These crashes are killing me... Help!!

CapnKill

I'd say I've reached a point where 20% of my crash site missions end with a crash. Basically I win it, I get the summary screen, I push the button to go back to Geoscape and poof.. crash...

Its very frustrating for obvious reasons, cause the entire mission is lost and I just wasted anywhere between 15 - 45 minutes >:]

So what are some known bugs that could cause crashes at this spot? I am using UFO Extender, so perhaps that is having a negative impact?

Any help would be great, thanks!

I don't know, had another one today. I have 3 crashed UFOs, and two out of those 3 have crashed my game when I completed the mission... I haven't tried the 3d one yet, but I'm getting very discouraged at this stage.

The game is a blast and I want to finish it on Superhuman but at this rate I'm just wasting my freaking time >:]

All my bases are intact btw... no problems there...

So what are some known bugs that could cause crashes at this spot?
It is a Very Bad Thing to save a game with an interceptor window open. The resulting savegames eventually crash on open in Geoscape. This does include "had interceptor window open when starting Battlescape".

"Eventually", because sometimes the crash-on-open doesn't start immediately.

Some crashes are also caused by the environment the game is playing in - different computer systems and different hardware configs. Different processor speeds also cause the game to do strange things at time as well. This game has always been very difficult to work with - especially since there are lots of places in the game that seem to cause memory leaks and data corruption occurs. If you're using Dosbox, one of the things you could try to alter the cycles a little. Or, copy your savegame into the windows version of the game (or if you purchased it off a website, they often have both copies bundled together - so just run the Windows Executable), play it for a bit in that until you are past the spot that crashes, then copy the game back into the dos edition and resume. Or vice versa if you're playing it the other way around.

If you're using the Windows edition, it might also be worth saving the game, exiting the game and restarting it after every couple of missions. I find that it really helps.

- NKF

Some crashes are also caused by the environment the game is playing in - different computer systems and different hardware configs. Different processor speeds also cause the game to do strange things at time as well. This game has always been very difficult to work with - especially since there are lots of places in the game that seem to cause memory leaks and data corruption occurs. If you're using Dosbox, one of the things you could try to alter the cycles a little. Or, copy your savegame into the windows version of the game (or if you purchased it off a website, they often have both copies bundled together - so just run the Windows Executable), play it for a bit in that until you are past the spot that crashes, then copy the game back into the dos edition and resume. Or vice versa if you're playing it the other way around.

If you're using the Windows edition, it might also be worth saving the game, exiting the game and restarting it after every couple of missions. I find that it really helps.

- NKF

Yes, it seems that most of the time just going back to the game after a reload fixes the problem. I think I can work with it now. Thanks!