Zombie games!

FullAuto

@Thorondor. It's not really withdrawal, although that would certainly be a factor with essentially playing one game in five parts over five months, when the whole thing is only about 12 hours long (disregarding replay value). It's my feeling that episodic gaming doesn't really work. You cannot, for instance, buy episode 1, see the reviews for episode 2 are bad, and skip it, buying episode 3. Or rather, you can, but you won't have a clue what's going on. I suppose you could look the plot up on Wikipedia or YouTube but I prefer to believe human beings are slightly better than that.

To my way of thinking, if you buy episode 1, you're buying the entire game, or it's just a waste of money. For starters, the pricing nudges you towards buying the whole season (£20.99 on Steam or £16 on PSN, which is almost as low as the North American price. Thanks for stinging Europe again guys!), instead of paying £3.99 per episode on the PSN. You can't buy episode 1 and be satisfied, it's not that episodic. It is, essentially, five chapters of one game. If you sat down and played the first 20% of any other game and it ended there, you wouldn't be happy. This is no different.

If I'm going to buy it, I have to know it's worth it. But seeing as I don't know if every episode is any good, I have to wait. I'm sure TellTale want people to be early adopters, to snap up the full season, but for all I know the first episode is good and the rest are shit. So, in four months, I'll have seen reviews of all the episodes and will buy it or not, and the price will probably be lower then too. How does this work in TellTale's favour? :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, those graphics look really strange, look at the puffs of smoke when they shoot...

Anyhow, that is an interesting idea, most zombie games are lone survival games, you're mostly on your own, would be nice for a change to be with a bunch of survivors (a la L4D, but less arcade-y) and fight with them. One of the things I'm looking forwards to in Aliens Colonial Marines, even if it's not zombies it's the same idea.

• 1 month later...

Sooo I have decided that DayZ itself is, in fact, a zombie virus. That thing is awesome and amazing.

Just throwin that out there.

I have to agree, the infection is hard to fight. Great mod for a cool game (I always loved the original Operation Flashpoint). Brings out the irrational fear in everyone.

In other news, Kickstarter has an awesome looking zombie game, that's about survival, not just killing zombies. It's a turn-based tactical game with major RPG elements called Dead State. Check out https://www.kickstart...ie-survival-rpg and promptly empty your wallets like I did.

I hate to double post, but this Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG is getting down to the final 48 hours for backing, and they're $18K from the next goal which includes more character customization.

So the run down: turn based tactical combat; base building; dealing with NPCs and Allies; RPG character development with skills and perks; slow moving zombies; all for $15.

So check it out on Kickstarter. There's a nice vid that shows what they're aiming for.

And now back to your regularly schedule program.

Funny enough, this seems like a copy of Kerberos' Fort Zombie with turn based combat. May just be a better solution!

Heh heh, I was drumming up interest on another site, and called it "Fort Zombie done right".

$270K at present, so more character customization, more zombies, and more game options. Just $30K from a whole new city environment. I'm excited to see this one gather some momemtum.

WOuld like to correct my eariler post. Apparently there ARE some people that don't shoot on sight.

Instead, they will take their top-end equipment(assault rifles+giant packs and etc); then go rob a pair of new characters for a single can of food.

Love DayZ, but until the devs put in a mechanism to help limit PKing(there is currently no penatly whatsoever), its going to be in the 'C+ to B' range of games. Good, but don't go buy the base game for it.

I hate to double post, but this Dead State: The Zombie Survival RPG is getting down to the final 48 hours for backing, and they're $18K from the next goal which includes more character customization.

So the run down: turn based tactical combat; base building; dealing with NPCs and Allies; RPG character development with skills and perks; slow moving zombies; all for $15.

So check it out on Kickstarter. There's a nice vid that shows what they're aiming for.

And now back to your regularly schedule program.

Backed, thank you!

• 1 year later...