Chryssalids? Scary?

FullAuto

Ahem. Doesn't 80% Fire mean they ONLY take 80% damage from fire? Ie, fire does LESS to them?

What, you thought 90% means they only have 90% defence against stun?

... I don't think that's how this game works.

As for the whole, "Which is MOST EFFICIENT on Chrysallids" question: Eh, When I fire my autocannon-HE rounds in burst, it usually kills Chrysallids. When I send a burst of AP, at the same range, the results are far inferior.

Talking about pure vulnerabilities though, since I was the one who copied the ingame Ufopedia and wrote the weak to explosives thing, it'd be nice for someone to say what the ingame data actually says. Any hackers want to do it?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In other words, they have a 20% resistance to fire. Or, just multiply fire damage by 0.8 and there you have it. So for 4 fire damage, they only take 3 (or rather 3.2, but we drop the decimal point).

---

To help progress the AP-HE debate a little, I took the time this evening to find a snakeman battleship in my Solo Floater Base Assault savegame (which was a hard task, I can tell you, and getting my Lightning from the middle of Germany to Houston, Texas before hitting the 50% fuel bingo point... whoo!). Finally cornered a chryssalid. Planted two soldiers down in front of it and armed them with heavy cannons and AP and HE ammo. I saved and souped up their current TUs to 255 so that these two soldiers could simulate a small squad of soldiers firing heavy cannons during the same turn.

Chryssalid stats 96 health and 34 all-round armour. This is a superhuman chryssalid, by the way.

From several trials, the HE shells were able to get a definite kill between 4 - 6 shells. I did manage to drop it with 3, but it was still alive.

The AP shells on the other hand were more impressive. 2 - 3 shells for a definite kill. 2 shell kills were quite common, actually.

That's basically how I draw my conclusion. It's one of the least scientific methods, I admit, but it appears to be fairly consistent.

- NKF

Something else to take into consideration is that HE does splash damage, right? An AP shell will only do damage if it hits, but an HE shell that hits the wall just behind the chryssie will still do damage. Granted, that's less useful if the chryssie's in the middle of a field, but when your soldiers seem to always miss by just a tad, it might help.

Sure, I'll upload it to the usual place:

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/fun/testgames.html

To be fair, because of the random damage, the chryssalid could very well require anywhere between 2 to 6 AP shells to kill. Also, I was only counting direct hits with the HE shells.

I guess the difference between them is about 1 - 2 shells at most.

- NKF

Before I go crazy doing some testing on Chryssalids from that test game, I'd like to know one thing: Is the damage of the Heavy Cannon shells unaltered, or are the AP and HE shells modified to do the same damage? One never knows what NKF changes with his games. :blush:

- Zombie

Before I go crazy doing some testing on Chryssalids from that test game, I'd like to know one thing: Is the damage of the Heavy Cannon shells unaltered, or are the AP and HE shells modified to do the same damage? One never knows what NKF changes with his games.  :blush:

- Zombie

Doesn't sound like he did to me...

NKF, your test sounds the MOST scientific to me. Run a trial and base theory on results. Now, my only gripe is: if you're at the point in the game where you're not using lasers/plasma, perhaps your soldiers are not exactly the greatest shots in the world, especially with a heavy/auto cannon. When I was talking about my "most efficient" thingy, I was including the misses. Over a reasonable distance, with early soldiers, the HE ammo gave me far far better results.

Later on, eh, why use anything other than Laser Rifles, Heavy Plasma, Blaster Bombs and Psi?

As for Jellyfishgreen's question, so, it's confirmed? They're not weak against fire, they're extra strong against it?

Another thing. Don't explosive hit under armor? Instead of front back etc? For direct hits anyhow.

Oh, I don't know, I know I keep using the autocannon at that late a stage. I don't use it as much as in the beginning, but it's still a handy weapon to use. Sure, lasers and plasma weapons dominate as primary weapons, but I still hang on to some of the older weapons. About the only weapons I stop using is the standard rifle.

Even in the early stages, though individual soldiers aren't great shots, having a lot of soldiers with heavy and auto cannons can indeed do the trick. Pistols and rifles aren't that good against most terror units in the early stages of the game, and there's only so many heavy rockets you can lug into battle unless you arm everyone with them.

Zombie:

No, the weapon damage is unaltered, so the AP shells do get the advantage of a few more points of damage.

- NKF

Thanks, NKF. I'lll take that into consideration. :blush:

As for Jellyfishgreen's question, so, it's confirmed? They're not weak against fire, they're extra strong against it?

Another thing. Don't explosive hit under armor? Instead of front back etc? For direct hits anyhow.

JellyfishGreen just got the meaning switched around. Damage modifiers lower than 100% means that the alien will take less damage than normal.

Grenades hit under armor. Explosions in general affect the area shot at, just like all the other weapons in the game. Shoot at the ground, and splashover damage should reduce the under armor a bit. :)

- Zombie