Sniping is no more Pleasing

Reichelite

Everyone who has played UFO AS could not forget the importance of a good sinper, I admit part of the reason could be the weakened rocket weapons. In defensive missions my first task was choosing a sinper site and order my sinper to occupy it with fastest speed. Now in AL, rockets are strenghtened, while all the good memory on sniping is gone.

Sniper rifle only does projectile damage, it means unless you use projectile weapon, or you can't choose detailed body parts to shoot at, while in AS almost every series of weapons(projectile, laser, sonic...) have sniper modification. AND, the range of sinper rifle is less than 50m, how can we call it SNIPER SHOT ? Considering the thinner atmosphere and smaller grativity on Mars, it's not difficult to send a little metal thing 2000m away, and we also have a BIG map, why not giving our sinper the chance of a good hunt ? AND the most important : your sniper never improves his accuracy as he improves his level. In the max range he has a good chance to miss the specified body part, while a laser cannon without scope can deal it much easier and faster.

In a word, sinper is greatly weakened in AL, which I couldn't agree. Hope somebody can find the balance in MODs.

Sure snipers sucks in 'normal' close quarter combat due to them not being fast enough to have any impact on flow of battle.

But in combat situations where you are in control they still rule the battlefield dropping enemies right and left without them never knowing what hit them.

The element of surprise is very very essential for a sniper to be effective.

In UFO: Afterlight the snipers specialty is to target individual body parts and to some extent taking down enemies far off.

In real life a snipers primary assignment is to take down enemies from very long distances. If they can target individual body parts is up to how good they are and their weapon.

Everyone who has played UFO AS could not forget the importance of a good sinper, now in AL, rockets are strenghtened, while all the good memory on sniping is gone.

Sniper rifle only does projectile damage,....

In a word, sinper is greatly weakened in AL, which I couldn't agree. Hope somebody can find the balance in MODs.

Feel free to try out my 21CW mod, it adds a big sniper rifle with a own type of ammunition, as projectile weapons are somewhat less effective against advanced enemys, while this weapon will kick their asses.

It has a greater range but in the current version its only possible to do a aimed shot though as this weapon is ment to be a hull cracker against heavily armored targets. As i dont have the time to test out every possibility i would appreciate some feedback and suggestions. :(

I havent got a sniper yet,but I sure will use one when the time comes.I believe a sniper's main role is as CG said,to shoot things a long way away and targetting body parts hehe,but for ME it is the sniper's DUTY to eliminate high priority targets,like leaders,captains ect.Remove those targets and you seriously affect the enemy's morale and/or effectiveness ect.They are also used in real life for counter sniper operations,where they themselves kill other snipers who may be hounding a squad.

As far as targetting body parts,that would be a secondary concern for me,more importantly its the ability to pin down and eliminate serious threats,like the MCU and BM captains/chiefs

In fact it doesnt matter where you shoot the target,the effect is devastating either way,just shoot someone in the leg with a sniper rifle,and see where it lands! Dont forget the famous "cabbage pop" too,the head shot!

:(

it's true that the human projectile weapons kinda suck out of box.

however, take an improved accellerator, gyro, computerized scope, and LR ammo. and you can reach out and touch someone at 54 m w/ 99ish % accuracy and even pick out body parts you like.

and better than rockets or grenades you can do it instantly, and don't have to change magazines between shots.

laser cannon are powerful, but they don't get better. when using precision shot mode sniper rifles have a heck of a lot more damage potential. and just Try to take out a battlearmored reticulan with a laser...aaaagh.

to make the human firearms work they need a lot of attachments, on the other hand they're readily available for fewer resources than the lasers.

as far as the role of a sniper. primarily to take out selected targets with precision, although i think in the army they designate such ppl as designated marksmen. in the end it doesn't matter if they're near or far, although being far away tends to help the whole surviving to tell the tale part, and certainly differentiates between a sniper and any old shooter.