Windows 98 Boot Screens

kai

After much searching, I've found a set of custom startup screens for Windows 98. I can't remember where I found them but they have X-COM pictures and for the startup screen, it has the text "loading mission parameters" and an engine shutdown message for shutting down.

Only problem is that I can't remember how to use them, it comes as 2 files. logo.sys and logo2.sys

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to install the screens?

I actually made the screens he's referring to. Just looked in the files section and they're not there - my bad I'll have to see if they're on my old computer.

It's either in your C: directory or your C:\windows directory that the default Win98 versions are kept. Make a copy of them and replace them with the two files you've got there - the filenames should be the same.

Should work perfectly.

It would replace the black screen with the moving bar on it beneath the XP logo. I imagine many poeple are in the same boat as me and have to endure it for at least fifteen seconds or so :drink:

The problem with UFO EU and orhter X-COM themes is I designed them for 800x600 and they looked pretty blocky on that sooo... my 1152 x whatever res would make it look very poor indeed.

Now... Afterlight themes? I could just about manage that I think, but maybe when I'm not so busy :drink: Still plenty of time til it's released.

Well after I get the blank desktop with background for 30 seconds followed by the icons all appearing one by one I still have to wait about 3 minutes before I can do anything useful. :drink: That's AFTER clearing out as much as I can from startup and registry. :drink:

Think it may be getting to that time where a complete format and re-install may be needed. But I just hate the hastle of setting everything up the way I want it again. It's taken me about a year to get it to how I want it at the moment. :drink: