It never fails. Base assault by January 5.

Crafty

Playing on superhuman, more than half the time, the first UFO I get is a landing near my base, not a shootdown. I recover it, get some E-115, and head back. Every time this happens, and I do mean every time, I get a base invasion by January 5 or so. I can handle the floaters, but that's too early for sectoids and cyberdiscs, sorry. Of course, if I ignore that first UFO, it's smooth sailing no matter how many UFOs I shoot down.

I'm starting to think that having E-115 is some sort of trigger. It's not as simple as shootdowns -> base assault.

Well, it is meant to be superhuman. ;) However it does sound strange for you to be getting the attack almost regularly.

From what I know, you can start the game with the first UFO being on a retaliation scouting mission and you can get very early base attacks with minimal provocation. But if doing an assault on the first UFO triggers this with some regularity, then that would be good to know.

I'm not entirely sure there's an elerium connection. Score perhaps? You do earn more for recovering an intact ship.

- NKF

Seb76 recently said somewhere (maybe at the XcomUfo forums in the UFO Extender thread) that the aliens only retaliate when you shoot down a UFO. Landed UFOs are exempt from retaliation missions. According to this though, you are able to trigger the aliens to attack you through only Landed UFOs. Are you positive that nothing was shot down? ;)

Of course, if the aliens start the game with a retaliation mission on their slate in Missions.dat then it's entirely possible. Just the luck of the draw what missions the aliens have initially. :)

- Zombie

Nah no Elerium Trigger that I known off

Just started my first attempt at Superhuman (with a few changes like no Psi for me etc) and I got a base attack before I'd got any Elerium which resulted in something I haven't seen before without using an editor....

https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/Boomer2k6/Whoops-1.gif

Then I remembered I was on Superhuman and this is probably to be expected. What a nightmare, half my guys didn't even have guns becasue I accidentally double recruited...it was almost like being in the British Army

Heh. And that's after he has flattened at least three of them, probably four, judging from the screenshot...

4 ;)

Since you can see it's a gif I turned on the DOSBox recorder to get this image because I couldn't remember the screenshot key

Left it recording and the rest of this mission was just one of those standard free-for-all's you got when you first get the game

Also I made a Rookier error by Priming a Grenade, forgetting about it and getting the holder of the Grenade killed by reaction fire.....whoops

Later on after clearing the hangar here (costly) sent 2 guys with mighty Laser Pistols in, they spot a Disk...

1) Errr...you got anything?

2) Yeah this HE......

Boom....Second Disk comes wandering in to see what happened

2) Err I'm out

1) I've got an HE too...our commander's Boom happy

Boom....

Third disk comes through the SAME DOOR!!

1) Ummm....

2) DAMN!!!

*Sound of 20-odd Laser Pistol shots bouncing off just about everything*

And obviously the final Sectoid alive is a LEader/Commander and nooooooo he doesn't mind rape one of my guys with no weapons...it's the guy with the Laser Rifle...in the middle of the backup squad....*insert cheating scum rant*

Net Result:

25 Aliens dead in one form or another...mostly atomised thanks to Disks

7 Xcommies Dead

3 Stunned and Dizzy

Ruined Hanger

Tank Dead

Overworked Engineering Team building MOAR Weapons!!

This is the awesomness I remember :)

Edit: And I just got Extender loaded and working....UFO Cydonia's Fall as the music...BEEFED up Heavy Laser....oh this is gonna be sweeeeeeet

2 versions....that's ho wmuch I love this game...and I still suck