Statistics

Pumpkinhead

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the civilian discussion. Recently I was thinking about civilians in general. It suddenly occurred to me that I never saw a civilian panic. Even worse, I never tried to see what would happen if I used a Psionic Panic attack on them either. So I set out to find if this was possible. (Heh, if tanks having a bravery of 110 can panic, then civilians with a bravery of only 80 should panic too). :D

Never fail, my radar systems spotted a Snakeman Terror Ship headed for S.E. Asia. Here's my chance. I waited for the terror site to form and sent my best psi-squad in along with 4 tanks for spotters. After killing all the aliens (except for a lone Snakeman soldier to prevent the mission from ending), I chose a civilian target and boxed it in with my tanks to prevent it from running off.

Let the panic attacks commence! During the first round my troopers let loose with an impressive salvo of panic "blings". 23 to be exact. Now I waited. Nothing. 10 rounds later, still nothing. Hmmm, something must be wrong. So I Mind Controlled the unfortunate civilian to see what was going on. Morale was indeed at 0, but that civilian didn't panic once.

Figuring that I did something improper, I reloaded the mission and tried again. Same deal. No matter how many times my troopers' psionically panicked the civilian or how many turns I waited, the civie was content to have morale remain at 0. Then a stroke of good luck hit. Because I didn't have the Mind Probe researched yet, I was using MC attacks to find out the stats of the poor civilian. Being curious, I waited a round until the civie turned to alien status from my mind control attack. Bam! I get the screen "Civilian has panicked". I reloaded a bunch more times and also got it to go berserk. Here are a couple of screenies:

Panicked_Civilian.pngBerserk_Civilian.png

Apparently, civies don't share the panic function like aliens and X-COM units do. (They are a completely different type of unit, you know). But as soon as its flag is set to either alien or X-COM it can panic or go berserk like anything else in the game. (I was hoping to discover a new strategy to keep civilians from wandering into a raging fire-fight during a terror mission by using panic attacks to "root" them to one spot. Alas, no such luck). :D

- Zombie

What a lousy terror attack if the aliens can't even panic the civilians. Shred and eat them, yes; panic, no.  :skull:

How true. You know, I don't recall aliens ever trying to Mind Control civilians. Too bad for them. Little would they realize that after one round the MC'd civie would be under their permanent control. :D

- Zombie