Ambidextrous melee?

uly

Okay, the forum seems dead... but anyway.

I just dug up UFO:AS and applied the 1.2 patch. (I played back in the 1.1 days.) The 1.2 patch info says "ambidextrous melee is possible". I presume that means you can dual wield knives. So I trained up my L2 ranger and put a knife and each of his hands. But guess what? He still attacks with only one knife!

As far as I can tell, there's no speed nor damage bonus, either; he's simply holding the second knife for fun.

Can anyone confirm this or am I doing something wrong?

PS My ranger can dual wield pistols quite effectively, my question concerns only melee weapons.

Well, you seem to be right.

I got curious and tried it myself, and my ranger dealt a whopping 403 damage with 2 Browning knives which is what she did with one blade.

So Ambi melee seems like wishful thinking from Altar. :laugh: Or if it's lost in translation maybe.

Meh, I think I'll stick to twin MP5:s.

In one of my earlier campaigns, I got a mission where I had to save some random soldier who just happened to be a commando with a katana. Thanks to his boosted stats and the mid-level armour he was wearing, he was just amazing at slicing and dicing everything that would normally turn my own men into mince meat. I think he got all the perks and skills to make it worthwhile.

So I made a token melee guy. Sadly even with all the right jobs and stats pumped into making the melee weapons the best they can be, the weapons themselves never really seemed to expand much beyond the Katana to make the soldier a worthwhile long term investment. Dual weilding would've been quite an improvement for the uber-ranger wanting to conserve ammo on long running missions like the asteroid.

- NKF

Well, that sucks.

I wonder though why they listed "Ambidextrous melee" in the 1.2 patch log. I presume that, to make dual melee actually possible, you'll certainly need new animation to go with it. As far as I can tell no such animation is included in the 1.2 patch.

What's more, ambi melee isn't even available in UFO:AL. If they actually had it with AS 1.2 surely they should have included it with AL.

Anyway it's just all very puzzling and dissappointing.