Focus at start - science or manufacturihng?

jrink

The last game I played I focused heavily on Scientists, having 150 as quickly as possible to research sonic weaponry for my men AND my ships (to shoot down large ships). I spent almost NO $ (I have 10 techs for the 150 scientists) on manufacturing.

This game, I'm spending a good deal of money on manufactuing. I now have 75 techs and 75 scientists. I've found that this sure seems to be a better way to play from the start since I have SO much more $ now from selling off all the particle dist. sensors I've been making, it's a good income for now.

Wondering what other people do.. focus on science or manufacturing first?

Well, as I usually start my games with XCOMUTIL's improved base I start with 50 scientists and 10 engineers, so I usually buy 20 more... but I like to have it balanced at first and when I'm more comfortable I hire a lot more engineers.... I'm now in May and have 100 scientists and 230 engineers or so....

The Xcomutil base gives you one lab with a full complement of researchers, a containment unit and a large radar. It's nothing you cannot achieve in a few weeks time. Personally, I like the original design (the one that comes with the game, not Xcomutil's). It's a bit more aesthetically pleasing and fun to redecorate.

Anyway, back to the topic:

Having played the game several times through, I know what I want to research and what I do not need, so I can prioritise and leave all the unnecessary bits off for much later once the scientists have nothing else to do. I like to keep a 50 strong research team. It's easier on the budget and you can still get a fair turn of research speed.

For manufacture, it's not all that important in the early stages of the game. Eventually, I enhance it to two workshops and a sufficient workforce of engineers. Much later in the game, once funds are sufficient, I build a passive storage/manufacturing facility and transfer my engineering workforce over there and dismantel the old workshops. The number of workshops might grow to any size after that. It's a good thing the engineers can pretty much pay their own wages once you start churning out craft gauss cannons.

- NKF

I go for research. It's especially important for me now when I'm playing my first game and don't now the research tree. I have 50 scientists (I earned them :P ) and make do with the 10 engineers that came with the base. I'd like to double the number of scientists and even get them up to 200, but I'll first build a second base with a full assault team, so the 50 scientists will have to do for now.

Cazbol