of civilians present), but will always be less then half the cost of not turning up at all.

On the other hand, if you win the mission, odds are you could personally slaughter every civilian in the zone and still come out with a positive score.

You can keep a terror site on Geoscape almost indefinitely by the simple expedient of using interceptors to target the site. They will come back to base. You can do one interceptor per base to target, and keep it on the map for a very long time. It is best to take them on, and just suffer through them, unless they are in darkness. Then do the interceptor trick for a short while, until the sunlight comes around.