Xcom sounds

tacitrain

Almost all the sounds used in the game are stock sound effects. I'm sure a lot of them can be found in the public domain. They're used EVERYWHERE. (Like the hovertank movement noise, that's used in the Inspector gadget theme song as a police siren. The UFO door sounds, they are used in tons of sci fi films and movies. The plasma cannon is the BFG9000 from Doom and various other games and films. Etcetera, etcetera)

I know you can get a number of them from some of the interface sound effects supplied with Windows. Like the clicks from TFTD's interface, the door opening sounds (minimize and maximize).

- NKF

sounds can be easily taken from game as long as its patched version, because file stores waves with header, and they can be ripped with simplest ripper. however, this is different with files from old version. there is simple toc at the beginning of file with 2 longints for every entry: offset and length. the actual pcm data starts 6 bytes after specified offset. i don't know what is stored in those 6 bytes. sounds are raw pcm data 8bit unsigned in range from 0 to 63 instead from 0 to 255 (only 6 bits instead of 8 are used), so they are quiet and there is click at the beginning and at the end. multiplying every sample by 4 fixes it.