vanilla or mod?

nzgunner

I'm just starting out with AL and I'm wondering if people would recommend modding the game straight away or playing it through unmodded?

(NB while I'm here I may as well make an initial observation - what a weak manual this game has, there are so many things that you have to work out through trial and error, just as well I've also played AM and AS so I know the basics)

I'm just starting out with AL and I'm wondering if people would recommend modding the game straight away or playing it through unmodded?

(NB while I'm here I may as well make an initial observation - what a weak manual this game has, there are so many things that you have to work out through trial and error, just as well I've also played AM and AS so I know the basics)

That's up to you mate. I'm just about to finish it off playing vanilla, I think the only thing I would change would be to add the mod that gets you reticulan armour a lot faster. To be honest I thought this was easily the most balanced UFO game I've played. I don't really see a need for the weapons rebalance mod.

Agree about the manual though! There is a wiki somewhere though to which people are building their own manual. Go to the main forums to check it out. It seems to be an oddity of East European developers and publishers that they expect you to figure out how to play the game as much as actually play it! S.T.A.L.K.E.R suffers from the same affliction, as did Hammer & Sickle.