Two Part Mission Questions

Yxklyx

First off, is there a more active forum than this one on the internet?

On the two parters do you get the items on the ground from the first part if you complete the second part? What if the items are in the Triton? Do all items in the Triton go back to base in all cases? So, should you be ferrying stuff back to the Triton before you kill the last alien in the first part?

If you kill every last alien in the second part of a colony base mission does the mission end or do you still have to walk back to the exit point and abort?

Lots of the regulars still monitor the forums, but it's the low number of questions that keeps it less than active. :laugh:

I don't recall losing any of the equipment that I brought on the Triton into the first part, so it is possible equipment on the Triton is returned to the base. More testing is required to see if new equipment brought into the Triton is recovered, of course. Otherwise most of the equipment that's left on the ground from the first part is lost except for what your Aquanauts are carrying.

It's not part of the question, but I thought I'd mention it anyway: You can't carry a live specimen between maps, they get killed on the second part. You can recover them if you choose to abandon the mission by escaping with it in the Triton.

As for the Colony/Artefact Site: Yes, killing all of the enemies will complete the battle. You may have to destroy the synonium device too, but otherwise the mission should end. If it doesn't end, then there's an alien you have not yet found. It is possible that one of the aliens might end up stuck somewhere that you can't get to (at least not without lots of high explolsives), so you will have to walk back to the exits in that case.

- NKF

It's not part of the question, but I thought I'd mention it anyway: You can't carry a live specimen between maps, they get killed on the second part. You can recover them if you choose to abandon the mission by escaping with it in the Triton.

I think this happens because the unit from the first mission is overwritten in unitref.dat when the aliens are placed on the second level. Would have been nice if the programmers just appended the file with the second batch just in case you managed to stun a couple aliens. ;)

I'd assume that the other files function in the same manner when jumping to the next part of a mission. For objects, I'd guess that anything on the map (wherever it may be) will be overwritten in obpos.dat with the new batch of weapons. The game will still give you credit for collecting them but you don't actually recover them when all is said and done. :laugh:

- Zombie

Technically you are carrying a corpse item, so that carries across fine. But as you say, their unitref and unitpos entries aren't, so it automagically becomes a corpse. Had this happen to me after I'd picked up my first Deep One in some campaign years back. Was all giddy and excited that I was about to unlock my Ion Armor too.... heh. Next time I ran into a Deep One right outside the Triton on another shipping lane mission. Jabbed it with the thermal tazer and dusted off with it. :laugh:

- NKF

If you kill them all in the second part do you get all the equipment from part 2? From part 1?

I had a colony mission that was a total disaster even though I completed it.

I didn't kill all the aliens in part 1. I destroyed the Device and got the message to return to the exit zone, which I did. (I stupidly forgot to pick up the Commanders - I think the mission took me 4 hours to play so I was anxious to get out!). I had one guy sleeping in a backpack who was "lost in action". The only equipment that survived was what my last four men carried back - so I ended up negative in the finance column with no booty to sell. And finally, my nearest base was immediately retaliated against and lost.

It seems like too much pain for little gain.

If you ended the mission by escaping from the colony attack, then only what's left on the exit pads will be recovered. It's the same as aborting an ordinary mission (or the first part of a colony), you only get what's on the ship (see, the exit pads behave exactly like the interior of the Triton). So if you want loot and want to end the second part by aborting, then haul stuff back to the exit pads. Otherwise hunt down every last alien and get everything, including the zrbite that'll be in the various Ion Beam Accelerator objects about the map.

Also unconcious aquanauts seem to go MIA for some really odd reason. Wake them up before dusting off.

I agree, it's a lot of effort for little gain. Consider instead leaving some colonies intact and either raid the top-side section for experience and to gather up DPL ammo (lots on that map I often find), or go after the supply ship that docks there every so often. The TFTD supply ships do have DPLs that you'll have to contend with (making them harder than the supply ships in UFO), but the experience, lots of equipment, about 150 zrbite a ship (if you were careful around the engines), and most importantly area points are well worth having the colony around. Even one supply ship will completely counteract the colony' activity for the month.

- NKF