Favourite Mission Type

Pumpkinhead

I was inspired to make this thread after reading another post mentioning that someone liked Terror Sites.

It made we curious to know what everyone else's faves are?

If your favourite happens to a crash/landing site, don't forget to also mention what terrain you prefer:

• Mountain
  • Farm
  • Forest
  • Jungle
  • Desert
  • Polar

EDIT: And here's a visual aide if you can't remember what each looks like:

https://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/pics/terrain.gif

What's your favourite mission type?

UFO Crash Recovery

UFO Ground Assault

Base Defence

Alien Base Assault

Terror Mission

Cydonia

*Raises hand meekly*

*Quickly puts hand back down*

I am the culprit that likes Terror Missions!

Actually, I like ALL missions, Terror based or not! I really enjoy the actual combat portion of the game. Having soldiers do what you tell tell them (sometimes) makes me feel in control of the situation. Add that to using various weapons and devising or implementing different strategies depending on the terrain, and combat becomes even more addicting!

Gee, do I really have to pick one? I think I'll pass for now! (Can I be on the board of directors and not vote, because I only have a non-controlling interest in the company!) I do have a favorite terrain though. It is a tie between a farm and an urban setting (which is conspicuously missing from your list). Clearing out the various rooms and buildings is fun! It is also cool to use the buildings as cover for your soldiers. Sometimes you can even set traps in various houses to take the aliens off-guard! :power:

I love it, I love it, I love it! (Points if you know who always said this!) :eh:

Ground assualt, but again, I like them all equally. Scratch that, I'm only really happy in the strategic view.

But in combat, it's nice to know your going to get something valuable, and the elerium from an intact craft is a very rare thing in my experiance.

I've always liked base defence. Part of the game's magic is that you get this nifty base management screen, where you spend your hard-earned cash on base modules, which you arrange lovingly just so...

...and are then dropped into the sh*t with the grunts, as that same valuable and familiar base becomes a battleground you must fight to reclaim in the tactical screen, or lose it forever.

:power:

You might also want to ask what light levels you like to fight on your favourite terrain as well if its applicable.

Full daylight

Twilight/Dawn

Night

Me, eh, I find all the missions to be the same after a while. The conditions of the playing field make things interesting.

I'm kind of partial towards the standard forest terrain. In full daylight it's like having a nice walk in a park. Oh, the maps aren't that great, with little practical cover. But it's nice to look at. At night, it's not so nice, but exciting at the same time when you get used to it. Same goes for the Jungle. But at least in the jungle there's plenty of 'fuel', which you can use to do most of your dirty work for you. :power:

The forests are fun when you fight mutons. You can sometimes lose sight of them in grassy fields - until you notice the gun or the face.

- NKF

On my last run through the game (superhuman), I filled a base with 50 troopers and psi facs to match. All armed. And a tank.

The base got attacked. Much to my happyness, there were soldiers ALL OVER THE PLACE.

A joy to behold. I couldn't kill the unfortunate aliens fast enough.

"There's a grey"

*five rookies pepper gun fire down the hall, and repeated performances occur simutaniously around the base*

Yeah, I can't say that I strongly prefer one mission type over the other, though there's a certain appeal in looking around a gutted UFO with smoke pouring out everywhere and dead aliens lying all over the place. On that note, I wonder how the exploding power cores are managed, mechanics-wise.

As for terrain, well, again, nothing I prefer strongly. The farmland can get annoying, because you have to search through all those bloody barns and whatnot. Then again, it's quite fun to vaporize a barn with a blaster bomb.

If I'm feeling impatient, I like the arctic terrain 'cause it's always wide open and I can get to the UFO and sweep the outside really quickly without worrying about aliens hiding in little one-square cubby holes. On the low end of the scale, the mountain terrain always looked kind of silly to me.

I like them all, was torn between terror site and recovery operations. Terror Sites are fun cause of all the hiding spots, all the sniping spots, all the big buildings you can level with a blaster launcher. Recovery Ops are fun cause you kinda fighting on the aliens terms. I don't find alien bases all that fun cause they're so predictable. Just like how on farmland sites there's always an laien at the top of the stairs in the barn.

If this was TFTD I woulda voted for alien bases and terror sites for obvious reasons