Editing the Research Tree

Gizamaluke

Hi All,

Does anyone here know how to edit the research tree?

I would like to edit some of the elements of the game that requires certian research to be completed first.

For example, i was thinking of adding elerium fuel cells for the plasma cannon so that the game isn't so biased towards using them. To do that, i will need to rearrange the tree somewhat. I know this can be done as TFTD has a 'Laser' cannon that requires ammo.

Any thoughts (and modding help) would be greatly appreciated :D

Giz.

That basically sums it up.

There are changes in TFTD from the original UFO gameplay. It would be easy enough to impliment most of these changes in UFO with the editors we have at the moment. (Single shot for plasma cannons, more blast power for alien grenades, different ship layout etc..) So i believe there must be a way to do it in the game.

Just checked out the UFOPEDIA website and there is something mentioned in the details of the research.dat file. All research requires a prerequesite research topic before it can proceed, in much the same way that research progresses in Civ2. Hopefully, tinkering around with this may lead to some answers.

Guess i better load up my hex editor then...

Giz.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking, if all research needs certain prerequesites to proceed, then surely they must be stored somewhere in the EXE file somewhere.

Say for example UFO Construction; It requires pwer source, element 115, ufo navigation and alien alloys. If each of these has a value then they should be quite close together.....

Giz